Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can I upgrade my 996 center console instrumentation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

One more question... does your Sony system contain CD player/Nav/Bluetooth?

Thank you,
Steve
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

It’s easy to move the climate controls to the lower position. The wires are long enough, and the mounting points are there already.

One thing to note is that Bluetooth telephone connectivity is fairly useless in a 996. The interior cabin noise from tires and engine is too loud to have a reasonable conversation.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:18 AM
dbwisle
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve - my car had the climate control located lower and the radio and a cup holder were upper...you will need to move your climate control to a lower position, mine is in the middle lower location, under an open storage area and above the “batwing”, a solid piece (some contain switches) closest to the shift console. I installed a double DIN head unit so that took up the space for the single DIN (standard) radio and I completely removed the cup holder insert (highest location), this allowed perfect fit for a new double DIN unit. Relocating the climate control to a lower location is standard operating procedure, ...depending on your console trim pieces, you may need to get a trim piece that fits around the climate control in the lower location (it is a different size, but they are available cheap). I’ve had all the components out, including the climate control to replace the LCD glass (a simple task for $70), you will just need to disconnect the wiring harnesses and move things around, sounds simple, take your time, do your homework, you will learn some and it is actually kinda fun. The Sony head unit has Apple Car Play which works wired or Bluetooth, has navigation (via the phone)...they sell units with built in navigation like the Garmin units but you only need those if you are using you navigation and are in an area where your phone does not get a signal, so I didn’t buy that; pretty sure the Sony didn’t have it anyway; I think the Sony has a similar model with a CD player, I didn’t buy that one since my phone is the source for my music, when I’m not at home. Even the amplifier was pretty standard once I figured out what I was supposed to do: run source signal from head unit (via rca jacks) to amp, power amp from new location (car battery), connect amp to car speaker wires...some minor mods needed but if you take your time, I can almost guarantee you can do better than the pros...
Old 07-08-2018, 11:25 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
One thing to note is that Bluetooth telephone connectivity is fairly useless in a 996. The interior cabin noise from tires and engine is too loud to have a reasonable conversation.
It might depend on which system you have. I have the iSimple bluetooth adapter for my CDR-220. I have the mic installed in the A pillar, just above the visor. I frequently have phone conversations with the top down in my cabriolet at 40 mph. People on the other end have no problem hearing me. Needless to say, I'm talking at a higher volume than I would if I was on a regular phone.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
It might depend on which system you have. I have the iSimple bluetooth adapter for my CDR-220. I have the mic installed in the A pillar, just above the visor. I frequently have phone conversations with the top down in my cabriolet at 40 mph. People on the other end have no problem hearing me. Needless to say, I'm talking at a higher volume than I would if I was on a regular phone.
Glad to hear yours is okay. I had a Motorola bluetooth kit originally, then I had the Kenwood system installed. Neither were great for calls.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 PM
alabamatoy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Not according to the people I talk to with mine. I have even used it with the top down, and it was workable as long as I kept the speed below about 50.

Having installed numerous stereos in numerous vehicles over the years, including the Kenwood unit in my 996, I strongly recommend Crutchfield.com Their kits are bulletproof, and their tech support is very helpful.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I wish I had spoken with you when I still owned my 996! I tried it with the mic on the top of the a-pillar, and also in the center, near the rear view mirror. It sucked in both locations. It was better in my 997, and it’s better in my 991.

Quick Reply: Can I upgrade my 996 center console instrumentation?