Sponsored by:

2001 911(996) or 2006 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2001 911(996) or 2006 Cayman S

I posted this yesterday in the 987-981 board.
I got a lot of response that was leaning towards the Cayman. Although I think the Cayman may be a great car I still feel the 911 would be the smarter choice for me. So what do the 996 guys think?

Hello, I've been mostly lurking here for years. I am looking to buy a car now. I have loved the Cayman since I first saw in on the lot in Las Vegas back in 2006. My wife is on her second Cayenne S, and we are PCA members.
I'm looking at 2 cars now and wanting any advice on these two cars. 1st is a 2001 911 with 54000 miles. I drove it last night. Black on black, full leather, updated Kenwood head unit, manual shift. This car seems in great shape newish tires, clutch and engine fell very strong. Seller has recent PPI and a ton of receipts, I didn't get into the paperwork yet and told the seller that I wanted to look at another car before I make up my mind. He's asking $22K which is high KBB Private Party sale.

Car 2 is a 2006 Cayman S. Sport Crono and PASM, 78,000 miles. Pictures look very nice, black leather with dark wood trim. Also manual shift. Asking price $22,900, also high PP KBB.
My intended use will be a fun weekend car, PCA drives, DE track time and maybe even an AutoX or two.
Assuming both cars are in good shape, which should suit my needs best. What should I offer and not offend? Any comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The Caymen will make for a better track car. You need to drive both and feel the difference.
Over low KBB and see where it goes, let each seller know that you are making multiple overs at the same time.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:07 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

If you want just an opinion, I would lean towards the Cayman for your intended use due to the differences in the motors. I see a lot of the Caymans racing in the Continental Tire Series at the track. Nothing beats a 911/996 for sheer driving pleasure and fun, but they are expensive to maintain and mod for track time.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Surfndav
Racer

I'm not planning on making it a track car (yet), I may track it for fun a time or two. So that's not a big concern for me. The other issue is the cayman is over 100 miles away, and the 911 is only 10, so convenience. As for the KBB, is that the go-to gage for pricing?
I'm going back to see the car tonight with my wife in tow. She is into this as well, and she likes the 911 better than the cayman. I'm more on the fence.
I'm more interested in the fact that the car has only 53,800 miles, being a 2001 , I'm sure it has the single row IMS. The seller say's the car has the original clutch so I would think that the IMS is original. The seller also said he has a PPI recently done, I'll be looking that over, and maybe even making a call to the shop that did it. The question I have to the forum on this subject is, should I plan to have the clutch and the IMS done right away, or wait until the clutch is needing to be replaced? When I drove the car the clutch seemed in good shape. So that may be 10K miles or more before it needs replacing. I can afford to do it any time, but what is the smart play?

Here is a photo of the car and a screenshot of the KBB. The KBB is set to Very Good Condition.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

IF you are torn between the two you should bias your decision to 911....because once you buy a cayman you will always be envying those with a 911. Both have IMS issues, but the 911 one is one you can upgrade, not sure about the cayman because that may need to have the case split to upgrade so bottom line only the 911 is a garranteed upgradeable IMS.

Wont go wrong with either though

Good luck
Old 07-04-2018, 03:17 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd do it right away. Does your wife know about the downside (mine sure doesn't) to these cars?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I'd do it right away. Does your wife know about the downside (mine sure doesn't) to these cars?
LOL, yes she's quite well informed. I'm guessing you mean the downside as in track time cost, constant upgrades, high maintenance cost (replacing tires and breaks every 5000 miles due to driving it like a race car), not to mention the time that will be committed to the Porsche obsession which will undoubtedly be taking time away from romantic walks on the beach and such. So I guess she'll have to learn to live with it.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you driven both?

For me personally, what gets me every time is the rear-engine rear-wheel drive characteristics when accelerating out of a turn. The 911 is unique in that and it’s the single most enjoyable aspect of the 996 for me. Especially out on a track. There’s nothing comparable.

The Cayman is a great machine though. Weight is pretty much the same, so no real difference there.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Surfndav
Racer

My plan right now is to make what I believe is a fair offer on the 911 tonight. If we can come to an agreement, I'll be the new owner of this 911. If not I'll be contacting the Cayman owner and see where that leads.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Originally Posted by Elumere
Have you driven both?

For me personally, what gets me every time is the rear-engine rear-wheel drive characteristics when accelerating out of a turn. The 911 is unique in that and it’s the single most enjoyable aspect of the 996 for me. Especially out on a track. There’s nothing comparable.

The Cayman is a great machine though. Weight is pretty much the same, so no real difference there.
This is what I've heard over and over here on the internet, as well as a few 1st hand personal accounts. I'm hoping to become familiar with this phenomenon.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

The single best action to aid in your decision is to drive both. I’d recommend driving multiple versions of each. Only you can decide which is for you despite specs, maintenance and online options, only you can decide which you prefer and only after diffident seat time in each.

From what I know, the cayman is a better car. A newer low mileage cayman can be had for the same money as an older higher mileage 911. But for me it was an easy decision. I did not want to buy the better car and then list over every 911 o saw there after with regret.

Yes the cayman is more balanced. It’s a better drivers car. And it’s likely quicker around most circuits. But there’s just something about a 911. It’s an experience that can be had in no other car, and that was enough for me.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. So I'll give a brief history of my fascination with the Porsche brand. In 1970 I was 8 or 9, going to church was the norm in my house. One Sunday after church I saw something very interesting in the parking lot that I couldn't take my eyes off of. It was a red 914. It was such a departure from all the other cars I had seen before, so sleek and sporty. I grew up in Oklahoma City and there weren't a lot of Porsches back in the day. After probably 10 minutes or so of drooling the owner came out to leave. I guess he saw the look in my eyes and ask if I wanted to go for a ride. I did, so we went off to find my mom and ask her if it would be okay, and it was. As I remember it was a very uneventful ride that was only 10 minutes or less, but I instantly had an affinity for the brand.
I remember being 16 or 17 and seeing my first 911 turbo driving down the street. Another normally uneventful thing that was burned into my head. Fast forward and I have owned 2 Cayenne S's, but never a P car.
At this point in my life, I need to get things paid for so that I can retire someday. So that means no more car loans. I could continue to save my Porsche pennies and in another year or two, I may have enough to get a 997.2 or maybe even a 997.2S. But why wait. I'm thinking a 996 (or maybe a Cayman) is probably 90% the car that a 997.2 is and I can have it now.
If all goes as planned, I should have all my debts settled in 3 to 4 more years, at that point I can upgrade if I feel the need, and I think I can have a lot of fun in the meantime.
So that's my story, and I'm stick'n to it.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:57 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Pay off your debts, and buy a porsche when you can afford to pay cash.

Drive each of the cars and pick the one that ticks more boxes for you.

Personally, I’d own a Cayman (S), but only as a second car to a 911 already in the garage. There is something very unique to the 911 driving experience.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Drive the Cayman before you make a decision. If you're a guy who wants a 997 and gets a 996 because it's cheaper, you may be happier with the 987.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:01 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

The smarter choice would be the Cayman. The only reason to get the 911 is if you need the rear seats. I don’t think you will always envy a 911-owner. It’s not like the Cayman is the 944 or 914 “poor man’s” Porsche. It’s simpler, cheaper, yes, but not any worse. Some think it’s better, actually. What Porsche won the recent 24 hours of Le Mans GT class? A mid-engined Porsche.

Quick Reply: 2001 911(996) or 2006 Cayman S