996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is this guy the biggest douche or what? 996 hater

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Doug DeMuro, who has driven pretty much every desirable modern car (plus many awesome rides from the 1980s/90s/00s) in the past 3 years, said if he could buy a personal car to drive it would be a 996. He also worked for Porsche and once owned a 996 Turbo.
Watch this
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Tyler H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, Doug also unabashedly rocked a Cube and a Land Rover.

(Just kidding, Doug.)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
For sure. The later cars get so fat and heavy they don't have the "momentum" feel of the earlier water cooled cars or the air cooled cars and require massive HP to make up for it. Faster in a straight line, yes but if you want that buy a Mustang, that's not what a Porsche is about.
lol. I may be a little biased here, but the 996 just can't hold a candle to the new S550 Mustangs, let a.one the GT350s, sorry. 20 years of progress will do that.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
lol. I may be a little biased here, but the 996 just can't hold a candle to the new S550 Mustangs, let a.one the GT350s, sorry. 20 years of progress will do that.
True, but they are different animals. I have owned 3 different generations of Mustang GTs and I loved each one. New GTs are about 40k well equipped.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

True, but that being said, at the end of the day...it’s still a Ford. No disrespect, I just got rid of my Mustang last fall.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:38 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

2 thoughts:

1) This author might get paid by clicks, rather than quality thought; so writing an article that gets a reaction from people might generate good revenue, regardless of whether it's factual, well-thought-out, or reflects majority opinion.

2) As for the facts of whether the cars will appreciate, I think his next-to-last paragraph is spot-on. To me the future of 996 values has much less to do with how good or bad the 996 is, and much more to do with legislation and how hard it becomes to own a gasoline-powered car. There is NO doubt that if the world didn't change, the 996 would increase in value. I can't think of a single Porsche model that has gone down in value for 20 years and then never recovered. Even some relatively ugly, unreliable, high-volume, low-price cars have all had their day when it looked like they were done and would gradually become completely worthless, but they've all bounced back strongly in value. There's no reason to think the 996 won't do the same thing. BUT, if it becomes difficult, expensive, or impossible to drive an internal-combustion car in the future, that's going to completely counteract whatever value these cars might gain on their own in the meantime.

If you're in it for the investment, I think at this point you gotta just hold the car and wait. If it happens to go up, great! If it doesn't, oh well, it didn't cost much to get in!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I think you misinterpreted my comment there.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

True, but that being said, at the end of the day...it’s still a Ford. No disrespect, I just got rid of my Mustang last fall.
lol. Don't worry, I have a thick skin. Besides, I am well aware of Ford's performance products and they compete with the best out there. No one coild convince me otherwise. .. Focus RS, GT350, Ford GT, absolute dreams.

but I do like the 996.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I think that people who bash the 996 have typically never driven one, and certainly never owned one. I still believe it is one of the best ways to get into Porsche ownership, and one of the best sports car values on the market. It’s simply a wonderful driver’s car. I understand that the design may not appeal to some people, but why bash it? If you don’t like it, then don’t buy one!

I’ve driven many variants of 996, 997, and 991 cars. I’ve owned a 996, a 997, and a 991. Porsche DNA is present in all of them. They all offer a great driving experience. I believe that my 991 is the best 911 that I’ve owned so far for my needs, and I’d probably never go back to a 997 or a 996. This isn’t because the 996 or the 997 were bad; it’s because the 991 is so good. The 997 was an evolution of the 996, and the 991 is an evolution of the 997. Arguing about which one is “better” is pointless, and everyone’s view of what makes one car better than another is subjective.

In my opinion, people who criticize the 996 are people who are interested in things other than driving, and things other than the true Porsche experience.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

It is DEFINITELY the best way to get a 911. Happy we did it
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
2 thoughts:

1) This author might get paid by clicks, rather than quality thought; so writing an article that gets a reaction from people might generate good revenue, regardless of whether it's factual, well-thought-out, or reflects majority opinion.

2) As for the facts of whether the cars will appreciate, I think his next-to-last paragraph is spot-on. To me the future of 996 values has much less to do with how good or bad the 996 is, and much more to do with legislation and how hard it becomes to own a gasoline-powered car. There is NO doubt that if the world didn't change, the 996 would increase in value. I can't think of a single Porsche model that has gone down in value for 20 years and then never recovered. Even some relatively ugly, unreliable, high-volume, low-price cars have all had their day when it looked like they were done and would gradually become completely worthless, but they've all bounced back strongly in value. There's no reason to think the 996 won't do the same thing. BUT, if it becomes difficult, expensive, or impossible to drive an internal-combustion car in the future, that's going to completely counteract whatever value these cars might gain on their own in the meantime.

If you're in it for the investment, I think at this point you gotta just hold the car and wait. If it happens to go up, great! If it doesn't, oh well, it didn't cost much to get in!
Yep! Also the models and options are important. No offense to the owners but I don't imagine the Carrera Cabriolet Tiptronics ever becoming a collectors item.
Same can't be said for the 40th Anniversary models and nicely-optioned manual cars. The same reason 993 cars are worth so much is the reason these 996s will be valuable: They offer a driving EXPERIENCE that is worth XX $$. For example, the driving experience of a 911/964/993 was not in line with their prices several years ago so the market corrected rapidly. When a new car is $60,000 and the used one is equally fun they go from $15,000 to $60,000.
This is the sentiment I gathered from this video .

It's funny listening to them talk about how the 993 Turbo was $50-60,000 and nice 964s were $20,000. Would love to own a 964 C4 but they are $$ now.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

One other thought: Describing these cars as 'ugly' is laughable. 90% of the world population can't tell the difference between the different generations of 911, and thinks a 996 looks virtually identical to a brand new 911. I'm stealing somebody else's line that I read on here, but owning the "worst 911" is like dating the ugliest Victoria's Secret model. Anybody who says they wouldn't jump at the opportunity is lying.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Owning the "worst 911" is like dating the ugliest Victoria's Secret model.
LOL that's awesome.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

2 thoughts:

To point number 2, there are lots of other things that will cause a bloody revolution before this happens. This lunacy will stop or they can pry the gas can out of my cold dead hands.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:03 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

It's an editorial, meaning it's onion, not based on facts. The main premise of the article was that the 996 is not a car to invest in. He's probably not wrong. Many other statements are incorrect, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mine?

I didn't buy the car as an investment, and those that do don't make a lot of sense to me. But I'm not a day trader either, so what do i know. No, i bought the car because I don't clear a half mil a year, and at the same time, love cars very much. More specifically, German cars. More specifically, Porsche cars. Like most of you, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and most frequently Porsche were on the cover of R&T when I was growing up and those were the cars touted as the best on the planet. Bought a 944 Turbo on my 21st b-day and quickly realized that owning a Porsche is far more expensive than buying one, particularly if you can't turn a wrench. So I sold it, went to BMW and never looked back. I've also spent the last 20 years learning how to work on cars (well anything that burns gas really).

But last year I came to the realization that the 996 is every bit a real 911 AND are are at the rock bottom of the bell curve based on age, lack of being air-cooled, don't have round head lights and 5-7% of them failed due to a design flaw. Once i realized the latter could be remedied for a few bucks, the only thing that mattered was the 996 was a real 911 and i could afford one. The rest led me to today. Oh and i didn't drive mine to my high school reunion, I drove the e30. Partly because it felt more period correct, but mainly because i didn't buy a Porsche to impress people.

I love the car. But that's just my opinion. Just like our friend Jack Baruth. And it's nice to know others are on my side, not Jack's

Quick Reply: Is this guy the biggest douche or what? 996 hater