Installed Bluetooth on Becker CDR220, but ended with an extra part

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Bluetooth on Becker CDR220, but ended with an extra part

Hello guys,
On my second attempt to install Bluetooth on my original Becker CDR220 (2001 C2 convertible), i successfully installed it. I shouldn't call it second attempt, because I got as far as reading the instructions and backed out. The bluetooth adapter from http://www.discountcarstereo.com/A2D-BKR.html is fantastic and the instructions are perfect. Plug and play and my radio only had the yellow connector and the 8-way on the factory harness. My iphone paired up right away and everything else works. I recommend this product...which i never do. the first thing i bought 2 years ago seemed like a kluge and it was compared to this one.
The hardest thing was dinking around with the tools and pulling the radio out. But fear not, let me know if you need help.

Anyhow, when I pulled my radio out, there was a plastic piece left on the radio bay. It had some contacts, but i can't see where it belongs. Here are pictures of it and I hope someone can tell me where this goes. It is a shame ....I don't know what it is and i just know that it was there in the bay and it doesn't look like part of the radio or the harness. Help please. See pictures attached.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:29 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

That is the light that illuminates the little plactic ring around the face of the cigar lighter . fits on top of the lighter assembly on the back of the lighter.. Comes on when you turn on the headlights so you can see the lighter in the dark. Looks like yours fell off somewhere along the line, maybe when you removed the "horse shoe" face panel.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Default RE: Installed Bluetooth on Becker CDR220, but ended with an extra part

az968gpw, I followed your lead and somehow it clamped on top of the socket. Thank you very much. I was about to tore into it some more but there really wasn't much else to dismantle. So, is like having a whole new car...kind of...music. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Glad to be of help. I recently replaced my cig lighter (the lighter was missing in my car so i replaced the whole assembly since the lighter came with it) and discovered the same little gizmo.

So does the bluetooth adapter you bought sync with Android devices? I've been thinking about adding one to my radio, i have the same radio.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

There is actually a removable bulb inside there but for the price ~10 or so for the entire unit its worth buying the whole thing for the dealership!

Recently replaced mine with the non smokers kit

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

I wanted the non smoker package but it was a larger receptical and 12v chargers wouldn't fit as well. Plus the light ring wouldn't fit. So I went back to the regular lighter. I did replace the ashtray with the tray.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by az968gpw
I wanted the non smoker package but it was a larger receptical and 12v chargers wouldn't fit as well. Plus the light ring wouldn't fit. So I went back to the regular lighter. I did replace the ashtray with the tray.
There is an additional light ring that needs to be purchased:
996 652 104 00

Can't vouch for things not fitting, tbh I don't really use it.

Actually the plug from the non smokers kit is too big for the regular outlet so I had to replace the whole thing. I'm quite happy with it because its quite peculiar its unfortunately only offered in A01 - Gloss black whereas everything else in my car is A05 mat black. For this reason im tempted to change it back.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:35 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Yeah, for some reason the fake cig lighter is larger than the standard receptical, so you have to replace the whole thing. Really not well designed.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 AM
dan_189
Race Car

PITA to change too

Some people have just filed down the plug. I just changed the whole unit
Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

az968gpw, I believe it just cares about the Bluetooth version, not whether it is a droid or ios or windows. It paired right away. Don't forget to have your radio code handy.
Go here -> http://www.discountcarstereo.com/A2D-BKR.html
Somewhere in that page there is a link to the installation and you can call them too. I talked to them because i didn't want to make the same mistake.

Regarding your exchange with Dan189, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something important.

What i wish i could fix is the wiper speed thing...it has never worked.

Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschelova

Regarding your exchange with Dan189, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something important.
Its not important haha
Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Noooo Dan, i was talking about the green and black thing that i found when i took my radio. If it is to light up the cigarette lighter, it is not. cheers. You are not a troll
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschelova
Noooo Dan, i was talking about the green and black thing that i found when i took my radio. If it is to light up the cigarette lighter, it is not. cheers. You are not a troll
Haha all good!

My light stopped working so I had to fix it, personally I can't stand it when things don't work!! Gave me an excuse to install the rest of the non smokers kit to match the shelf that I have anyway.

Back on track, I found that without the black part the light would work intermittently because the black part holds the light unit in place. I know this because I forgot to install and every time I put the horseshoe back on the light would stop working. Until I installed that black part

Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

The black clip holds the light in place so the electrical contacts stay in contact.

I decided that if I was going to use chargers in the cig lighter socket I'd have to stay with the standard lighter assembly. Would have preferred the non smoker kit for appearance sake. But at least the little tray that replaced the ashtray is a lot more useful than the ashtray.

Glad you got the light back working, little details like that drive me crazy, everything has to work. And that trait drives my wife crazy. :-)

Quick Reply: Installed Bluetooth on Becker CDR220, but ended with an extra part