Sponsored by:

Door Microswitch removal help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Microswitch removal help

So I have the dreaded window does not drop down when you pull the handle problem going on...bought the microswitch and have the door panel off but I can not get the old microswitch out of its place so I can put the new one in. Anyone remember how to get the switch out?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Never mind, got it. Prayer works. Should have tried that first.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Never mind, got it. Prayer works. Should have tried that first.
Would tweezers have worked in addition to prayer?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Actually I used a screw driver on the back of the switch, or right side of the switch in the bottom pic, and gently pried up on it and it came free. Replaced the switch with the new one and I can now hear that it is trying to drop down, just doesn't drop enough so I am at a loss again. Maybe my regulator is bad? Tried the reset the window trick by lowering and holding or 10/15 secs and the up for 10/15 seconds with no luck.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that your switch is working, most likely your cables are stretched. I put in spacers to take up the slack in my passenger side, it helped but it still only drops about half as much as it should.

If I'm opening the passeger door from the outside, I just help the window down by pushing down on the glass with the palm of my hand as I lift the door handle. Smears the window with palm prints every time.

If I'm letting a passenger exit from the inside, I drop the window a bit, have them open the door, then put the window up again. Then I tell them not to shut it and I walk around and push the window down before I shut it.

PITA way to do things until I put in a new regulator, but a rarely open the passenger door.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by rolex11
Now that your switch is working, most likely your cables are stretched. I put in spacers to take up the slack in my passenger side, it helped but it still only drops about half as much as it should.

If I'm opening the passeger door from the outside, I just help the window down by pushing down on the glass as I left the door handle.

If I'm letting a passenger exit from the inside, I drop the window a bit, have them open the door, then put the window up again. Then I tell them not to shut it and I walk around and push the window down before I shut it.

PITA way to do things until I put in a new regulator.
i think I am in the same boat now that the switch didn’t fix it. Weird how it went from working just fine to not like it did. Oh well, the joys of owning a 911. Still worth it.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 AM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I had this isse recently and it was cold solder joints in the door lock mechanisim circuit board.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 AM
juliof16
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem. I had to door panel off and was looking at the cable going to the bottom of the door that one guy put a spacer in. I have no slack there that I can see. No extra space that I can put a spacer in. Am I looking at it incorrectly or the wrong cable. Thanks for any help.
Where is the circuit board that professorman talked about? J
Old 06-10-2018, 01:28 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by juliof16
I have this problem. I had to door panel off and was looking at the cable going to the bottom of the door that one guy put a spacer in. I have no slack there that I can see. No extra space that I can put a spacer in. Am I looking at it incorrectly or the wrong cable. Thanks for any help.
I am not sure on the circuit board honestly, as I am not sure what he means by door lock mechanism exactly. My cable didn't seem to have any slack either so I am still trying to figure this out.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by juliof16
Check out this thread. The circuit is inside the black door lock actuator.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-rebuild.html
Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Turns out I had to replace the regulator as well. According to my Porsche Mechanic if you get any movement at all when you pull the handle, but not the normal amount, then it is the regulator. If you pull the handle and nothing moves, it is the microswitch? All good to go now after new regulator.

Quick Reply: Door Microswitch removal help