Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between 2qt deep sump oil pan kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What is the difference between 2qt deep sump oil pan kits?

What is the difference between the "LN Engineering engine oil deep sump kit LN-990141020" and the "Bilt Racing 2QT deep sump oil pan kit SKU 106-00.1"? I have seen both kits on different web sites using the same picture. The LN Engineering site has the Bilt kit listed. Did 106-00.1 supersede LN-990141020? If so, what is the difference?

I joined the drivers club at Road Atlanta and now I have no excuse not to track my '99 996. Two mods I am going to make prior to the first track day on July 24th are the deep sump kit and a third radiator plus low temperature thermostat. I am also going to go through the brakes. New flex brake lines, fluid, rotors, and pads. These item should address three important functions; keeping oil flowing in the engine, keeping the heads from cracking on my 3.4, and being able to slow down.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Also please let me know what oil you plan to use. When I was running Mobil 1 on the track, I was getting oil pressure issues in long, sweeping right-handed turns. Seemingly this is caused mostly by aeration and not a viscosity issue. A lot of 996s have this problem, and even after replacing parts with deep sump kits and the like.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the difference between the "LN Engineering engine oil deep sump kit LN-990141020" and the "Bilt Racing 2QT deep sump oil pan kit SKU 106-00.1"?

From what I can see the difference is the vehicle they are designed for, one is for Cayman the other 996.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

EJ is correct. The best price I found for the kit is from Arizona Autohaus: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/LN-990...SABEgJ9UvD_BwE

It's almost $200 cheaper than from other places (with the free shipping added to the savings). I don't want to take money away from LN (since they are FANTASTIC people), but I assume they sold them to Arizona Autohaus, so they are making money too. Plus the $200 in savings is enough for you to buy a case of XP9 for LN.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
What is the difference between the "LN Engineering engine oil deep sump kit LN-990141020" and the "Bilt Racing 2QT deep sump oil pan kit SKU 106-00.1"?

From what I can see the difference is the vehicle they are designed for, one is for Cayman the other 996.
According to the LN Engineering site, a single kit fits all 1997 - 2008 M96/M97 engines.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
EJ is correct. The best price I found for the kit is from Arizona Autohaus: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/LN-990...SABEgJ9UvD_BwE

It's almost $200 cheaper than from other places (with the free shipping added to the savings). I don't want to take money away from LN (since they are FANTASTIC people), but I assume they sold them to Arizona Autohaus, so they are making money too. Plus the $200 in savings is enough for you to buy a case of XP9 for LN.
This is what got me to post the question. $200 seems to be too much of a delta for the kit to be the same.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
This is what got me to post the question. $200 seems to be too much of a delta for the kit to be the same.
It is the same kit. I bought mine from AZ autohouse, and it is the correct LN kit with 997 returns, metal door baffle, and windage tray to keep the oil pick up submerged. And, $200 cheaper.
Also, ECS had third radiator full kit with all hardware, mounting, and OE hoses for a smoking deal (~$450 iirc).
Old 07-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
They are both the same kit. We rebranded all the LN track products to BRS almost 4 years ago. The difference is when a reseller last updated their catalog information, where they are pulling descriptions from, or what ecommerce supplier they are partnered with (SSF, IMC, or Worldpac) for order fulfillment.

Variations on price also have to do on who they are having it drop shipped from and sometimes resellers use certain products as loss leaders. LN has no control over what price resellers offer their products for or what they are advertised at.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
They are both the same kit. We rebranded all the LN track products to BRS almost 4 years ago. The difference is when a reseller last updated their catalog information, where they are pulling descriptions from, or what ecommerce supplier they are partnered with (SSF, IMC, or Worldpac) for order fulfillment.

Variations on price also have to do on who they are having it drop shipped from and sometimes resellers use certain products as loss leaders. LN has no control over what price resellers offer their products for or what they are advertised at.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference is kits due to an important update of components.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between 2qt deep sump oil pan kits?