Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone Use Custom Steering Wheels in Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:21 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Anyone Use Custom Steering Wheels in Florida?

I don't know why I seem to have this luck, but I seem to pick the businesses that just have awful communication.

I am doing most of the interior work my self, but the brake handle was something I couldn't do, so I emailed around to see who could take care of it. Settled on these guys.

http://www.custom-steering-wheels.co...-restoration--

Why is it when you are inquiring, they are ready to get your business. Communication is amazing, as they answer questions within the same hour. I was e-mailing the person back and forth a few times in the same day. I send off my e-brake and surprise ... nothing.

Now I don't expect an hourly report. Beginning of March I sent it to them and I e-mailed a week later to ensure they got my brake handle. No response even after a few days. E-mailed again. Nothing again even after waiting a couple days. I called and left messages. Several days later I finally got an e-mail saying they got the handle a while ago and started work on it. OK. Just resent what I want done to it.

A month later I check in (was supposed to be a week) to see if it is done. Again no response to e-mails. I wait a couple days before sending another request for and did this a couple times and then got an e-mail. It is almost done, and will send pictures ... yeah right. Never happened despite me reminding them to do so, so I can approve the work. Repeat this for May, but when they finally responded by the end of the month, they said it was sent out. will send the tracking number to me. Well, I wanted to see the e-brake before it was sent out in pictures, but by now, I just want it back. That was the 24th. No tracking number was sent. I have repeatedly (every few days) asked for that tracking number, but nothing.

I have had this same level of service a number of times before. I am not expecting to be waited on hand and foot, but this is what I do expect.

1 - confirmation my e-brake has arrived.
2 - e-mail saying it is done and pictures
3 - if not to be done on time, then a new estimate of when it will be done by.
4 - request for payment (this was no problem, big surprise)
5 - confirmation of it being sent back with tracking number

Anyone else use these guys? My recommendation is to skip these guys.

Last edited by jim010; 06-05-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Very similar experience here. I had my steering wheel and a couple of bits of wood trim refinished by them - took forever, and communication was pretty appalling. I did get them back in the end. He promised to throw in a freebie shift boot in compensation for the delay, but it never materialised.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:41 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Well, at least you got it back, so I have hope...

Annoyed he does ot follow up on his promises ... like giving me a tracking number ...

Last edited by jim010; 06-05-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

I finally got my tracking number.

I checked it and it was entered today for preshipment...

At least it is almost on its way ...
Old 06-07-2018, 11:36 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Jimmy,

How hard was it to get this guy to finish the product and actually put it n a box and send it?

On May 24th after repeated e-mails, he got back to me and said the item was shipped. After repeated e-mails asking for tracking, on June 5th he gave me one. It shows that it was registered for pre-shipment online. As of today, USPS doesn't even have it yet. This sort of crap has been going on since the beginning of March. Even if the work is done, I don't know what it looks like, as he sent no pictures. I don't trust him at all. Wondering if I should start a claim through PayPal.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I absolutely would start a claim through PayPal. Don't wait. The only downside is that could potentially not get your parts back or compensated for that.

I sent my steering wheel and other items to "cars dream" in Poland, found them on ebay.de, they recovered all sorts of stuff for $550.

http://stores.ebay.de/carsdream-c-o-m?_dmd=2&_nkw=996

I have a thread here with the pictures if you want me to find it. It's under my user name and title "interior upgrades".
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm worried about losing the e-brake, not just the money I paid for the service.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a spare E-brake in grey, if you get screwed, let me know. Or just buy one on ebay if you are going to rework it, they are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:03 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

They are, but the wood handle ones are a little pricey. I had these guys take the handle apart and paint it gloss black instead of wood finish. Would love to see how it looks finished, but ... well, you know.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

As of today, USPS still hasn't received the package. This guy is a liar. If I don't hear from him by the end of today I will start a PayPal claim. Guess I can kiss my e-brake good-bye ...
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

If you don't get anywhere with PayPal, you can also do a credit card chargeback (assuming you paid with a CC via PayPal). I recently did this as I was out of the protection timeline for PayPal but was still within it for my CC. My card issues it initially as a conditional credit and then gives the seller 60 days to respond.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:13 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I didn't use a credit card, though ... I am more concerend about losing the e-brake, though. Pretty sure I'l get the money paid through PayPal.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Well, I started My PayPal claim. I'll get my money back, but I am now kissing my e-brake goodbye ...

This sucks. This is not the first time I have been scammed. I have had in the past sent items to be repaired or redone, only to have plenty of promises, then delay after delay after delay until finally there is no contact and I lost the money I originally sent plus my item. This has happened to me 4 times, not including this time ...

Why do I seem to be picking the bad ones?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:26 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

It was like getting blood out of a stone. Excuse after excuse. The only thing that worked was registry calling him on the phone.

Originally Posted by jim010
Jimmy,

How hard was it to get this guy to finish the product and actually put it n a box and send it?

On May 24th after repeated e-mails, he got back to me and said the item was shipped. After repeated e-mails asking for tracking, on June 5th he gave me one. It shows that it was registered for pre-shipment online. As of today, USPS doesn't even have it yet. This sort of crap has been going on since the beginning of March. Even if the work is done, I don't know what it looks like, as he sent no pictures. I don't trust him at all. Wondering if I should start a claim through PayPal.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:09 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Registry ?

Quick Reply: Anyone Use Custom Steering Wheels in Florida?