996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 competitors?

Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Wudee
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBH911
No. There are no substitutes. Get another, and unless you’re tracking it get a Cabriolet.

Like your new born baby. In your eyes prettiest thing on earth, whilst others...
Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Agree completely (with your entire post and especially the quote above). It's been a mystery to me why the factory didn't build the S2000 and BRZ (and Miata also) with a small turbo just to give it some low-end guts. The brand new BRZ I drove wasn't just "not fast", it felt slow in normal driving. I did, however, think that timid performance might make the BRZ a pretty good (safe) first car for my son when he gets his license.
I haven't personally driven the FRS/BRZ but I'm familiar with the specs. I have driven an S2K - I'd imagine its a similar experience, with the S2K being faster if you drive it like you stole it. The BRZ is probably a blast to drive on twisty roads - feels sporty - and doesn't have enough power to really get you into trouble. It will feel fast going around corners but in an open stretch you'll quickly realize just how underpowered it is. The same really applies to the BMW Z4. The 2.5s are really just completely underpowered - while the 3.0 (thats the one I had) had enough low end grunt to feel pretty fast on back roads. It felt light and easy to throw into corners with throttle - completely predictable. On the highway it didn't even compare to a 996 though.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,577 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
LOTUS stands for Lift On Turn You Spin.
Hilarious! - I never heard that before
Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 643 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I haven't personally driven the FRS/BRZ but I'm familiar with the specs. I have driven an S2K - I'd imagine its a similar experience, with the S2K being faster if you drive it like you stole it. The BRZ is probably a blast to drive on twisty roads - feels sporty - and doesn't have enough power to really get you into trouble. It will feel fast going around corners but in an open stretch you'll quickly realize just how underpowered it is. The same really applies to the BMW Z4. The 2.5s are really just completely underpowered - while the 3.0 (thats the one I had) had enough low end grunt to feel pretty fast on back roads. It felt light and easy to throw into corners with throttle - completely predictable. On the highway it didn't even compare to a 996 though.
True story. I had every intention of buying the new BRZ when I drove it. I even brought my son's largest jazz guitar and amp to the dealer for the test drive to see if it would fit (it did). Then I drove it. I loved everything about it, but it just felt slow -- didn't even need to get to a straight to feel underpowered. Then I put my foot in it and revved it out a bit, and it was a bit better, but still pretty slow. I'm not even a power junky, I care more about how the car drives through corners (which was excellent), but I could not like the BRZ for power alone. Immediately after that I thought to myself, "what the hell am I doing?" and I went out and bought a 996. Best decision I ever made. The 996 is not ideal (power-wise) for my son to learn to drive with (original intent of BRZ), but he can use our DD for that.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (02-21-2024)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

It's been a mystery to me why the factory didn't build the S2000 and BRZ (and Miata also) with a small turbo just to give it some low-end guts. The brand new BRZ I drove wasn't just "not fast", it felt slow in normal driving. I did, however, think that timid performance might make the BRZ a pretty good (safe) first car for my son when he gets his license.
Yep. The Toyota and Mazda brands especially. Is it really that hard to add 20-40HP to an existing model? Nope. Take the Mazdaspeed engine for the 3s and 5s. Or the Lexus F. Perhaps the market is too small for them
Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nickshu
LOTUS stands for Lift On Turn You Spin
To be fair, I believe Lotus licensed that technology from the early air-cooled 911's ...
Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In addition to the e46 z4 m coupe I mentioned earlier
one car in our family stable is a 2006 John cooper works competition edition mini , they made 64 of these for Canada but I think you got the works gt version in the states .
Its more fun than my 996 , not as fast on a long track ( but faster on a track like streets of willow springs) or as comfortable on a long trip but with the full JCW package , smiles per miles the next level .
Check out out the second Gen JCW too , easier to find
we are keeping our first Gen jcw as its one of the last cars to come out of the original jcw shop before it was bought out by bmw and moved in house, bookends our early 1275cc cooper s nicely

Last edited by Vancouver996; 06-01-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

In the $25k range, and what you can get that is a competitor, I would go with the Ferrari Mondial QV, which will be hard to find at that price. Also the Porsche 928 S4 5sp, and the Honda S2000. The Ferrari has a similar go-kart kind of feeling to drive, and it's no problem to get it up near the danger zone. The 928 is cast as a touring car, but with the right trans, and some decent shocks, remove the rear seats, and sunroof junk they will be pretty fun. The S2000 is tossible and fun, but it has no panache, which is likely why it sold so poorly. Honda took the boilerplate definition of a sports car, and that was the result. But - it would do the job.

I've never been a Corvette fan, but I know there are some out there in the price range that will be fun or fun-like.

Blasphemy I know, but the 996 is not the be-all, end-all of the genre. However, I have enjoyed my car quite a bit.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Blasphemy I know, but the 996 is not the be-all, end-all of the genre. However, I have enjoyed my car quite a bit.
+1. so many cars. so little time....
Old 06-01-2018, 03:00 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

What about an 04-06 Pontiac GTO? Same price as a 996, and looks decent on paper, but I don’t know how good they are. And I hate to say this, but would you rather have a Pontiac or a Porsche if the price were the same?

Although GTOs are kinda cool and not exactly common.

I might take the Pontiac [LS] engine in my Porsche though.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Agree completely (with your entire post and especially the quote above). It's been a mystery to me why the factory didn't build the S2000 and BRZ (and Miata also) with a small turbo just to give it some low-end guts. The brand new BRZ I drove wasn't just "not fast", it felt slow in normal driving. I did, however, think that timid performance might make the BRZ a pretty good (safe) first car for my son when he gets his license.
About the BRZ: My son wanted one. A co-worker was selling a 2013 with low miles in great shape. I drove it and fell in love! So light, great handling, etc. It had a quirky clutch and a huge gap between 1st and 2nd gears that was annoying, but other than that, it was a blast to drive. Hell, I chirped 2nd AND 3rd gears when I shifted. But, you do need to wind that little boxer motor out. Lug it around and it will feel slow for sure.

I gave it to my son after taking him to some advanced driving schools. He drove it for 6 months on his learners permit. I warned him of the dangers of a quick, tight and light car...

He put it into a guardrail ON THE SECOND day he had his license! Totaled it. I was SO pissed off you have no idea. Yes, he was safe, yada yada, but damn, he totaled my future auto-x car!

As to the topic at hand, I drive a 2011 BMW 328i RWD M-Sport 6spd as my daily. I've driven every M car Bimmer makes on the track and I have to tell you, my little 200hp N/A straight six will at least keep up around the turns. I just LOVE driving that car. Front engine, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution is all hard to beat. I've only owned my 996 for a few months and limited winter driving. It's a BLAST to drive and it turns A LOT more heads than my Bimmer. But, I'm also not afraid to take the Bimmer to the mall or to valet park it. Hell, I'm also not afraid the engine will suddenly grenade on me if I don't change the oil twice a week! I drive it like a Honda in terms of reliability. At 96k miles, so far I'm loving every minute of it. But yet getting into my 911 is much more exciting (and I even paid less for it than the 328).

I'll report back when I get the 911 to a DE day. But it is very cool and so far, I'm very happy with it.

A Vette, S2000, BMW (even an M), WRX and nearly everything else mentioned except for the Ferrari will not have the same impact. Is that good or bad? I dunno. The owner must decide for him/herself I guess. Hell, that Honda Accord pictured always makes Car and Driver's top 10 list and they say it's an amazing car for the money. Best handling appliance you can buy, as they say. Boring!

I also drive a `64 GTO and a modern Rubicon lifted on 35's, so I enjoy diversity. They're like children. You love them all, just differently.

I say 911 over anything on those lists except for Ferrari. Do I want to own one of everything? SURE! But I'm not Jay Leno.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
As to the topic at hand, I drive a 2011 BMW 328i RWD M-Sport 6spd as my daily. I've driven every M car Bimmer makes on the track and I have to tell you, my little 200hp N/A straight six will at least keep up around the turns. I just LOVE driving that car. Front engine, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution is all hard to beat. I've only owned my 996 for a few months and limited winter driving. It's a BLAST to drive and it turns A LOT more heads than my Bimmer. But, I'm also not afraid to take the Bimmer to the mall or to valet park it. Hell, I'm also not afraid the engine will suddenly grenade on me if I don't change the oil twice a week! I drive it like a Honda in terms of reliability. At 96k miles, so far I'm loving every minute of it. But yet getting into my 911 is much more exciting (and I even paid less for it than the 328).

I'll report back when I get the 911 to a DE day. But it is very cool and so far, I'm very happy with it.

A Vette, S2000, BMW (even an M), WRX and nearly everything else mentioned except for the Ferrari will not have the same impact. Is that good or bad? I dunno. The owner must decide for him/herself I guess. Hell, that Honda Accord pictured always makes Car and Driver's top 10 list and they say it's an amazing car for the money. Best handling appliance you can buy, as they say. Boring!

I also drive a `64 GTO and a modern Rubicon lifted on 35's, so I enjoy diversity. They're like children. You love them all, just differently.

I say 911 over anything on those lists except for Ferrari. Do I want to own one of everything? SURE! But I'm not Jay Leno.
A good compromise might be two cars: a basic BMW daily not unlike the 328, and a 996. I’ve considered an E36 non-M, and would even consider tracking it. The point is, I wouldn’t worry one bit about the Bimmer and it would be a blast and still handle really well, not too expensive to fix, etc.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:12 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
... He put it into a guardrail ON THE SECOND day he had his license! Totaled it. I was SO pissed off you have no idea. Yes, he was safe, yada yada, but damn, he totaled my future auto-x car!
OUCH!! Sounds like I dodged a bullet . Glad that he's safe -- all that matters -- but I'd be pissed too. My son has raced go karts and iRacing for a long time, so he's actually a much better driver than I will ever be, but I'm still scared when he is first on the open road. He will be the one that autocrosses it. I'll let him learn in the Q5, but I may still eventually end up getting him a BRZ when he's ready for his own car (because its performance is somewhat safe). He keeps sending me links of RX-7's and Supras for sale that have been turboed to 700+ HP -- that ain't gonna happen.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (02-21-2024)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,633 Posts

OUCH!! Sounds like I dodged a bullet . ... He keeps sending me links of RX-7's and Supras for sale that have been turboed to 700+ HP -- that ain't gonna happen.
lol. Yea, that can't be good.

I agree about multiple cars. I've got 4 now but it's becoming a burden. They are all hobby-able, meaning each one has clubs, forums and events. What to do when? lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 competitors?