Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Upgraded shocks with OE springs (liveability questions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Ricter
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded shocks with OE springs (liveability questions)

Hi all!

I'm the owner of a daily driven, 2002 C2. I commute in this car. Generally 2 hours a day round trip, mostly highway. I addition to this usage, my wife has recently discovered the joys of autocrossing. And that's where my question comes in.
We'd like to stay in the basic street class, which allows for the shocks to be changed out, but not the springs. Does anyone here have any real life answers about a combination therein. Both in how it performs under performance driving, and for my daily commute? I was looking specifically at the Bilstein B6s, or B8s. I'm assuming the former are the way to go since lowering springs won't be added. But I'd love to know if anyone else has gone this route and what I might expect, or what a better option for this use case might be.

Picture of the car in use added just for fun.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 597 Posts

You may look into the ROW M030 option. Porsche factory suspension. Around $1500 shipped (w/M030 sways) from Suncoast, Design 911 and a couple others. I love my set-up for the flexibility and liveability.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Ricter
5th Gear

Thanks. I've looked at that, but I can't switch to the Euro suspension without changing SCCA classes. I'm likewise only allowed to change one, but not both, swaybars.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

After a bunch of research, I went with the Bilstein B6 on stock springs and have been very pleased with the result. I don't autocross or race the car, just everyday daily driver. And it is comfortable without being harsh or firm riding.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:30 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
After a bunch of research, I went with the Bilstein B6 on stock springs and have been very pleased with the result. I don't autocross or race the car, just everyday daily driver. And it is comfortable without being harsh or firm riding.
Are they the "original" stock springs?
I believe my '99 has the original shocks it was born with. I'll be changing them out this winter along with a brake job. I'm wondering if it necessary to replace the springs with new OE spec. ones or leave the originals.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Original stock springs. Had to replace because the OE shock on the right front passenger side was leaking all the oil out.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Ricter
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Original stock springs. Had to replace because the OE shock on the right front passenger side was leaking all the oil out.
How does it compare to the original oe combo? You say it’s not harsh, but is it at all noticeably firmer than before even with the stock dorings still in place? Less lean? Or is it just the same? I guess I was expecting the B6s to be a bit of a performance upgrade over original, while still being comfortable enough to live with everyday.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Andrew Stowell
Advanced

I just got the Koni FSD shock kit. They have a rebate of $50 until the end of May. Best price I could find was here:
https://www.tunersports.com/koni-fsd...10_p25209.html

I'm using the stock springs and sways. It uses the same kind of valving that high end shocks like Ohlins use to soften up over large bumps and remain stiff in corners.

Very comfortable to drive everyday on normal roads. Better than the OEM shocks. Noticeable better in the corners, but I haven't had a chance to autocross the car with the new shocks yet.

I can't say whether the B6 are stiffer or better for autocross. You can definitely find much stiffer adjustable shocks (racing shocks) that would be better if you were very serious about autocross, but I wouldn't want to use them for a 2 hour drive each day.

I'm happy with the Koni FSD and if you aren't getting lowering springs, I think they are the best choice.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ricter

How does it compare to the original oe combo? You say it’s not harsh, but is it at all noticeably firmer than before even with the stock dorings still in place? Less lean? Or is it just the same? I guess I was expecting the B6s to be a bit of a performance upgrade over original, while still being comfortable enough to live with everyday.

OE equivalent is the Bilstein B4. Upgraded performance is the B6. Sportier and firmer with better damping, so less lean in the corners. Of course remember, I had some 120K miles on the OE shocks when the right front blew, and when I rebuilt my front struts, I replaced everything from the strut mount down. Also replaced the outer tie rods both sides. So naturally I was going to feel a significant difference in ride and steering.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with the B4 because my 65 yr old a$$ needs coddling and for me I have no intention of tracking the car. Super happy with the change. The car is just better. No other way to explain in. No bobbing, more "solid" on the rough roads of NJ. IMHO you can't go wrong with a quality product.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Stowell
I just got the Koni FSD shock kit. They have a rebate of $50 until the end of May. Best price I could find was here:
https://www.tunersports.com/koni-fsd...10_p25209.html

I'm using the stock springs and sways. It uses the same kind of valving that high end shocks like Ohlins use to soften up over large bumps and remain stiff in corners.

Very comfortable to drive everyday on normal roads. Better than the OEM shocks. Noticeable better in the corners, but I haven't had a chance to autocross the car with the new shocks yet.

I can't say whether the B6 are stiffer or better for autocross. You can definitely find much stiffer adjustable shocks (racing shocks) that would be better if you were very serious about autocross, but I wouldn't want to use them for a 2 hour drive each day.

I'm happy with the Koni FSD and if you aren't getting lowering springs, I think they are the best choice.
I did the exact same thing on my 2002 C2. I left the springs and sway bars alone, but went with Koni FSDs. All the same feedback from above. Same ride height, livable when driving over speed bumps, bumpy roads, etc, but they do a nice job of firming up under more spirited use. My previous stock shocks were pretty well shot, so my experience may have been more noticeable, but I'm pretty happy with the ride, especially as it's a daily driver.

I don't autocross, but I'm considering doing upgraded sway bars just to take a little more body roll out during a few of my favorite daily on-ramp curves. :-)
Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I went with the B4 because my 65 yr old a$$ needs coddling and for me I have no intention of tracking the car. Super happy with the change. The car is just better. No other way to explain in. No bobbing, more "solid" on the rough roads of NJ. IMHO you can't go wrong with a quality product.
Good feedback thanks. Exactly what I am looking for... (for awful NJ roads)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Ricter
5th Gear

Thanks for all the responses!

Sounds like I can't go wrong with either the konis or the B6s in this use case.

Quick Reply: Upgraded shocks with OE springs (liveability questions)