Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is this knob for?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

Besides the left-handed ignition, it’s my favorite **** on the car. I find that mine works perfectly. There is almost an infinite amount of vairability to account for just about any rain scenario, and I even adjust it many times while driving, etc.

I don’t have the poor wiper issue that some have mentioned. The wipers on my car work great, although I’ve found that most 911s above 80mph don’t even need wipers - the rain just beads up and off over the windshield. I’ve experienced this on multiple different 911 models.

Also, rain in a Cabriolet mostly runs over the cabin - again, above 80mph. I’ve been in the rain with the top down and been completely dry even while raining. This is great when there are intermittent downpours that only last a couple mins, or great when you can keep driving to pull over under a bridge to stop and put the top up - staying pretty much dry the whole time.

You have to marvel at Porsche designer to account for these things. These are some of the reasons these cars are so great.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
...You have to marvel at Porsche designer to account for these things. These are some of the reasons these cars are so great.
Can't agree more! Even my 944 had some amazing engineering, it's what the Germans excel at!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM
alabamatoy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I find that mine works perfectly. There is almost an infinite amount of vairability to account for just about any rain scenario, and I even adjust it many times while driving, etc.
X2. I wish my other cars had something similar. We get 60+ inches of rain here...I have found the 911 wipers to be quite good. Agree with the others who find the whole concept of wipers becomes moot at speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this knob for?