Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Valve actuator solenoid

Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 395 Posts

75K miles on the engine. I am not sure I can justify replacing the other actuator at this point. It is $1,000 after all.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:19 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Update.

I got into the engine, bought a set of Baum tool for cam timing, removed the cam shafts, and removed the actuator on bank 1. After removing the solenoid, the plunger was stuck and only came out with the help of a pair of pliers. It's confirmed, the seal was all busted up and only a few rubber green pieces remained. Here is the bitch;

The $1000 dealer replacement actuator block came "previously opened" and repacked with 3m scotch tape. During fitting it into the chain, I removed the solenoid to have more room and ... there was no green seal on the plunger. The last **** hole you bought this actuator, stole the seal from it, repacked it with scotch tape and returned it to the dealer. Unreal. I understand that Porsche is making us buy a $1000 part to replace a $5 seal, but ... IF I did not find this out now, and installed back in the car, I would still have the problem code, and would be chasing my tail down some other path because I supposedly replaced the actuator with a new one. Rot in hell, thief.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow, unbelievable but you must feel VERY luck you dodged a big one. Also a good reminder to others to check a new actuator before putting it on.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Update.

I got into the engine, bought a set of Baum tool for cam timing, removed the cam shafts, and removed the actuator on bank 1. After removing the solenoid, the plunger was stuck and only came out with the help of a pair of pliers. It's confirmed, the seal was all busted up and only a few rubber green pieces remained. Here is the bitch;

The $1000 dealer replacement actuator block came "previously opened" and repacked with 3m scotch tape. During fitting it into the chain, I removed the solenoid to have more room and ... there was no green seal on the plunger. The last **** hole you bought this actuator, stole the seal from it, repacked it with scotch tape and returned it to the dealer. Unreal. I understand that Porsche is making us buy a $1000 part to replace a $5 seal, but ... IF I did not find this out now, and installed back in the car, I would still have the problem code, and would be chasing my tail down some other path because I supposedly replaced the actuator with a new one. Rot in hell, thief.
Can you post pics of the seal? if it is a common metric O-ring size perhaps we can find a McMaster or something part that would fit, could help out a lot of folks who find the same problem.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Update.

Holy cow that is terrible. And I thought I was frustrated when I bought brand new brake calipers that had the wrong/missing pad hardware and the bleeder valves missing. I'm assuming that was the same thing, somebody buying an assembly, "harvesting" what they need from it, and then returning the "unused" part. Scumbags.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Can you post pics of the seal? if it is a common metric O-ring size perhaps we can find a McMaster or something part that would fit, could help out a lot of folks who find the same problem.
My old seal is in 100 pieces so that does not help. I will open up the next actuator and take a picture of the seal, as well as measure it. It look like green viton seal material.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

And that is part of my confusion. There are two adjacent diagrams, 996.1, 996.02/03/04 and they seem to have different thihgg
It's sort of weird but, M96 - 01, 02 & 04 are 5 chain engines. M96 - 03 is the 3 chain... confusing for sure...
Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Update.
I am going to post this here so others can learn from my effing experience.

I got 2 actuators from another dealer, and put them in the engine, and put the engine in the car. Fired it up today and it ran crappy. Hooked up the durametric and the computer is telling me that bank 1 is out of phase with bank 2 when the advance actuator kicks in. What that eff? I looked at the boxes the actuators came in and they sold me TWO of the same BANK 2 actuators while I need one left and one right. They are different part numbers.

Damn, they will order me another one, the right one, and this time I will put it in with the engine in the car. So if your actual cam variation waves looked out of phase like above, this is why.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Probably not a good idea to take any weapons with you to the dealer!
Old 07-07-2018, 01:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I would raise Holy Hell with Porsche about these two issues! Unfricken believable
Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow, what an odyssey! So sorry your going through this. Nothing more frustrating than doing the work right and having such trivial mistakes made by others screw you up.

But thanks for keeping us posted as it serves as a good reminder to 1. Never assume dealers know everything and make mistakes and 2. Always check the box (and its contents) twice before slapping on. Best of luck to you getting this squared.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:09 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

the good news, if you can call it that, is bank 1 actuator can be done with engine in the car but the timing tool does not fit so you have to wing it. I don't see how bank 2 can be done with engine in the car, at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve actuator solenoid