996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Upgrades/mods for C4S?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I was joking in my earlier C2 comment, but I also agree with the above. I know nothing about what's required to do that, but from another thread on a different forum, it sounds like it's not that difficult and it is reversible.
Its not super difficult - but its definitely a project. Technically you can reverse it without any additional parts - but it would require some thorough clean up of the inside 'cup' of the outside CV housing.

Also - a few other people have mentioned color matched bumperettes. There is a forum sponsor called bumperplugs that sells these already painted to match and you just send in your old ones. I ordered front license plate hole plugs from them and they matched perfectly. They also offer color matched center consoles - which look really sharp IMO.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Its not super difficult - but its definitely a project. Technically you can reverse it without any additional parts - but it would require some thorough clean up of the inside 'cup' of the outside CV housing.

Also - a few other people have mentioned color matched bumperettes. There is a forum sponsor called bumperplugs that sells these already painted to match and you just send in your old ones. I ordered front license plate hole plugs from them and they matched perfectly. They also offer color matched center consoles - which look really sharp IMO.
I would think you could plastidip the cups of the CV joints or some kind of silicone, which would protect them against dirt and water. Quite easy to peel out when you want to go back.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lower it (Coilovers, or if not springs)
Add wheel spacers to fill the arches
Exhaust
Lose the bumperettes
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All great suggestions. I've been looking the Fister mufflers for a while now. How much of a PITA is it to remove the mufflers? Is it an all weekend ordeal or just a few hours and a few f-bombs? Since a lot of my time is on freeways, do you get a "drone" from when when driving freeway speeds? I replaced the engine mounts late last year so that one is done. I'm not too concerned about he bumperettes other than I'd love to remove them completely since I think they really take away from the back of the car so if anyone knows if that's a possibility I'd love to hear about that. I like the AWD system since my commute can sometimes put me in icy or snowy conditions and I like having 4 wheels keeping me on the road. The car was ordered with the carbon trim option, so one day I'd like to get the carbon center console, but that's more of a "like to have" than a need to have. Upgrading the head unit has also been on my wish list, but I have the Bose system so I've read that if I really want to get some good sound, I'd have to remove all of it since the components don't play well with aftermarket systems. Plus... I get so much road noise I don't know if I could really appreciate the sound quality in the end anyway.

So... I think I'm leaning towards Fister. clear bra, and/or suspension components upgrades. I'm taking the car in today to see what's up with the front suspension so that may determine where I go with all this.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Balu
Since you asked

Drop the bumperettes off at a body shop to have them done in body colour.
Motor mounts make a big difference. Your choice, consider them a wear item.
Wheel spacers 7mm front and 14mm rear.
Ti lugs from World Motorsports.
Short shift kit.
Lightsavers.

If still in the budget...

Fisters if that's to your liking.
A Denison Gateway for bluetooth.

Obvious bias
Wonder if these are any good?

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...product_id=163
Old 06-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodman71
I'm sure they are but in my case it was much cheaper to have them done locally.
The clean Euro rear bumper is my choice but sourcing shipping and painting add up quickly.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
I would think you could plastidip the cups of the CV joints or some kind of silicone, which would protect them against dirt and water. Quite easy to peel out when you want to go back.
This is exactly what I did to mine when I removed the AWD from mine. When I reinstalled it a year later before selling it, the hubs were just as clean as when I removed the axles. And this was after a year of daily driving in Seattle on a car that never saw a garage. Just make sure you put a nice thick coat of PlastiDip on there (read:several coats).
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 950 Likes on 595 Posts

OP-I installed an Alpine unit with BT and it works perfectly well with my Bose system. Even the faceplate blends fairly well. You are on point with the muffler/cat and suspension upgrade priority. Of note, I only turn on the head unit for BT. The car sounds so good it’s all the music I need.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01

Here are a few pics of mine. I'm probably looking at something in the $2 to $2.5K range to spend. I'm also considering paint protection film since I'd like to keep the car looking good and I have a crap commute.
Thanks!
A friend of mine just put CEIKA coilovers on his C4S and hes pretty happy with them.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

No drone on the freeway with the Fister D
Old 06-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a street car and to make it just more fun to drive (and if you ever wanted to do a HPDE) the following are the best bang for the buck:

- Fister Exhaust (its quite literally 'just' right)
- EVOMS CAI (its the only one that actually does bring cold air in) - this is a sound mod - probably no real performance gains
- H&R lowering springs (the sport springs)
- ECS wheel spacers (7mm front, 15mm rear)
- LED interior light bulbs
- Numeric Racing short shift kit - it's head and shoulders better than the others and still maintains complete OEM looks
- Semi solid motor mounts (improves the feel by 1000)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:05 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last edited by charha01; 06-07-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 06-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry - see above. Also - these will fit your budget easily.

The EVOMS is $300 and comes up in the classifieds pretty often
Get the Numeric on special or get a showroom floor model
Gundo hack can be done super cheap at any exhaust shop
Lowering springs aren't much - $400 or so but there is labor unless you want to do it yourself
Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01
All great suggestions. I've been looking the Fister mufflers for a while now. How much of a PITA is it to remove the mufflers? Is it an all weekend ordeal or just a few hours and a few f-bombs? Since a lot of my time is on freeways, do you get a "drone" from when when driving freeway speeds? I replaced the engine mounts late last year so that one is done. I'm not too concerned about he bumperettes other than I'd love to remove them completely since I think they really take away from the back of the car so if anyone knows if that's a possibility I'd love to hear about that. I like the AWD system since my commute can sometimes put me in icy or snowy conditions and I like having 4 wheels keeping me on the road. The car was ordered with the carbon trim option, so one day I'd like to get the carbon center console, but that's more of a "like to have" than a need to have. Upgrading the head unit has also been on my wish list, but I have the Bose system so I've read that if I really want to get some good sound, I'd have to remove all of it since the components don't play well with aftermarket systems. Plus... I get so much road noise I don't know if I could really appreciate the sound quality in the end anyway.

So... I think I'm leaning towards Fister. clear bra, and/or suspension components upgrades. I'm taking the car in today to see what's up with the front suspension so that may determine where I go with all this.
Fister has no drone - its basically perfect. If you ever decide you don't like it, you can sell it in a heartbeat on here. Removing the mufflers can either be pretty easy, or a complete pain. For me, it was a pain. I had to remove the rear bumper and cut the vertical bolts out that hold them in + order some additional parts. It all comes down to how much road salt your car has seen.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I’d also invest in some Light Savers, the replacement taillight clips. Found one of my taillights hanging on by one screw and the OEM clip completely coming apart during a car wash. Probably had been like that for a while and was ready to break completely. Bought them from Pelican.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrades/mods for C4S?