Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Durametric vs Schwaben by Foxwell

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx
VS
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...656sch01a~scf/

Ok, so I need to reset my airbag light... I was taking out the seats for some nice Recaros and at one point did not have the seat belts connector set and bang... stupid airbag light is now on.

So I need to reset the light... two options on deck:
1 - Durametric "PRO" tool that will reset the light, work on unlimited P cars and do everything I could want a tool to do. ($675 Pro, $287 Enthusiast, does not reset the airbag light))
2 - The Foxwell tool states that it does reset the airbag light and a ton of other items just like the Durametric tool but I have never heard of it till now. ($229) (This tool has been in the market since 2014-5...?)

The most immediate need is to get rid of the stupid light on the dash but other than that I need to use this as I would any other diagnostic tool for a M96 motor... ABS pump activation, brake pad retraction, sensor monitoring, modules diagnostics and the biggest one Timing Deviation.
Since my 2001 C2 is a 5 chain motor the camshaft deviation is a big deal, I need to make sure everything is spinning correctly and no chain stretch or paddle wear is occurring.

Does anyone have any info or feedback on the Foxwell tool?
Can it read the camshaft deviation like the Durametric?
Will the Foxwell be able to be used on unlimited cars or dose it marry to one car?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a Foxwell NT 510. It comes with an OBDII reader and it you get a free single brand (Porsche) with it (you download and install it). It can also be upgraded to support additional brands. It is not limited to a number of vehicles or VINs. It definitely reads and resets modules, such as the airbag module, and is useful for diagnostics. I can't compare with the Durametric.

I've had cables on other cars (VagCom for VW/Audi) that let you recode modules and do some very detailed diagnostic monitoring of sensors. The Fowell doesn't do any of that kind of detailed stuff. Then again, it was $149...
Old 05-22-2018, 03:01 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Durametric is your best buy for what you are looking for. You don't need the pro version to reset the airbag light. Check here http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Durametric is your best buy for what you are looking for. You don't need the pro version to reset the airbag light. Check here http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx
Correct. However, now you have the seat belt receptacle triggered light. Did you reconnect the factory seatbelts? If so, enthusiast version will reset the light. If you are now using aftermarket harnesses, without connecting factory receptacle, you will need to code out the seat belt connection. The enthusiast version will not allow coding. I thought I was buying a tool that could do these functions. Durametric doesn't believe an enthusiast is capable of handling the power of their full version, so they neuter it. Much to my dismay..
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
To answer the questions...
-Stock seats are back in.
-Stock receptacles we're being used the whole time.
-I just need to reset the airbag light... Not code it out.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Joe: I would be happy to reset your airbag light for you, I have a Durametric enthusiast, but for whatever reason it doesn't log how many cars it has been plugged into, so it's basically a pro. You could either come by my house or we could meet up in Lombard or something sometime soon. I will be around this weekend working on my house.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

As far as coding a 996 with the Professional Durametric goes...it doesn’t do a whole lot.
I was disappointed that it doesn’t cover much.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
As far as coding a 996 with the Professional Durametric goes...it doesn’t do a whole lot.
I was disappointed that it doesn’t cover much.
Do you know if the Pro can code seat belt receptacles? My Indy said I could use his if it does it.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by moburki
Do you know if the Pro can code seat belt receptacles? My Indy said I could use his if it does it.
Not for the 996.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Thank you for the offer Paul. I might take you up on that!

So, if the consensus is that I can turn off the AIRBAG light with the Enthusiast version of the Duramectric tool then that's the route I will probably take.
I want a tool that can work for my car and read and log more than what my current ODBII dongle can do.

My birthday is next month... I think I will put this on my list!

PS Thank you to all that have chimed in!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:31 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't have any vested interest in the outcome, but you might want to see what you can do with a $149 handheld foxwell NT510 Porsche unit versus the more expensive Durametric as compared to your needs. That NT510 is a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't speak for the functionality of the Schwaben, however, Pelican Parts just sent an email promoting a memorial day sale which includes 10% off the Schwaben scanners. Seems like a lot of functionality for the money. On the other hand, there has been group buys on this forumn before to get 10 or 20% off of durametric. I thought I saw one just recently.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
So, if the consensus is that I can turn off the AIRBAG light with the Enthusiast version of the Duramectric tool then that's the route I will probably take.
I want a tool that can work for my car and read and log more than what my current ODBII dongle can do.
Yes, it will turn it off with the enthusiast version.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Durametric is one of my least favorite companies. There is a known bug in their newer cables and they have repeatedly blamed the issue on people's cars. Only by throwing a fit and jumping through their hoops did I finally get an older cable that solved my problems. There are a couple of threads that document other people having the same exact issues (unable to read K2 on the Bosch 5.2 DME) and being told it is a problem with their car not the cable.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Durametric is one of my least favorite companies. There is a known bug in their newer cables and they have repeatedly blamed the issue on people's cars. Only by throwing a fit and jumping through their hoops did I finally get an older cable that solved my problems. There are a couple of threads that document other people having the same exact issues (unable to read K2 on the Bosch 5.2 DME) and being told it is a problem with their car not the cable.
I think all software companies use this tactic to some extent (I work with music software and have had similar issues for years). Fortunately in my case Durametric has worked flawlessly... It's bad enough having to use software to fix your car... Having to trouble shoot and fix the software that you need to fix your car, prior to fixing your car is a mind bender...I'm tired now...I'm going to go take a nap...

Quick Reply: Durametric vs Schwaben by Foxwell