996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 c2 2002 problems

Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 AM
Karen Foreman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 c2 2002 problems

I've had the car for a year and no major problems , the car hadn't been used for 10 weeks and the alarm had gone off a couple of times and battery seemed to drain.
On my return the battery had been charged.. Forgot to mention this battery was a new one Approx 20 weeks ago ..
On using the car the back window would not go up , followed by there is no radio that is showing , the time temp etc all showing but no am/fm ..
Next day after taking the hard top off the window seemed fine but lost heater and heated seats , next day windscreen wipers , following day battery dead.. The alarm has also gone off again and couldn't be stopped easily.. Has anyone ever encountered such problems and is it all to do with the battery or more likely the altamator ?
Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm horrible at electrical trouble shooting, but first place I would confirm is that the floor is dry. One of the computers sits on floor beneath driver seat and is exposed to any leakage from roof or blocked roof drains. If you reach under the seat, you should feel the edge of the carpet and recess that the computer sits in.

Second, would be the inexpensive but troublesome ignition switch. If you search it, you will see it is a common issue and inexpensive item, that can cause all sorts of electrical issues. I don't know of any way to test it, other than simply put in a new one and see if it works. It's a cheap part if it doesn't work.

Sorry, all I've got. Hopefully Ahsai will chime in, he's very good with this electrical stuff.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Automotive batteries do not work like deep cycle marine batteries that can take a full to dead charge over and over. They work best at a steady voltage all the time. If an automotive battery goes completely dead, even a recharge sometimes will not recover the battery so it works right. As said, make sure the carpet under the seat is not wet, and then replace the battery with a new one. Don't let it go completely flat. If the car is not to be used for 10 weeks, get a battery maintainer/charger.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
If the car is not to be used for 10 weeks, get a battery maintainer/charger.
+1

The optimum threshold for this is probably a lot less than 10 weeks. I find the battery is slightly but measurably discharged after a few days - I suspect even a couple of weeks would be enough to create problems. (But I've heard that a locked 996 goes into a deeper "sleep" after 5 days, which should extend the time to battery problems / damage.)

I made a lead that plugs into the (otherwise unused) cigarette lighter, so it takes just a few seconds to connect a smart charger.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a VW Jetta that had electronic gremlins. Alarm would randomly go off etc. Had leak around window and computer under driver's seat got wet and had to be replaced. Check the other things mentioned to. I've had battery die in my 01 cab and never had any issues after recharging, so betting it's the computer.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

My battery will discharge significantly in two to three days. I think it is due to a bad microswitch in one of my doors keeping the alarm system activated. I installed a cut off switch on the negative batter terminal almost a year ago and that has worked out well. One of these days when I have the time, I will chase the microswitch issue.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Karen Foreman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 cab problems

Thankyou so much we think that it possibly is the ignition not switching back and. Draining the battery on turnin get key slightly back everything works ..
Does anyone know what I need to be looking for on replacing.
its a Porsche 911 o2 cab ..
Thankypu so much for all the input ..
Also the radio has completely
disappeared is this likely to be a fuse at the back .. Checked in fuse box and is ok ..
Also want to update to be able to play six what should I be looking at to upgrade ?
Old 04-27-2018, 05:24 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

You need to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. If you search the forums there are many threads about the part numbers, methods for doing so because it is a very common problem.

Here is one for example https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...mechanism.html
Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Here are some good instructions. It is not hard especially if you have two elbows and 4 wrists on your right arm..

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/R...on_Switch.html

This is a poorly done vid that shows another way to get to the screws that hold the switch. I have removed the vent he removes in this vid and was able to undo the screws from the drivers seat, he goes back under. You will still have to crawl under the dash to address the plug and the duct. Get a campers headlight to make it easier to see what you are doing.

Last edited by fpb111; 04-29-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
It is not hard especially if you have two elbows and 4 wrists on your right arm..
That description fits so many DIY projects on this car. Great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 c2 2002 problems