996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

996 competitors?

Old 06-04-2018, 12:24 PM
peterp
User

Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Uh - ever heard of a 968? Four jugs(large, too) - four valves per, and variable valve timing. Quite torquey.
Maybe it wasn't that clearly stated, but I wasn't saying that no 4-cylinder 16-valves have torque, but just that a ton of them don't have torque, particularly sports cars. The BRZ, S2000, Miata, and the MR2 are examples. My first 16-valve 4-cylinder was an MR2, I forget the year, but I bought it almost new in the late 80's and although it was a pretty good car, I didn't like the power at all. That MR2 was like a go kart (in a good way) but you had to rev it out to get any power and it felt pretty gutless almost all the time in normal driving. Of course, back then, 4-valve per cylinder for mainstream commuter cars was a new thing, but fast forward 30 years, and it's kind of exactly as it was.

Your 968 example kind of makes my point. It shows that it can be done, but the mainstream brand 4-cylinder sports cars are mostly devoid of torque. I'd rather they tune the 16-valve for torque, instead of squeezing out those last few HP at 500,000 RPM. The 8-valve 4-cylinders felt better to me because they have much more torque by default. I remember driving a Kia Soul as a rental that was pretty torquey with a 16-valve engine -- so it can be done at a lower price point also, but the Japanese 4-cylinder sports cars seem to be mostly torqueless.

Last edited by peterp; 06-04-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: