996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche mechanics near Worcester MA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Viggen996
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche mechanics near Worcester MA?

Hi all, so two months ago I purchased a 996 with a clean bill of health. Sadly, the car entered the Tiptronic induced limp mode last week. I'm hoping you guys could help steer me in the direction of a good mechanic to diagnose the issue? Is Paul Tosi of Autotechnica still in business? He's the closest that I've heard of but my calls and voicemail have gone unanswered. I also know of EPE in Natick, but I'm hoping for somewhere a little closer for now.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 AM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,025 Posts

The 2002 & up Tiptronics are a Mercedes transmission so a Mercedes shop might be able to help as well.

I'm just East of Worcester in Marlborough, so I've done some looking. I haven't brought my car to any of these places. I don't know if they would work on a Tip. You could try:

https://brentuning.com
138 Milford St, Upton, MA 01568
Phone: (508) 762-1769

www.butzigear.com
258 Old Gate Ln, Milford, Connecticut 06460

http://autosportengineering.com/
370 Hudson Road, Stow Massachusetts 01775 978-562-7300

I have gone to Bill at Eurotech years ago with my M3.
Eurotech Advanced Automotive
14 Grant Street
Framingham, MA 01701
Telephone: 508.879.9911
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
The 2002 & up Tiptronics are a Mercedes transmission so a Mercedes shop might be able to help as well.

I'm just East of Worcester in Marlborough, so I've done some looking. I haven't brought my car to any of these places. I don't know if they would work on a Tip. You could try:

https://brentuning.com
138 Milford St, Upton, MA 01568
Phone: (508) 762-1769

www.butzigear.com
258 Old Gate Ln, Milford, Connecticut 06460

http://autosportengineering.com/
370 Hudson Road, Stow Massachusetts 01775 978-562-7300

I have gone to Bill at Eurotech years ago with my M3.
Eurotech Advanced Automotive
14 Grant Street
Framingham, MA 01701
Telephone: 508.879.9911
Thanks for the mention. I recently sorted out a client’s 996TT Tip transmission issues after another shop had improperly serviced the transmission resulting in slipping and transmission codes, and serious drivability issues. She’s all good now after pulling the pan, replacing the filter and gaskets, cleaning the pan and flushing the trans and filling it properly with Porsche fluid.

I also know and recommend Bill and Bren Tuning. I do not know the guys at Autosport, however they may be capable of helping you as well.

If you would like to discuss this with me further please feel free to send me an email: info@butzigear.com or call / text me 203-216-0951. Cheers!

David
www.butzigear.squarespace.com (The new site in the works)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:32 PM
Viggen996
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought it to a mechanic today who manages to get it out of limp mode. All I can assume is that something happened when I changed the battery. Car is running, shifting, and driving fine but I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Thank you both for the recommendations as well, I’ll be making a phone call to butzigear tomorrow!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:38 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggen996
Hi all, so two months ago I purchased a 996 with a clean bill of health. Sadly, the car entered the Tiptronic induced limp mode last week. I'm hoping you guys could help steer me in the direction of a good mechanic to diagnose the issue? Is Paul Tosi of Autotechnica still in business? He's the closest that I've heard of but my calls and voicemail have gone unanswered. I also know of EPE in Natick, but I'm hoping for somewhere a little closer for now.

Thanks.
I went to 2 indy's in the metrowest Boston area. First one said I needed a new TCU and the other said I needed a new valve body when I had the dreaded limp home mode error. Both about $4K - $5K repairs.
My Durametric error codes:

DME: P0715 Porsche fault code 552 Tiptronic supply voltage speed sensors
Tiptronic: 13 RPM Sensor N3

I then went to Herb Chambers Porsche. The mechanic found a bad solenoid on the conductor plate. The SA did say it's extremely rare to see a TCU go bad - for this fault code it's most often the solenoid/speed sensors on the conductor plate on the valve body. It was fixed for $1.5K. In this case the dealer was cheaper than indy because they really understood how to diagnose and replace the specific component vs a whole assembley.

see the whole thread here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-body-tcu.html

Quick Reply: Porsche mechanics near Worcester MA?