Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 "buyers"

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I may go the way of BaT. Not getting any satisfaction from CL for sure. Never done a BaT before, will be new for me.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I may go the way of BaT. Not getting any satisfaction from CL for sure. Never done a BaT before, will be new for me.
If you want to meet up over lunch and discuss the process, I can show you all the e mails etc. I used for my '78 Vette. All in it was $99 and 3 weeks from initial contact to vehicle sold. If you are really determined to sell, and they like your car, it is a good way to go. I was worried I'd face the same issues you are facing with my '78 and end up going through it over and over for 3 or more months. At least the BaT crowd seems to be mostly automotively educated and serious with their bids. I know some deals fall through, but I think the completion rate overall is very high. My '78 was actually sold locally to a guy that came and saw it in person via the BaT system.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:47 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

Hey docmirror post a link to your CL ad would like to read it
Rich
Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Nein_11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 17k for you right now!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Try renting a house on CL...real eye opener!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Hey docmirror post a link to your CL ad would like to read it
Rich
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ct...595763199.html

It's a nice car. I'm now looking to add sport seats and an aero kit to mine.... some days I wish I'd have just bought doc's car for the options, but I did get a good deal and I like the black interior a bit better than the tan. I think doc's car also has hollow spoke wheels too, which are worth a pretty penny.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:12 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I went through this with my last car.

There are 2 BIG red flags that tell you a buyer isn't serious

1) They ask what your lowest price is at the beginning of the conversation, before they've ever had a chance to properly vet what they're talking about buying
2) If they want you to bring the car to them or meet them half way

Just remember what it was like when you were seriously car shopping. Did you bat an eye at the prospect of driving 4-5 hours to look at one you wanted to buy? I sure as hell didn't. Especially with cars like this, some people shop for months or years to find the right car - and when they do, they aren't going to sweat driving or flying across the country.

Every time I've sold one of my cars, the prospective buyer has called - asked a few questions - setup a time to see it, gone for a quick ride, and then made an offer. The people that haggle about price rather than come see it (unless they're out of state), try to talk to you about trades, ask if you can come to them or meet them, etc just aren't serious and a waste of time.

So my advice, just play the long game, be patient and trust the right buyer will come along. I'd also recommend listing your car for sale on here (if it isn't already) as well as AutoTrader with an unlimited listing option. Craigslist is very local and with 911s, the buyer pool is much more geographically spread out.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have somewhat of a different view. I've sold several cars on CL, one higher dollar car and generally had good luck with it. As far as someone asking what your lowest price is, I don't think that always means he is not serious or a red flag as some have said. Now it certainly could be, but I can appreciate someone who doesn't want to waste either of our time if they have budget constraints. In some situations it could simply be they have "x" to spend on the car...any car, and if you would be willing to work with them then it is worth the time to come look etc. However if you put off the vibe as not being willing to work on the price much or at all, then they simply are saving themselves and you from a bunch of wasted time if they come out, like the car and then find out you won't take an offer inside their budget. I'm actually going through this with a vintage Ducati Superbike. I have people low balling on it, but that just saves me the trouble of taking the time to show it to them. I see it both ways, but I actually don't mind when someone asks me for a bottom dollar price, I give it and that is the end of it, just my .02. What bothers me most is the people that nitpick every little thing regardless of price. I won't sell to those people even if they paid a lot more than my asking price.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The ad pictures are terrible and the description is worse. The car looks likes it’s sitting in the rear of used car lot like an abandoned afterthought. Take it somewhere scenic and take shots of the WHOLE car, not a few with the bumpers chopped off. Let the buyer imagine himself/herself driving to those locations in their car.

Members of this forum recognize the sport seats and aero package but a non-996 saavy buyer may not. Write a description why this makes the car special and why the preventative maintenance done on it makes it ready to drive from the get go.

You are narrowing your buyer pool with the way this ad is set up and inviting low ballers and scammers because the car looks half way abandoned. The problem is not the car, it’s the ad. That’s one advantage BaT has in that the detail is unparalleled and the photos are all encompassing. Do a mini version of that for Craigslist and I’m betting your traffic will improve. Just my opinion .....
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

And take the water bottle off the seat before you expect people to shell out 22K for a toy. Cmon man.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delete
Old 06-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
The ad pictures are terrible and the description is worse. The car looks likes it’s sitting in the rear of used car lot like an abandoned afterthought. Take it somewhere scenic and take shots of the WHOLE car, not a few with the bumpers chopped off. Let the buyer imagine himself/herself driving to those locations in their car.

Members of this forum recognize the sport seats and aero package but a non-996 saavy buyer may not. Write a description why this makes the car special and why the preventative maintenance done on it makes it ready to drive from the get go.

You are narrowing your buyer pool with the way this ad is set up and inviting low ballers and scammers because the car looks half way abandoned. The problem is not the car, it’s the ad. That’s one advantage BaT has in that the detail is unparalleled and the photos are all encompassing. Do a mini version of that for Craigslist and I’m betting your traffic will improve. Just my opinion .....
Agreed. The ad could definitely use some higher quality photos and a better description. Especially if you are going to price your car towards the top of the market. If a potential buyer senses that you don't have the time or inclination to put up a decent ad, this may cause red flags to go up regarding maintenance, care, etc.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah. The add isn't the greatest. Better photos and better copy will bring in better buyers.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 644 Likes on 393 Posts

I agree with the others. Not trying to be critical, only constructive, but it will sound critical. Take much better photos with much better backgrounds. The car looks like it is on ramps being repaired with a wheel chock and the door ajar. The description could be much better also. Rather than showing a picture of the IMS, indicate how many miles ago it was done in the listing and flesh out some of the vagaries of other stuff that you hinted at in the ad. Also, I'm not sure showing a pic of the car going 92 mph sends the right message, nor is having two dash pictures when other views (engine, frunk, etc.) aren't there and when the only "full view" picture has the front and rear of the car clipped out of the photo. CL brings all kinds, so you will get some ridiculous low-ballers no matter what you do, but your ad being an afterthought makes that worse.

It is normal for CL respondents to ask about flexibility on price -- it requires an investment of their time also to go see your car and it is a very reasonable question. Asking for an absolute price sight unseen is too far, but it's normal to ask about flexibility. I was a very willing full price buyer for my car, but I still asked about price flexibility in the first phone call. If you really don't want any price negotiation, clearly state that the price is firm in the ad (you may get fewer callers, but probably those who do call will be higher quality (some will still try to lowball you though)).

CL is a mixed bag -- gets a lot of response, some of it will not be great. You reap what you sow, however, and you have stacked the deck against yourself with that ad.

Last edited by peterp; 06-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 158 Posts

How about the buyer's view?

I am looking for a 911. Maybe 996, maybe 997. I care more about condition.

Today's foray was a 1999 996. Been on Kijij (like Craigslist in Canada) for about a week. Low mileage. 4 pics of car. At used car dealership whose website focuses on the detailing part of the business. Ok, send business and email. 3 questions: 1. Service History, 2. Accidents 3. IMS. Guys response is that it will be at his sight tomorrow. WTF. Why is it advertised if not available?

I also get really turned off by cars for sale that are not what is advertised. Went to go see a 997. Original paint supposedly. This is at a high end used car dealership. 2 curb rashed wheels, obvious some blown in paint, broken license plate holder. Was on lot for 6 months. Would not lower price.

Went to go see another 997. Probably the one I should have bought. Super clean. Dead battery. Their boosters are all dead. I go get my booster. Car still didn't start.

My comment is that it is hard for both buyers and sellers.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 "buyers"