996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:26 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to hear the main concern is the car & no serious injuries. I *hate* semis. GL getting back to whole.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Bad deal but glad you are alright.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 AM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

$18250
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Driver of truck pulled over and I called the highway patrol and got a police report. Its pretty obvious that he was at fault and he claimed it. The dashcam video makes it all the more apparent and un-debatable. We actually have the same insurance company so hopefully that will speed the process along. The insurance people have the video so i dont think much time will be needed for the fault to be allocated to the truck. Also a bystander stopped and gave his info saying he saw the wreck. It should be open and shut case.

Anyone have a broad idea about how much of a vehicle's worth need to be achieved before they total it? The car is prolly worth in the neighborhood of 45-50k. Would they total it at 40-50% of value?
No. The damage is not bad at all—at least from the pictures. Airbags didn't deploy, did they? The damage is equivalent to a low speed side swipe, not a crash. However, you might want to try for a diminished value claim as someone else suggested.

The left front wheel got hit pretty hard, but can't tell if that translates to suspension or steering problems. My guess is not.

I have the same Fikse wheels and the centers unbolt from the inside. You may only need the rims replaced.

My bet is that you will need new skin on the left front fender and left door. The rear can be bumped and buffed to new, I think.

Your total bill will be much less than the $20K. I have pictures of my 964 after an accident that makes yours look like a minor parking mishap. My bill was $22k (about $34K in 2018 dollars) and I went way overboard with all kinds of extras, including a full concours repaint at my expense. When it was done it looked like the first day in the showroom. Actually better.

Having been down this road a few times, I know it can be disheartening, but things will work out. Metal and plastic can be fixed. Blood and guts, not so easily.

Please keep us updated.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I can't share the photos, but a Ford Escape T-boned a 2002 C4S at city speeds on the passenger side. There was a lot of cabin intrusion that was unusual for the vehicles and speeds involved. The passenger was killed.
Side impacts are the real killers. Trucks and SUVs are the worst due to the height of the bumpers relative to the driver in a car.

First, there is a lot less material to protect the occupant.

Second, the human body's organs do not tolerate lateral acceleration well. My wife was a paramedic and has seen more than her fair share of what looks like the uninjured dead, but internally they bleed out quickly from the shear forces.

Something to be thinking about at intersections.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:47 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay, hope you get it sorted
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Is all the damage pictured? If so there’s no way that’s $20k in damage. Looks like a little fender and door damage and very minor quarter panel damage. Is the damage worse than it appears in the Pics?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:34 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I can't share the photos, but a Ford Escape T-boned a 2002 C4S at city speeds on the passenger side. There was a lot of cabin intrusion that was unusual for the vehicles and speeds involved. The passenger was killed.
Fair enough^^ by “city speeds” do you mean 40 mph or less? A square hit at that speed is definitely enough to slam a passengers head into the window, or even the roof edge. It’s also possible that the airbag didn’t deploy...In addition, it’s possible that the passenger had some other physical defect that was exacerbated by the crash... I guess what I’m trying to say is that generally speaking, if everything is in working order, these are considered pretty safe cars
Old 05-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

$3.50

After a code brown like that I'm just happy to see the damage is what it is and you're obviously unscathed - besides your dry cleaning bill.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm in for 14K. Another thing to be thankful for is that the truck did not have those 8" spiked "chariot wheel" cutting lug bolts. They would have opened the side like a tuna can.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Any news?

More interested in your plight, not so much who wins the guessing lottery.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you got off lucky.

An 18 wheeler hit my driver's side (I was in the right lane of a 2 lane highway) and the 18 wheeler tried to occupy the space I was in.

His front cab latched on to my rear fender, dragged my car for 50 yards until it became unlatched and I did at least a 180 and then barrel rolled into a ditch into the median with 3 passengers in the car. The roof collapsed (car came to rest upside down). Luckily, all my track experience spinning kept me Calm and didn't touch the brakes otherwise It would have been worst.

All three passengers had to go to the hospital but no one hurt thankfully. State Trooper mentioned that he'd seen a lot of accidents and was totally surprised at the fact that we all walked away alive.

Moral of the story: Don't ever spend any amount of time next to the truck and keep out of their blind spots (which is much, much larger than you think). I rather risk blowing by a truck at 100 mph than to casually pass them at the speed limit.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jyoteen
you got off lucky.

An 18 wheeler hit my driver's side (I was in the right lane of a 2 lane highway) and the 18 wheeler tried to occupy the space I was in.

His front cab latched on to my rear fender, dragged my car for 50 yards until it became unlatched and I did at least a 180 and then barrel rolled into a ditch into the median with 3 passengers in the car. The roof collapsed (car came to rest upside down). Luckily, all my track experience spinning kept me Calm and didn't touch the brakes otherwise It would have been worst.

All three passengers had to go to the hospital but no one hurt thankfully. State Trooper mentioned that he'd seen a lot of accidents and was totally surprised at the fact that we all walked away alive.

Moral of the story: Don't ever spend any amount of time next to the truck and keep out of their blind spots (which is much, much larger than you think). I rather risk blowing by a truck at 100 mph than to casually pass them at the speed limit.
The worst truck accident I saw was on a busy highway when a loaded semi rear ended another semi that had a large bulldozer on its trailer.

The bulldozer was knocked askew and had a few scratches—nothing a can of yellow spray paint wouldn't fix.

The "other guy" probably did not make it. The front engine compartment of the cab was compressed clean back to the cab's window. An impressive, but sorrowful, match between two titans.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you're alright. Where are your mirror covers from? I'm trying to source some
Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Just as an aside, in Illinois if the damage is more than 25% of the value of the car it is considered totaled and gets a salvage/rebuilt title. These days is does not take that much damage for the cost to exceed 25%, particularly with an older 996.

Quick Reply: My 996tt got side squished between two 18 wheelers :(