2002 Targa -- Rear Hatch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Targa22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Targa -- Rear Hatch Problem

Hi all,

Happy as can be with my new (to me) Targa, but my rear hatch (which didn't work when I bought the car about a month ago) situation is a bit puzzling.

Neither the button to the left of the driver's seat nor the button on the key fob can open the hatch... but it does open when I lock the car doors using the key fob. Unfortunately... the opening of the hatch after I lock the doors sets off the car alarm. So at the moment, I can't lock my doors OR use the rear hatch.

To close the rear hatch, I hold it closed and push the hatch button on the key fob, and it eventually "catches" and pulls it closed.

In summary, not sure where the issue is, but it doesn't appear to be mechanical, as it opens and closes... just in a quirky way. A new rear hatch mechanism will cost me about $1,000 before labor, so I'm hesitant to make that move before seeing if anybody here has any suggestions.

Any insight is much appreciated!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how useful this is but when it's working normally, you have to hold the fob button depressed for at least a couple of seconds before the mechanism pops the window. After you push it closed by hand the lock mechanism senses the latch and actuates the electrical mechanism to pull it tightly closed. To me that says you problem is at least somewhat mechanical, at least on the sensing aspect rather than the actuation. The undesired release when you lock the car is just plain puzzling.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:09 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

It almost sounds like it is working the reverse of what is supposed to happen. Any way the electrical connector to the hatch mechanism is reversed?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Targa22
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
It almost sounds like it is working the reverse of what is supposed to happen. Any way the electrical connector to the hatch mechanism is reversed?
I guess that's possible, and an interesting idea. Any way for me to test that?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Tyler H
Advanced

Sounds to me like it thinks the hatch is already open? Also, the hatch release has an interlock with the roof, so if it thinks the Targa roof is open the hatch release is defeated.

It's possible that there is a bad or stuck microswitch either in the top or the hatch release mechanism. Durametric may be able to shed some light on where the alarm module fault is, however it won't communicate with my Targa's top control module.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Targa22
Track Day

Update --- picked the car up from the shop yesterday. They disconnected and reconnected the hatch wiring, thus "resetting" it... and it's working again.

DBJoe996 might have been on the right track re: thinking something was reversed (i.e. thinking it was open when it was closed etc.). Hopefully it stays working for good... not looking to spend $1,000+ replacing it.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa22
Update --- picked the car up from the shop yesterday. They disconnected and reconnected the hatch wiring, thus "resetting" it... and it's working again.
awesome . Does it close/lock correctly? I shut mine the way you described previously.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Targa22
Track Day

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
awesome . Does it close/lock correctly? I shut mine the way you described previously.
Works exactly as it should now. To close it I just push it closed to the point of contact and it gets pulled in mechanically and sealed tight. Pops open immediately when I push the button in the footwell, pops open after a short hold on the key fob.

Quick Reply: 2002 Targa -- Rear Hatch Problem