Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Steering vibration after spacer install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:38 AM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steering vibration after spacer install?

Just installed 10 front 18 rear adaptec hub centric spacers (with the lip) on my oem turbo twists on brand new, balanced tires and I’m getting a steering wheel vibration that’s mostly noticeable above 60mph.

I did some research and did the following: took off the spacers and scrubbed the grime/rust off my hubs, reinstalled and torqued the wheels to the hub while the car was on stands. I have extended lugs that came with the spacers.

One thing I can note is the rear driver side hub seems to be slightly expanded, in that i had to apply some force to get the spacer on there, but I believe this vibration would be the result of something going on in the front.

Control arm? Wheel hub? But wouldn’t I feel these things even without spacers? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

If the spacer is seated fully and sitting flush on the hub, you shouldn't get any shimmy/vibration with the spacer (that you didn't have before). It's possible that due to the wider track, it's exacerbating some other weakness in your suspension - LCA's, wishbones, ball joints, tie rods etc...
Old 05-26-2018, 10:16 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

Since you have OEM wheels and are using spacers, remove the spacers and see if you have the steering wheel vibration. New tires may not be balanced correctly.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

18 mm seems excessive, are these on a nb 996?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Nein_11
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove spacer and test the newly balanced tires out without them on the car. If spacers are super tight fitting on the hub or inside the wheel take a file or grinder to it until it is snug but not impossible to pull apart. I hope you went with extended lug bolts when you opted to use an 18mm spacer. Stock lugs with an 18mm spacer would most certainly be unsafe, and may even be causing your issue if they are not fully seating
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
If the spacer is seated fully and sitting flush on the hub, you shouldn't get any shimmy/vibration with the spacer (that you didn't have before). It's possible that due to the wider track, it's exacerbating some other weakness in your suspension - LCA's, wishbones, ball joints, tie rods etc...
That's what I was thinking. Will removing them both and then introducing them one at a time help me narrow in on which side is causing the issue, or do things need to be balanced? Is there a way to zero in on the specific suspension part that may be causing this? I have had some minor suspension squeak from the front end when driving since I bought the car but did the "push down on the front end of the car" LCA test and can't get it to squeak, so I just assumed it was the coilovers.

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Since you have OEM wheels and are using spacers, remove the spacers and see if you have the steering wheel vibration. New tires may not be balanced correctly.
I did have the new tires on the car for about a week before I introduced the spacers and don't think I noticed any vibration. I guess it's possible I slung a wheel weight off when working on the car, will give it a shot with them off.

Originally Posted by Atrox
18 mm seems excessive, are these on a nb 996?
C4S, and I think it looks perfect!

Originally Posted by Nein_11
Remove spacer and test the newly balanced tires out without them on the car. If spacers are super tight fitting on the hub or inside the wheel take a file or grinder to it until it is snug but not impossible to pull apart. I hope you went with extended lug bolts when you opted to use an 18mm spacer. Stock lugs with an 18mm spacer would most certainly be unsafe, and may even be causing your issue if they are not fully seating
Yes, using extended bolts that came with the spacers as noted.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

I removed the front spacers, checked my wheels to make sure I didn't sling a weight or something, and went for a drive, noticeably less vibration, if there's any at all I wouldn't have called attention to it if I wasn't so hyperfocused on this right now.

I noticed something that might very well be the culprit though. Are the spacers supposed to be flush to the edges of the hub in width?

Would this cause something to be off balance? Do narrow and wide body 996s have different sized hubs?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Since most all Porsche's use the same 5x130mm bolt pattern, the spacers are probably machined to fit a variety of rotor hub diameters,ie Boxsters, 993's 944's 928's ect, should not make any difference.

I suggest you read up on road force balance, the wheel/tire can be "ballanced" when rotating in mid air, but then be bouncing when on the ground due to varying roundness or varying sidewall stiffness. If the wheel/tire has varying roundness or sidewall stiffness the vibration will increase with spacing the wheel/tire further away from the mounting point thereby increasing the leverage.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:14 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Just swapped on another set of rims to the front that I've never had issues with, with the spacers, and experienced the same wobble. Will give a local alignment place a call about road force balancing, but maybe this is a suspension thing that's being exacerbated by the spacers? Like I said I do have a squeak coming from the front of the car under normal driving conditions. How can I check on the control arm/tie rod condition? I'm yanking the wheels from the side and top and bottom but it doesn't seem like theres much play...
Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by sixfiveoh

Just installed 10 front 18 rear adaptec hub centric spacers
I know nothing about 'adaptec' as a company but your pic isn't doing anything to change my already generally low opinion of wheel spacers.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

These cars a getting old and all suspension parts will be stiff (rubber) or worn. Maybe something your no looking at.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

How can I determine if a control arm joint or tie rod is bad? I inspected them both and don’t see any tears, no movement of the wheel from left to right or top to bottom as far as I can tell.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C4S? did you check your wheel bearings?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have spacers - 15mm front, 7mm rear - on my ME, with no vibration. Started with just 7mm on the front but decided that wasn't enough; with the current setup the Carrera IIIs fill out the arches nicely.

If you've no vibration without the spacers I'd send 'em back and get a new pair, perhaps a different brand?
Old 05-30-2018, 03:43 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomcat
C4S? did you check your wheel bearings?
Yes, C4S. How can I determine if the wheel bearings are bad?

Originally Posted by JimmyB
I have spacers - 15mm front, 7mm rear - on my ME, with no vibration. Started with just 7mm on the front but decided that wasn't enough; with the current setup the Carrera IIIs fill out the arches nicely.

If you've no vibration without the spacers I'd send 'em back and get a new pair, perhaps a different brand?
It's driving me crazy! I ordered these from motorsport-tech, they custom machined them for me so I'd be bummed if they were out of spec. I think my next step is going to be to measure them with a caliper to ensure they're consistent across.

I do know that there is ONE little burr or piece of debris, maybe 1mm across that embedded itself into the backside of one of the spacers. I scrubbed it hard with a wire brush but it wont come off. Could something this minuscule throw off the balance enough?

Quick Reply: Steering vibration after spacer install?