Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoFred
Had horrible experiences with the OEM vent-mounted product and saw plenty of other designs that were either expensive, interfered with dash functions, or both. Finally found this one, and was blown away but not only the functionality but also the quality. Price is $25. https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

I just got one of those also. BEST DAMN CUPHOLDER! I mounted mine on the passenger side, easier to grab my travel mug
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not today but on Saturday - a cold long day under the car.
tranny mount - it's time consuming but easy with that special AGA tool. The mount was not in terrible shape but worth replacing
motor mounts - super easy - Those old mounts were shot. The motor is at least an inch to and inch and a half higher.
serpentine belt - I was certain I would remember how to put it back on - WRONG - I was stumped and to go back and look at the photo.
oil and filter - super easy
air filter

I've got a factory short shifter and since I got the car a couple of weeks ago, I've felt like the shifter was notchy and a bit vague. As others suggested here, new motor and tranny mounts would help and they did. Before the when the stick was in neutral, it would tend to rest slightly to the left of center. Now it sits directly between third and fourth gear. I also think the mounts helped with the feel of the car. Before I changed the mounts, when I got to 75 or 80, the back end seemed just a bit noisy, almost like there was a slight vibration. Now, it's just smooth.

Here's a photo of the old and new mounts. I went with the OEM mounts.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

^^ Nice! The new motor mounts get rid of that "water sloshing in a bucket" feeling on tight turns - they really firm up the back end of the car.!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob Mays

I own a collision center in Dallas. You are going to be painting the whole side. More than likely replacing the door - unless you want a lot of metal work and some material in all the panels. These cars are very hard to PDR and glue-pull technology can pull the paint off. I know one guy that can possibly PDR that, but I am sure it will require painting. To do it 100% right by the “book” for whatever that is worth. Detrim the whole car. Pull front and rear covers, all lamps, fender (repair), door (replace), R/I or replace qtr glass. I would have to pull the OEM procedures. Porsche requires most fasteners be replaced. I fix a lot of smaller Porsche repairs and could easily do this one. But Porsche restricts a lot of parts and require factory certs for structural components - tubs, weld/riveted parts, etc. Stuart’s in Dallas Burbs is the go to guy for that. We usually sublet structural operations to him - he has the Celet (sp) Bench and “jigs.” So sorry it happened to you. I hate painting cars. We are really good at it. Just completed a minor repair to a Maserati Gran Turismo ans it was $2500. My first guess is $4500-$5800 for you and that is no door or door replace. My guessing is usually pretty solid. But I could be way off. Have to use my software, pull the OE procedures and itemize. Best of luck to you.
That's a bummer! I had that exact damage to the front right "wing" on my car (a small tree fell out of the woods - couldn't see it at dusk). Good thing it missed the light! My repair was around $2k for new wing (genuine Porsche) with paint... I would imagine the door will be at least that much again - much more labor. I think the $4500 - $5800 is a close estimate... Good luck

Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

What about sourcing used parts , the wings are bolt on , no welding required, just get a paint shop to paint them for you, I'm in uk but know a guy local to me who just breaks Porsche cars and ships worldwide , he will have what you need, PM me if you want his details ok
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 AM
Rob Mays
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
What about sourcing used parts , the wings are bolt on , no welding required, just get a paint shop to paint them for you, I'm in uk but know a guy local to me who just breaks Porsche cars and ships worldwide , he will have what you need, PM me if you want his details ok
Femder is repairable. The door is the challenge. Yes, you can buy used parts, but they usually need clean up and “just painting” is not that simple. Plus a used door has a lot of parts we do not need and will require disassembly on top of the already damaged door, so more labor. A new door comes ready to paint in e-coat, so less prep work. The challenge here is silver color. If it was a black car, much easier, but silver requires “blending of adjacent panels.” Was just discussing this in Ferrari Chat and a silver front bumper of a 360. The only good thing about black is easier painting with regards to match. Always looks great, but care, dirt and heat in TX, makes me swear off black cars 😁.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. My insurance co. (Grundy) is sending someone out to inspect the car and estimate cost to repair. Given the difficulty in matching Arctic Silver Metallic, I wonder if I can convince him to authorize repainting the entire car. They seem easy to work with to this point and allow me to select the repair shop.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

If it's an insurance job, source only genuine Porsche parts - don't let them use Chinese parts to save $ - it'll cost you in the long run (and probably won't look "right")... Good luck
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Rob Mays
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Thanks for the suggestions. My insurance co. (Grundy) is sending someone out to inspect the car and estimate cost to repair. Given the difficulty in matching Arctic Silver Metallic, I wonder if I can convince him to authorize repainting the entire car. They seem easy to work with to this point and allow me to select the repair shop.
Grundy can be pretty generous. I alway advise painting as little as possible. Personally I would demand a complete paint for color match and then keep that money and negotiate with the shop doing the work. You are taking the money as a loss in “value” as a repaired and painted Porsche is worth less than one that is original. Some states allow diminished value and you could argue that after repairs, but I like the cash up front. Complete paint of a 911 properly is $8500ish.

There are no Chinese structural/sheet metal components in the estimating software. They may exist, but not when writing estimates. There will be in lighting/reflectors and some plastic bits, but Grundy will write all OEM. All the best. You can PM me and I can Audit the estimate just to see how it looks in about 15min with an email copy. All the best!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I put the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on the car today, the I had it washed and put it away for the winter. Man, those tires are sticky!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
I just got one of those also. BEST DAMN CUPHOLDER! I mounted mine on the passenger side, easier to grab my travel mug
I just received one but it doesn't seem very secure. Did you just tuck the tongue under the leather trim piece?
Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

yes its a pressure fit! Easier to grab cup and all on the passenger side. Fits UNDER the center console make sure you aren't trying to just slip it under the leather
Old 12-14-2018, 04:39 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
yes its a pressure fit! Easier to grab cup and all on the passenger side. Fits UNDER the center console make sure you aren't trying to just slip it under the leather
Thanks. I probably just have it under the leather trim piece.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Something I s I should have done when I swapped motors, an O-ring failure on my PS line. Live and learning the hard way!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
You may have heard we are expecting a major snowstorm in NC starting tomorrow. So, I decided to take the Porsche out for a drive, since I likely won’t be using it for at least a week. Bad mistake. Just as I created a hill, 3 deer decided to run across the road. Two missed me, but the third ran directly into the passenger side front fender, then spun around and tagged the door. Fortunately, the damage isn’t too bad, but I think some paint will be required,and I’m worried it won’t match closely. Now I’m looking the recommendations for body shops in the area.
Note the fur stuck in the door handle.

Great, you killed Rudolph.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?