Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Trunk won't open even with jumper cables (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1064089-trunk-wont-open-even-with-jumper-cables.html)

Redconv 04-16-2018 01:25 PM

Trunk won't open even with jumper cables

2003 Carrera, totally dead battery, attached charger to red contact in fuse box and door hinge, horn sounded in alarm mode, turned the key in the door lock/unlock, turned the key in the ignition switch, pushed the 2 buttons on the key multiple times, no luck. Any other suggestions?

RngTrtl 04-16-2018 01:49 PM

If you are saying that you hooked up a battery charger to the terminals it is likely that you didnt have enough current at 12 volts to do much other than set off the alarm. Can you use a good battery and jumper cables?

jhbrennan 04-16-2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Redconv (Post 14945827)
2003 Carrera, totally dead battery, attached charger to red contact in fuse box and door hinge, horn sounded in alarm mode, turned the key in the door lock/unlock, turned the key in the ignition switch, pushed the 2 buttons on the key multiple times, no luck. Any other suggestions?

The manual says use a battery not a charger. Charger won't give you enough juice.

DBJoe996 04-16-2018 02:13 PM

Agree with the others, a charger probably is not enough. However, did you try the trunk release IN the car? You said you only pushed the buttons on the remote key. Think about it, if your battery is completely dead, so is the immobilzer. Your keys won't communicate with the car because it has no voltage. As said, get more 12V on it. And relocate your emergency release cable for the frunk so it is accessible at times just like this.

Antigravity 04-16-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Redconv (Post 14945827)

Hi we are new sponsor to the forum and all we do is lithium-ion battery products including Starter Batteries and also the Mini Jump Starter... our brand is Antigravity Batteries MICRO-START. Anyway as some others have recommended and stated you need to have a certain amount of current probably a good couple amps from 6 to 10 that would be enough to energize the system because there will be other areas of the system pulling current.... Additionally I tested with an ammeter in-line on the battery and flicked that trunk switch button and it was a good couple amps it took to even activate it.

So if you have one of the mini jump starters you can attach it to your battery to supply sufficient current to get in the trunk. I don't know if the 996 has the same fuse box panel with the red BuSpar that you pull out but you could also use 12 V on that as long as it has roughly 6-10Amps....

bbboomer67 04-16-2018 05:15 PM

I have an Antigravity battery that I used with my motorcycles. It has always worked great. I keep it under the driver's seat in my '02 996 C2...just in case my battery dies!

jhbrennan 04-16-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DBJoe996 (Post 14945971)
Agree with the others, a charger probably is not enough. However, did you try the trunk release IN the car? You said you only pushed the buttons on the remote key. Think about it, if your battery is completely dead, so is the immobilzer. Your keys won't communicate with the car because it has no voltage. As said, get more 12V on it. And relocate your emergency release cable for the frunk so it is accessible at times just like this.

Agree he should try the trunk release in the car but the immobilizer only affects the ignition. The remote on the key us entirely separate - has nothing to do with the start sequence.

golfmanlk 04-16-2018 08:52 PM

I tried a charger and it did not have enough juice. Used the battery (which was fully charged and out of the car at that point) and it opened the frunk right away!

Antigravity 04-16-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by bbboomer67 (Post 14946463)
I have an Antigravity battery that I used with my motorcycles. It has always worked great. I keep it under the driver's seat in my '02 996 C2...just in case my battery dies!

That's cool. We actually have alot of our smaller ones in the Race Cars and just came out with a Automotive battery ...the RS-30...

Also, I have a question for all of you.... I have read so many forums about those who can't get into their frunk.... and it actually happened to me.... But I used one of our MICRO-START products and connected the mini jump starter clamps to the the red buss bar where the fuses are (in a 991) and then grounded to a seat bolt.... but that was sort of a hassle and I couldn't see under the seat and mucked about for 10 minutes. So I was thinking what if we (Antigravity Batteries) made a harness with a cable end that hid under the front of the hood at the base of the windshield (at least that is how it is on a 991) and you could pull it out in emergencies and plug in a MICRO-START or other Mini Jump Starter and energize the system to open the frunk....But not only that you could jump start from this connection so you wouldn't need the mini jumpstarter clamps. Would that be something you guy might want to buy?

We actually already make that exact thing in a smaller version for Touring and ADV motorcycle guys so they don't have to remove the seat to to be able to jump start thier bikes in the middle of Africa.... They just plug their MICRO-START into what we call our "Clampless Harness" and can start the bike and drive away without spending 15 minutes removing the seat to put clamps on the battery to jump start it. So I'm thinking the same thing but for a Porsche since this seems to be a problem that often occurs.

Let me know your input either way.

joe-1972 04-16-2018 10:59 PM

Antigravity, I saw something like that already on-line... The part on the right gets mounted to a flat panel anywhere and the part on the left is what plugs into it magnetically. You just hook up your charger to the leads coming off of the back of the part on the left. That way if you FORGET to unplug it when you go to drive out of the garage it just pops off... and it also comes with a dust cap to cover it if you want to make it look clean when your out or just not using it.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b3931d9236.jpg

fpb111 04-16-2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by bbboomer67 (Post 14946463)

I keep mine in the frunk with my wheel lock socket.

Antigravity 04-17-2018 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe-1972 (Post 14947308)
Antigravity, I saw something like that already on-line... The part on the right gets mounted to a flat panel anywhere and the part on the left is what plugs into it magnetically. You just hook up your charger to the leads coming off of the back of the part on the left. That way if you FORGET to unplug it when you go to drive out of the garage it just pops off... and it also comes with a dust cap to cover it if you want to make it look clean when your out or just not using it.

That interesting and cool, thanks for showing that to me. Don't know if that connection wouldn't be alble to handle 6-10 amps of current.... I don't think since it looks like is just a magnetic connection and not a mechanically sound connection. It would be good for a maintainer potentially though.... I see some other uses also.

My idea is a bit different....Our current harness is like this image below.... it takes the place of the clamps on our MICRO-START unit. You bolt it to the battery like a typical battery charging harness... but then when you need to energize the system you plug in the blue end to a MICRO-START.... then energize or even jump start the car. ITs used instead of having to connect clamps directly to the battery.... https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...newer-xp1-xp3/.

I was just thinkin we could make the wires a little longer to allow them to get outside of the frunk and tucked away where they can't be seen but accessable....

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d9f04dad47.jpg

bbboomer67 04-17-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by fpb111 (Post 14947395)
I keep mine in the frunk with my wheel lock socket.

fpb111, If your battery dies, don't you have to figure out a way into the frunk to get to your antigravity booster? You can always open the car door with the key and access the booster if it's in the car. Please correct me if my thinking is off!

jhbrennan 04-17-2018 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by bbboomer67 (Post 14947782)
fpb111, If your battery dies, don't you have to figure out a way into the frunk to get to your antigravity booster? You can always open the car door with the key and access the booster if it's in the car. Please correct me if my thinking is off!

I'm sure his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

DBJoe996 04-17-2018 08:49 AM

omg...of course fpb111 was joking! Except...his point is...battery dies, you need to get in the frunk to access/jump the battery, in order to do so you have to locate the emergency release cable so you need to remove the passenger wheel and wheel liner, but your wheel lock socket is in the frunk so you can't remove the wheel and liner and so you are screwed. Get it?
Plus, bonus, if the car is locked, yes, you can get in with your key but more than likely the frunk release (even cable) will remain locked with a dead battery. And you cannot unlock it unless you have 12V supply, so that does no good either.
Please use this opportunity and lesson to relocate your emergency release cable to just behind the tow hook plug on your front bumper. This is a fundamentally important thing to do and takes about 10 minutes to accomplish. Pop the plastic plug and there is the emergency release cable. Ba-da-bing! Your in....