Sponsored by:

My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:15 AM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
Moral of the story: Don't ever spend any amount of time next to the truck and keep out of their blind spots (which is much, much larger than you think). I rather risk blowing by a truck at 100 mph than to casually pass them at the speed limit.
This is an extension of the TED concept - the Time Exposed to Danger - it applies specifically to the time in the opposite driving lane when overtaking, and advanced driving training says you should keep this as short as possible by accelerating up to a speed well over the vehicle being overtaken. In this case - I always accelerate quickly past a truck even if I'm in a lane designated in the same direction - I NEVER cruise alongside.

In this country the idiot police will ticket you for speeding if you are overtaking and exceed the speed limit - they have no idea of the concept of TED, or if they do, revenue generation transcends that as a priority!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude
This is an extension of the TED concept - the Time Exposed to Danger - it applies specifically to the time in the opposite driving lane when overtaking, and advanced driving training says you should keep this as short as possible by accelerating up to a speed well over the vehicle being overtaken. In this case - I always accelerate quickly past a truck even if I'm in a lane designated in the same direction - I NEVER cruise alongside.

In this country the idiot police will ticket you for speeding if you are overtaking and exceed the speed limit - they have no idea of the concept of TED, or if they do, revenue generation transcends that as a priority!
You think NZ is bad, check out Victoria - Australia:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...05-gt4i63.html
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude

One of my best friends explained going 120 MPH on a crotch rocket as safe for almost this exact reason. He said: "I drive around the accidents."

It kind of made sense. Kind of.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:23 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
One of my best friends explained going 120 MPH on a crotch rocket as safe for almost this exact reason. He said: "I drive around the accidents."

It kind of made sense. Kind of.
Experienced moto guys will never be caught next to, or between deadly objects. I try to apply that to cage driving as well.
I once had a semi truck tire explode while I was overtaking in a car. It was so powerful I thought my sunroof blew off. Literally shook my car.
Glad OP is safe. Be careful out there all!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:38 PM
RalphN
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a touring motorcycle and believe I'm safest when riding at least 5 mph faster than the cars around me. That way the danger is mostly in front of me and therefore avoidable.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

One simple rule is: always leave a place to put your vehicle.

During training as a pilot we were also taught to think of "what might go wrong" and "have an action plan" if it does.

Instructors were always asking what we would do if...

You can't always be 100% in the "Condition Red" as in Cooper's Colors, but your situational awareness level should track with the level of the current threats and risks around you.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 168 Posts

I'll play. $16k repairs, $8k DV.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:25 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Quick update. Insurance companies found other driver at fault (obviously) and will get it taken to the collision center that the Porsche dealership uses. Ill give some more updates when I get them.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Good luck. Are you still planning to post the dash cam?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by professorman
Good luck. Are you still planning to post the dash cam?
Yeah, Ill post it when I get home from work. I try to stay off YT at work so as not to pique the interest of our IT folks.

Also, Thanks for all for the great replies! Its giving me lots to ponder on.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:45 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Minor update, they are going to send out the insurance adjuster to my house to see if they are going to total it just based on the body damage pics (same that I posted earlier). I let yall know what comes of it in a few days. Wish me luck either way it goes.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM
professorman
Racer

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Wish me luck either way it goes.
Which way are you hoping for?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Which way are you hoping for?
If they come with a reasonable dollar figure Id prefer they total it since it will be hard to sell with the damaged record against it. Plus I could by it back from them, fix any suspension damage and turn it into a track car or sell it with a salvage title.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 PM
professorman
Racer

You should probably start doing some comparison value estimates so that you have data to back it up. Maybe get your estimates from BAT
Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

You should probably start doing some comparison value estimates so that you have data to back it up. Maybe get your estimates from BAT
all ready on that. I got 1/2 a dozen or so that are about the same as my car from BAT that have all ready sold, some more that are for sale, and I grabbed some more on Autotrader that are currently for sale. Im gonna have an arsenal of them by friday.

Quick Reply: My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(