996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ageing rear window seal replacement problems

Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Ageing rear window seal replacement problems

So I’m restoring all aspects of my 996. The rear window seal was coming up in the bottom corners. I decided to buy a new seal and payed $72 at the Porsche parts and service center in Beverly Hills.

I had read it was an easy “take of the old insert the new” kind of job. Unfortunately it wasn’t.

After removing the old seal, the new one didn’t fit and probably had 4 inches of slack. The service team was nice enough to help me out and they gave me a container so I could try to shrink the seal with hot water from the coffee machine. They told me they had never changed a rear window seal on a 996 but in the older cars (993 and older) it was a bitch.

I was able to shrink the rubber about 2 inches. In the end there was a large hole on the bottom left corner of the window. My attempt to restore the seal for aesthetic reasons ended up giving me a worse result. Had to fill the hole up with silicone until I find an alternative option.

Have any of you changed the rear window seal on a 996?

what are your thoughts?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Chodey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Corner of the seal on mine was coming off too. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to stick it back down. Seems to work fine.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, I've replaced mine.

I had the same issue, went around and then had a bunch of slack left. I even asked the dealership if it was the right part! I tried to return it but it was out of the packet and they said no... So I tried again, no hot water needed.

You need to spread the slack across the entrie section.

It does fit correctly.

For me I assumed that because the old one came out in the correct shape the new one would go in as easily as the old one came out. Not the case, not sure what you've done to the new one but it sounds like you've shrunk it too far! Could try and stretch it out or just buy another one.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yes, I've replaced mine.

I had the same issue, went around and then had a bunch of slack left. I even asked the dealership if it was the right part! I tried to return it but it was out of the packet and they said no... So I tried again, no hot water needed.

You need to spread the slack across the entrie section.

It does fit correctly.

For me I assumed that because the old one came out in the correct shape the new one would go in as easily as the old one came out. Not the case, not sure what you've done to the new one but it sounds like you've shrunk it too far! Could try and stretch it out or just buy another one.
Thanks to your input I went back and carefully removed the seal and carefully went inch by inch fiting it inside it’s channel making sure it didn’t stretch at all. Result is perfect now! I removed the silicone we used and it looks perfect now. Thank you so much! That’s why I love these forums.

Today I also had my headlights refinished by a mobile headlight restorer Clear-Cut Headlight restoration in LA and the results are also perfect. My car looks great!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney

Thanks to your input I went back and carefully removed the seal and carefully went inch by inch fiting it inside it’s channel making sure it didn’t stretch at all. Result is perfect now! I removed the silicone we used and it looks perfect now. Thank you so much! That’s why I love these forums.

Today I also had my headlights refinished by a mobile headlight restorer Clear-Cut Headlight restoration in LA and the results are also perfect. My car looks great!
What's the number of the part you used? There are 2 different part #'s that I see... #8 & 9 in this diagram http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=805-00 Did you do both or just #9 ?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i'll just pay to have someone do mine. Mine has been messed up ever since I purchased the car and has been on my list for quiet sometime. MoeMonney, how much did you pay to get your headlights restored?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
What's the number of the part you used? There are 2 different part #'s that I see... #8 & 9 in this diagram http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=805-00 Did you do both or just #9 ?
I used #9 for year 02 and up (my car is an '04)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
I think i'll just pay to have someone do mine. Mine has been messed up ever since I purchased the car and has been on my list for quiet sometime. MoeMonney, how much did you pay to get your headlights restored?
The part number is 996-545-521-04. It superseded the part ending in 01. To me it looks like this part is thicker in general than the original seal. Beverly Hills Porsche price matched the part to 72 dollars to what I found on the internet.

The pro headlight restoration cost $195 dollars.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

So, Moe Money says he used 996-545-521-04 (sealing frame) and Dan189 says he used 996 545 545 02 (Trim Frame)... Hmmm... Which is the "right" part? We are talking about the rubber surround on the rear glass correct?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
So, Moe Money says he used 996-545-521-04 (sealing frame) and Dan189 says he used 996 545 545 02 (Trim Frame)... Hmmm... Which is the "right" part? We are talking about the rubber surround on the rear glass correct?

The correct number is the is the first one ending in 04. It’s the rubber seal on the exterior. The number is on the part itself. I saw it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ageing rear window seal replacement problems