Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speaker Question: Do JBL GTO 329's fit dash on Pre-Bose Models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 PM
DBF
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to try these on my pre-Bose 996. Does the factory wire harness fit the JBL's, or do you need an adapter?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by DBF
I'm going to try these on my pre-Bose 996. Does the factory wire harness fit the JBL's, or do you need an adapter?
I can't speak definitively for the JBL's because I don't have them yet, but I'm pretty sure they don't come with the speaker wiring harness because the connector is specific to Porsche. I know the Alpines definitely did not come with them. The speakers are just two wires, so you can just splice in if need be, but it's a lot cleaner to use the wiring harness. I got my harnesses for the Alpine (which should also fit the JBL's) from Crutchfield. Amazon carries some harnesses, but I didn't see one for Porsche (there was one for VW, but it looks different then Porsche in the picture).
Old 05-12-2018, 06:15 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

JBLs have the same spade-type fittings so no need to modify wires. You may need to crimp it a bit for snug fit but that's about it, at least on my Bose-equipped car.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

On the pre-Bose cars (at least on my MY2000), the harness actually plugs directly into the speakers rather than having the typical male spades you see on most speakers. Actually, the terminals inside the connector look a bit like spades, so you might be able to attach speaker leads, but the cleanest way is to use the harness (shown in the last pic of post #11). The harness helps ensure that the speakers have proper polarity (speakers will work fine connected either way, but you loss bass if they are not both wired with the same polarity because the speakers moving in opposing directions causes the bass soundwaves to be cancelled out).

Here is a photo of the back of my original (pre-Bose) speaker that shows where the harness plugs in:

Original (Pre-Bose) Speaker
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Netrunnerz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been able to install the GTO329s in the rear speaker baskets? I received mine this weekend and it's not a snug fit. I was told by CAI that their ring adapters will not fit these speakers...

Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,709 Posts

So this thread motivated me to swap my speakers to the 329's. I just cut the basket off the old speakers and noched the speaker cover and the old basket to samwich the 2, 329 speaker tabs. I did not have to cut the tabs. I then hot glued the tabs to secure the speaker. I did have to trim the plastic on the speakers i the rear because they hit the grill. I guess i should have taken a pic . I think my door speakers will here today, got a set of i
nfinity KAPPA52.11i nfinity KAPPA52.11i
They had a few good reviews and amazon had an open box for half off.

they sound pretty good compared to the factory, my system is deffinately not bose on a 2000 c2, but i do have what looks like an factory amp in the frunk. I really want to keep the factory radio because of the clean look but i probably swap out the amp with an adjustable low pass filter.

Last edited by De Jeeper; 06-11-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added.pics
Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,709 Posts

So i put the infinity speakers in the door. I cant say i would recomend them because they sound a little muddy. Im not sure if its the speakers, factory head unit or the Haas 6x40 amp. Im sure the system really needs an eq. Here r a couple p8cs from the install. The screw pattern is the same, but u need to open up the box slightly for clearence. I just used my knife because i was too lazy to get the dremmel. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Shooter_McGavin
Track Day

Bringing this back to life, has anyone swapped out the factory amp with an aftermarket one? Are there any out there that fit the factory bracket in the frunk?

Also, for dash and rear speakers, it sounds like any 3.5" speaker will fit in the factory enclosures with some fiddling, is there anything else out there besides the GTOs that anyone likes?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:58 PM
djpartee
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shooter_McGavin
Bringing this back to life, has anyone swapped out the factory amp with an aftermarket one? Are there any out there that fit the factory bracket in the frunk?

Also, for dash and rear speakers, it sounds like any 3.5" speaker will fit in the factory enclosures with some fiddling, is there anything else out there besides the GTOs that anyone likes?
I found a link on here last summer, a guy found an amp that would fit and did the whole install himself. So yes it can be done. Its a great write up.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Shooter_McGavin
Track Day

Hey Everyone, I replaced my dash speakers with a set of Polk DB351 3.5" speakers and the passenger side is getting little to no power. When I isolate that speaker, adjust balance and fade to front right, there is only a very faint sound coming from that speaker yet when I do the same for all other speakers they sound loud as expected. I double checked the wiring on both the new speakers and redid it every way possible but always got the same result. Any ideas on where I should check to sort this out?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Hey Everyone, I replaced my dash speakers with a set of Polk DB351 3.5" speakers and the passenger side is getting little to no power. When I isolate that speaker, adjust balance and fade to front right, there is only a very faint sound coming from that speaker yet when I do the same for all other speakers they sound loud as expected. I double checked the wiring on both the new speakers and redid it every way possible but always got the same result. Any ideas on where I should check to sort this out?
Do you have a meter to check resistance? Sounds like a short. You can try swapping the channels to see if the amp is shorted
Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Shooter_McGavin
Track Day

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Do you have a meter to check resistance? Sounds like a short. You can try swapping the channels to see if the amp is shorted
That's kind of what I was thinking also, I'll see if I can borrow a meter from somewhere, would it be worth pulling out the stereo and checking the connections there or would it more likely be from the amp? I pulled the amp off and all the wires are tied into a couple big plugs so I'm not sure how to swap channels. There aren't RCA inputs like on an aftermarket amp.

My car is non-bose 6 speaker system with CDR-220 stereo and factory frunk amp btw.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM
aturcotte
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New system

I have a 2000 c2 cab. I put polk 4x6 in front and rear. Lots of cutting , replaced door with polk 6.5 added kenwood double din and kenwood 5channel amp in frunk with a kicker 8 inch boxed woofer behind driver seat foot well. Gives me hands free and sounds much better . I had the cr220 and hifi option.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Pulx30
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The basket of the new speaker could be pinched. This would make it sound like it's getting little to no power.

Quick Reply: Speaker Question: Do JBL GTO 329's fit dash on Pre-Bose Models?