Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speaker Question: Do JBL GTO 329's fit dash on Pre-Bose Models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:28 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts
Default Speaker Question: Do JBL GTO 329's fit dash on Pre-Bose Models?

I've seen several threads mentioning the JBL GTO 329's for the 996 dash speakers, but all those discussions have been for the Bose system. Do the JBL 329's also fit the Pre-Bose cars? (my car is model year 2000 if it matters)

The reason I ask is because I have the Alpine SPS 410 currently, which are 4" and the JBL's 329's are only 3.5 inch. Also, are the JBL's truly bolt-in? On the Alpine's, I had to modify the speaker basket a bit before they fit.

I am considering the JBL's over the Alpines for two reasons:

1) The seemingly great feedback on RL for the JBL's sound quality; and
2) I've had two Alpine's fail so far. The first was replaced under warranty, but now the 2nd one has failed (rattling noise on bass both times).

At this point I think I'd rather change to JBL's rather than get another Alpine, particularly if the JBL's sound better. I don't really crank the stereo ever, so not sure why I've had 2 Alpines fail.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

<-- POST DELETED -->

I thought for a minute that JBL 429's (4") would work instead of 329's (3.5") since I know 4" Alpines fit. Looking more closely at the pictures though, it looks like 429's cannot be mounted from underneath while 329's can mount from underneath because there is a ring around the speakers.

Comparison of JBL 429 and Alpine SPS-410 -> https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0Md18X...e-SPS-410.html
Specs for JBL 329 -> https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Tn2M7...BL-GTO329.html

Crutchfield indicates that Alpine SPS-410's will fit a 996 with mods (which is true). Crutchfield says that JBL GTO 329's and 429's do not fit a 996 (but it seems like RLers have fitted 328/329's without issue, at least on Bose cars, still not sure about pre-Bose).

Last edited by peterp; 05-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I cannot answer your question, but my ‘99 non-bose setup needs all new speakers as well. I have a JL amp and sub that are waiting patiently.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a post on installing GTO428, https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13963787.
I compared GTO428 and 429 specs on the Harman's website and it seems 429 indeed has slightly larger cut-out diameter, 3-1/2 vs 3-3/4. I have a set of 429s also waiting to be installed, so will have to get on with it before the return expiration date.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbse39
Here is a post on installing GTO428, https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13963787.
I compared GTO428 and 429 specs on the Harman's website and it seems 429 indeed has slightly larger cut-out diameter, 3-1/2 vs 3-3/4. I have a set of 429s also waiting to be installed, so will have to get on with it before the return expiration date.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid I was talking gibberish (of course, it is gibberish unless you happen to have any of these speakers ). Look forward to seeing how your 429 install goes! Is your 996 Bose, or pre-Bose?

Last edited by peterp; 05-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:43 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I cannot answer your question, but my ‘99 non-bose setup needs all new speakers as well. I have a JL amp and sub that are waiting patiently.
My experience is that you will get a sound pretty big sound improvement from replacing the dash/rear speakers. If you have the HiFi option, the stock mid-bass woofers in the doors are actually pretty good. For whatever reason, the build quality of the factory woofer is much higher than the factory dash/rear speakers. I replaced the door woofers with Tang subs and, while they go deeper than the factory woofers, it's more difficult to get balanced bass and the power of the Tang subs can overwhelm the door enclosure limits (the door can rattle with bass-heavy songs). If I had to do it again, I'd leave the stock woofers and use an external sub to fill out the bass as it sounds like you are doing.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:24 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

I just pooped open one of the GTO429 boxes and removed dash speakers to size it up. Unfortunately, it looks like it will require trimming the original plastic mounting trim. I initially thought grinding away the inner most "ring", marked with orange but I would have to grind away about half of the outer ring, marked with green. It seems it is largely due to the way outer structure of the speaker is built. 428 has magnet mounted on top without anything covering it but 429 has plastic outer structure covering magnet which makes it bulkier.

I think I will order a set of 329s which probably will fit with less surgery.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I am interested to see how this goes. The speakers in my 99 also need to be replaced.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:15 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Im also interested to see how it goes,

I want to pair new speakers up with the Porsche classic radio. Have everything factory looking.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:27 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

329s are on their way, should be here tomorrow. I do have Bose with CDR220, and my plan is to update the speakers, add Bluetooth to the factory head unit for the time being, especially since a LARGE of sum of money is being spent on suspension overhaul. I was surprised to find that it is almost impossible to find an aftermarket head unit (Double DIN) with volume ****, Apple Car Play (or proprietary app that effectively can mirror select apps, like Waze) and HD radio. Any suggestion would be (feel free to PM) welcome.

Thanks.

John
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

I just pooped open one of the GTO429 boxes and removed dash speakers to size it up. Unfortunately, it looks like it will require trimming the original plastic mounting trim. I initially thought grinding away the inner most "ring", marked with orange but I would have to grind away about half of the outer ring, marked with green. It seems it is largely due to the way outer structure of the speaker is built. 428 has magnet mounted on top without anything covering it but 429 has plastic outer structure covering magnet which makes it bulkier.

I think I will order a set of 329s which probably will fit with less surgery.
I had to go back to photos to remember what I did to mount the Alpines, but basically it was to cut off the for mounting tabs so they would fit in the factory speaker basket. I'm not sure how this compares to what you would need to do to get 429's to fit. Looking forward to your feedback on 329's.

Factory Dash Speaker (with awesome "100% genuine paper" cone! )

Factory Speaker (from side)

Alpine with mounting tabs cut off to fit in factory speaker basket

'
Alpine glued into factory basket

Mounted alpine before reinstalling (speaker wire harness from Crutchfield)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:00 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Just finished mounting 329s to the dash housing as well as rear side panel housings. It was pretty straight forward and definitely easier than the 429s. All you need to to is cut the mounting tabs half way, just so that you can use the remaining plastic tabs to hold it against the frame with screws. I applied some hot glue to make sure it won't come off or rattle. I cut the wires to the Bose tweeters and wrapped with electrical tape. I turned the stereo on to verify sound from all speakers but did not do much listening so cannot say much about the sound quality at the moment. It definitely has more bass as well as clarity, but Bose was actually pretty decent, except for occasional crackle from the right dash speaker.

I will get to the 529s tomorrow.

Last edited by jbse39; 05-04-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:03 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

I did mine a month ago, and although I used Focal brand speakers, I had the same issues that I think every speaker option will run into.
I ended up buying these custom machined adapter rings from Car Audio Innovations .

They're machined to fit the stock speaker grills although you do have to trim the mounting ears off like others have mentioned.

You still need a Dremmel to tweak the stock grills but it is mostly for the tweeters.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Replaced Bose woofers in the rear deck with a pair of 529s, which fit without any modification. The mounting ears are plastic so just make sure not to tighten the screws down too much, otherwise they will crack. I spent a few minutes adjusting bass and treble setting (it was set way too high on the treble). I think I left them at 3 on both and sounded very nice, and I prefer the sound in the 996 compared to Bose system in my wife's 2014 Cayenne which may have something to do with the size and shape of the space, I wonder?

I will eventually have to replace the door speakers but if I did not already have the speakers, I'd be just as happy with the way they are now.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Just finished mounting 329s to the dash housing as well as rear side panel housings. It was pretty straight forward and definitely easier than the 429s. All you need to to is cut the mounting tabs half way, just so that you can use the remaining plastic tabs to hold it against the frame with screws. I applied some hot glue to make sure it won't come off or rattle. I cut the wires to the Bose tweeters and wrapped with electrical tape. I turned the stereo on to verify sound from all speakers but did not do much listening so cannot say much about the sound quality at the moment. It definitely has more bass as well as clarity, but Bose was actually pretty decent, except for occasional crackle from the right dash speaker.
Thanks for the feedback. Based on this, I think I am going to order the 329's too replace my failing Alpines rather than getting a replacement set of Apines. My car is "Pre Bose", but seems likely that, if the dash speakers fit in Bose cars, they should fit in pre-Bose (at least I hope).

Quick Reply: Speaker Question: Do JBL GTO 329's fit dash on Pre-Bose Models?