Sponsored by:

Opinions on muffler bypass exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:21 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on muffler bypass exhaust

Since I purchased my 00' 996 almost a year ago the exhaust note or lack there of has left me wanting more. My plan is to eventually purchase a Fabspeed Maxflow system however that more than likely wont happen till end of season/early next year. I want to enjoy a more aggressive exhaust note this season and the muffler bypass pipes are something I could swing right now and keep for the time being. I realize that it is not a ideal set up, and that it will in fact be quite loud.

Is anyone currently running the muffler bypass pipes? Just how loud is it, how severe is drone, is it something you can tolerate on a car used semi daily for commuting/track events?

I usually do not take the cheap route on parts, but I am desperate for to get more sound until I am able to get the Fabspeed set up I am after.

Or another question is how hard would it be for me to have a local muffler shop do the fister hack on my stock mufflers?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

fabspeed muffler bypass, great sound, no drone whatsoever at any speed. there's a guy that had a thread a couple wks ago about the beluga one as well that liked his, had a video as well. in fact one for sale currently in the parts marketplace.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:31 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
fabspeed muffler bypass, great sound, no drone whatsoever at any speed. there's a guy that had a thread a couple wks ago about the beluga one as well that liked his, had a video as well. in fact one for sale currently in the parts marketplace.
I was just looking in the marketplace couldn't find a bypass. Can you provide me a link?

Nevermind, found it.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:36 PM
MNC-I
Intermediate

_b3nc3_

Sometimes my close friends call me CheapBastard....I've got a 2000 C4 and I an leaning toward doing the Fister D Mod. (By-pass pipe coming from closed circle on very end and connecting to the pipe coming out of the muffler)
So ideally, I need mufflers from a 996 Mk2. located a set from a 2004 being parted out in Dallas. The guy parting out the car told me he wanted to sell the exhaust system complete (headers, cats, mufflers & tips).
We agreed on just the two mufflers for $350.00.
Is that a good price?
MNC-I
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MNC-I
_b3nc3_

Sometimes my close friends call me CheapBastard....I've got a 2000 C4 and I an leaning toward doing the Fister D Mod. (By-pass pipe coming from closed circle on very end and connecting to the pipe coming out of the muffler)
So ideally, I need mufflers from a 996 Mk2. located a set from a 2004 being parted out in Dallas. The guy parting out the car told me he wanted to sell the exhaust system complete (headers, cats, mufflers & tips).
We agreed on just the two mufflers for $350.00.
Is that a good price?
MNC-I
That sounds like a reasonable price for two mufflers. Most of what I've come across has been in that range. Was that the price shipped?

Also why is it you are looking for 996.2 mufflers, can you not do the Fister mod with the 996.1 mufflers?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 PM
MNC-I
Intermediate

-b3nc-,

From what I've read on these forums, the best mufflers to use for the Fister D Mod are 996 Mk2 mufflers.

No price shipped. I live in Austin and would drive up to buy on site.

Here is the link to the Craigslist ad and here is the phone number to the salvage yard (601 1st Ave Dallas, TX)
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/porschecabriolet-parting-out/6568715731.html

214 207-5394

MNC-I
Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MNC-I
-b3nc-,

From what I've read on these forums, the best mufflers to use for the Fister D Mod are 996 Mk2 mufflers.

No price shipped. I live in Austin and would drive up to buy on site.

Here is the link to the Craigslist ad and here is the phone number to the salvage yard (601 1st Ave Dallas, TX)
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/porschecabriolet-parting-out/6568715731.html

214 207-5394

MNC-I
Oh well if you can skip shipping entirely even better. Interesting I didn't know that ill have to do more reading on it.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Thibaulb24
Intermediate

I have the Fabspeed muffler bypass and 200 cell cats. The car really doesn't drone but the exhaust note is absolutely beautiful. I used topgear cats, they are much more affordable than most others.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Maxflos and cat bypass x-pipe. Way too quiet. Changing over to Fabspeed headers in a few days to see how that works.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

For the same money as the bypass pipes you can fister mod your stock mufflers for a very close sound without any of the drone
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

So I bought the Belluga bypass pipes and installed last night. Love the sound, dislike the highway speed drone. What are some options for cutting out some of the drone?

I was going to have the fister done to my mufflers but decided against it as I want to keep them stock so if I ever need to sell.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as I know there is no way to cut out drone with the bypasses unless you add some kind of element like a muffler somehow. Fister mod is a partial bypass, is cheap and has zero drone. I find the tone of the fister style mod much better than the full bypass which is a bit unpleasant sounding with stock headers and cats. I've had fisters with both with 200 cell crossover cats from NHP and now the M&M cat bypass x-pipe from FVD, no drone with either system. I'm probably beyond some tracks' sound limits with the fisters plus catless x-pipe, but it sounds great from inside and is actually pretty quiet-ish in normal driving under 3k rpm. FWIW I did lose noticeable torque below 4k, but gained a lot above that rpm.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice thing about bypass pipes is you drop a bunch of weight in the rear....really makes a difference on the track I think...
I have tried both Fabspeed Maxflo and Super cups....Maxflo is great on the street and ok on track. Supercups are great on track and drone sucks on the street. Now I run with a custom catless setup that is the best sounding I have ever had though I do have drone at 2700 RPM. Since pretty much a dedicated track car I don't worry about it. SO the question boils down to what are you using the car for. For street I think you will not be happy with bypass.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Someone tamed the drone of the bypass pipes by using inserts in them similar to these.

https://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Riff
Someone tamed the drone of the bypass pipes by using inserts in them similar to these.

https://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
Interesting....Already having my shop look into it....thanks for lead.

Quick Reply: Opinions on muffler bypass exhaust