Sponsored by:

Updated Ignition Coils (thicker) Protective Plate doesnt fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

A simple trick to keeping washers from coming off before they're installed is to use a drop of superglue.
It dries fast and holds long enough.
It will keep the washer in place long enough to get everything in its spot.
Often the washer will come loose from the head of the bolt once you start to tighten them.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I'm getting ready to do this. Where did you buy the studs and do you have the specs?
The original bolts are M6 x 16, so I think I got the SS studs as M6 x 24 (I'm pretty sure I tried M6 x 21 and M6 x 24...got a set of both), enough threads to go in the head, place another nut (5 MM thick) on the stud (also provides some locking of the stud in the head), then the heat shields, then a M6 locking nut with a flat washer. I got the studs at a specialty fastener shop in town. Looked something like this:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
The original bolts are M6 x 16, so I think I got the SS studs as M6 x 24 (I'm pretty sure I tried M6 x 21 and M6 x 24...got a set of both), enough threads to go in the head, place another nut (5 MM thick) on the stud (also provides some locking of the stud in the head), then the heat shields, then a M6 locking nut with a flat washer. I got the studs at a specialty fastener shop in town.
Thanks. Looks like a great workaround.
I assume that the 24 is the length. Do you know the thread type? This is the closest thing I've been able to find online:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...x?product=8737

Last edited by wyovino; 07-13-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:34 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neto
So I am in process of updating the ignition coils on my 1999 P car for the thicker ones (99760210702) that superseded the original ones One issue that I am facing is that the aluminum protective coil cover/plate now does not fit. Does Porsche sell an updated one or should we just not use it

thanks
I'm almost certain the early 996s need a spacer to get the heat shields to clear the updated coils. There is an official Porsche part number for these but it would probably be cheaper and easier to just use something from lowes or ace hardware.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:55 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I'd be interested in seeing what is used. I just used the M6 x 25 bolts from the the old coils to fasten the shield. With the old coils in place, the heat shield rested against the plastic part of the coil. With the new style coils, the heat shield rests against the bolts that hold the coil in place. I'm curious as to why it would need a spacer. Also, what heat is the shield protecting against? Since the coils are connected to the heads, it seems like they would only be shielded from the muffler, which I would think would be a little cooler than the block. Maybe it's just shielding the coils from road debris?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the newer updated coil packs on my 99. I did not have any problem with the original heat shield using the original 10mm bolts. I was pretty worried about the heat shield not fitting with all that I read on the forums and then having to find and locate new bolts and nuts and such. But I was pleasantly surprised. Just snug the bolts on until tight but don't over tighten to where you start bending the hell out of the heat shield. And yes, the heat shield will touch the new updated bolts but I'm not bothered by that. I only wish Porsche would have come up with an updated heat shield along with the updated coil packs.

As for the actual coil pack install, especially if you are doing all 6 (which I highly recommend), it went much easier for me with the bumper, muffler, and heat shield removed. Those items took me about 30 minutes to remove. Removing the 3 nuts to the muffler bracket consumed the most time because the ratchet will only click once and so takes forever to get each nut off. So much better and clear access as opposed to fighting those last coil packs on each side. For those that can get to those last 2 coils I salute you. Not having a lift and baking in the 100 degree heat made the last two almost impossible for me, until I removed everything. The spark plugs were easy to install and I did not use a torque wrench to tighten them down. There comes a point where the plugs will not screw in anymore and that's where you stop. Getting a couple of the electrical connectors back on were somewhat of a pain. If you don't hear the click, then just use a long metal extension or bar and get some leverage on the connector to get it to lock. Make sure you pull on them afterwards just to make sure they are locked in place. As for the one connector that did not have the rubber protective boot, I just duct taped some electrical tape around it.

Overall, a very simple job once everything is removed. Man I love these cars. Once you get the hang of it, they are fairly easy to work on.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:48 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done my spark plugs twice now and gone in there another two times to make sure they didn't loosen up. I never removed anything to do this. Having a good horizontal bit driver is key. However, I have removed the front bumper to clean radiator ducts and that probably isn't much harder than removing rear bumper.

Last edited by USNA1970; 08-11-2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to necro an old thread, but does anyone know what year the coil packs were updated? I have an 04, trying to figure out if I need longer bolts or not.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by boingolover
Sorry to necro an old thread, but does anyone know what year the coil packs were updated? I have an 04, trying to figure out if I need longer bolts or not.
If it ain't broke...
Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boingolover
I think they were updated for the 997
Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I just recently went from the old style to the new style coils. You don't need to buy any new bolts for the heat shield. Reuse the bolts from the old coils for the heat shield. They are the correct length, width, and thread count. The coils come with new longer bolts.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I just recently went from the old style to the new style coils. You don't need to buy any new bolts for the heat shield. Reuse the bolts from the old coils for the heat shield. They are the correct length, width, and thread count. The coils come with new longer bolts.
I think the issue that I as well as others have run into, is that the heat shields don't clear the new taller coils without using spacers/standoffs... Are you saying that yours do clear? Are you sure that the shields aren't sitting on the coils? Clarification would be appreciated - Thanks
Old 11-16-2018, 02:26 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

The shields are now touching the top of the coil screws, which protrude from the newer coils. I'm not convinced that they are "heat" shields. I think they're just to keep debris/rain from hitting the coils. The coils are bolted to the block, so how would an external piece of metal shield them from heat? Porsche calls them "Trim plates".

The new coils aren't higher than the old ones, it's just that the screw holes are no longer recessed.

Last edited by wyovino; 11-16-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Updated Ignition Coils (thicker) Protective Plate doesnt fit