My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:25 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Default My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(

All,

Title says it all. It could have been much worse for me and the car. The 18 wheeler got into the left hand side of the car while I was in the middle lane. Both wheels are toast, quarter panels and door are done for, and I suspect the drivers side suspension is bent. Car is going into the Local Porsche dealers repair facility next week. Any one want to make a pool for who can guess the closest for the estimate? I'll start, 20k.
Be careful out there yall.

Also, please get a dashcam. For less than 100 bones you will not have to deal with any drama from the insurance companies. Ill post the video next week for those interested.

Name:  6R8krwD.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1.62 MB

Name:  0Qcw6pH.jpg
Size:  2.37 MB

Name:  rP8kzyU.jpg
Size:  2.66 MB

Name:  08eqiWA.jpg
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  xnTOUQt.jpg
Size:  2.00 MB

Last edited by RngTrtl; 05-05-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

$22.8

you're taking this very well !!
Old 05-05-2018, 11:42 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fracture
$22.8

you're taking this very well !!
Almost getting killed either makes you laugh or cry. Im going with laugh
Old 05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you are ok, does the drivers seat need to be replaced as well!

$16,495 is my guess.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:24 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Fortunately you were driving a Porsche. In a lesser car you might not have walked away. These are solid cars. Been there, done that. But, it's a real shame it got crunched. Hopefully only body panels and wheels. Oh yeah, and maybe deep cleaning of the drivers seat.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:43 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Glad you are OK.

I have to say that while I feel safe in my C4S, I have seen an accident in the exact same car that ended in a fatality that shouldn't have...rattled me a little.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM
TwoOFourTarga
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to know that you are ok! that is the most important. On the other hand, did you get the driver's insurance info or did he/she just drive away after hitting you? also did you file a police report over the hit? Honestly unless you came flying up the middle lane into the back of the truck while it was merging into the middle lane, the driver of the truck i believe would be at fault because he merged into you (even though its not super fair because he likely could not even see you). You would probably not have to pay too much (or anything out of pocket for repairs if this is the case, otherwise I'd estimate about 40-50% of the value of the 996tt now because its had a serious accident. Sorry it happened, hopefully you get it fixed and can get back out on the road! stay safe!
Old 05-05-2018, 01:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Wow! Bummer... I'm going to guess $20k range in damages - remember, it probably needs a full repaint - $8-10k right there...

"I have to say that while I feel safe in my C4S, I have seen an accident in the exact same car that ended in a fatality that shouldn't have...rattled me a little."

What do you mean "shouldn't have"... You can die doing just about anything, why would someone dying in a car crash surprise you? Not to be morbid, but if you're going to make such a claim, the circumstances of the accident (speed, location of impact, # of cars, object hit if not another car, etc...) would be helpful to determine why you're "rattled"...
Old 05-05-2018, 01:37 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by TwoOFourTarga
glad to know that you are ok! that is the most important. On the other hand, did you get the driver's insurance info or did he/she just drive away after hitting you? also did you file a police report over the hit? Honestly unless you came flying up the middle lane into the back of the truck while it was merging into the middle lane, the driver of the truck i believe would be at fault because he merged into you (even though its not super fair because he likely could not even see you). You would probably not have to pay too much (or anything out of pocket for repairs if this is the case, otherwise I'd estimate about 40-50% of the value of the 996tt now because its had a serious accident. Sorry it happened, hopefully you get it fixed and can get back out on the road! stay safe!
Driver of truck pulled over and I called the highway patrol and got a police report. Its pretty obvious that he was at fault and he claimed it. The dashcam video makes it all the more apparent and un-debatable. We actually have the same insurance company so hopefully that will speed the process along. The insurance people have the video so i dont think much time will be needed for the fault to be allocated to the truck. Also a bystander stopped and gave his info saying he saw the wreck. It should be open and shut case.

Anyone have a broad idea about how much of a vehicle's worth need to be achieved before they total it? The car is prolly worth in the neighborhood of 45-50k. Would they total it at 40-50% of value?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

That is I bummer. I had a guy in an SUV pull over on me on I85 out of Atlanta last night. Fortunately, I was able to move over while I accelerated because there was no one on my other side. He was driving without his lights on at 10 pm and I suspect he was drunk.

I am going to be an optimist and guess 15k. The car would probably bring decent money at auction so I am thinking they will total it if the repair estimate exceeds 20k.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:51 PM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Remember depreciation value. Original Paint vs "Painted", etc, etc.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:15 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
What do you mean "shouldn't have"... You can die doing just about anything, why would someone dying in a car crash surprise you? Not to be morbid, but if you're going to make such a claim, the circumstances of the accident (speed, location of impact, # of cars, object hit if not another car, etc...) would be helpful to determine why you're "rattled"...
I can't share the photos, but a Ford Escape T-boned a 2002 C4S at city speeds on the passenger side. There was a lot of cabin intrusion that was unusual for the vehicles and speeds involved. The passenger was killed.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcasanova
Remember depreciation value. Original Paint vs "Painted", etc, etc.
agreed. I will definitely be making a diminished value claim as well when all is said and done.

Also, I need more guesses for the estimate!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:59 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Glad you are ok! Could have been much worse. Our cars do tend to hide in rearview mirrors. My uneducated guess on repairs is between $20k and $22k. Good luck. Keep us in the loop. Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Man, that is a bummer....glad you are OK...car will be OK too.

Quick Reply: My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(