996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Trunk won't open even with jumper cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, I didn't get it! I was thinking about my '02 with the electric frunk release!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by bbboomer67
fpb111, If your battery dies, don't you have to figure out a way into the frunk to get to your antigravity booster? You can always open the car door with the key and access the booster if it's in the car. Please correct me if my thinking is off!

Actually I don't think he was joking.... and it a very good question. HOw do you get in the frunk to press the RE-START button on the Battery.

There are two ways.... you can do the trunk release but that is a hassle for sure...

or you can energize the battery with a MICRO-START or other mini-jump starter or battery... not sure if the 996 has the red buss bar on the fuse panel normally used to energize the system on a 991... but its the same thing. BUT that is why I posted that image of the Clampless Harness kit above... you could energize the system with our MICRO-START from outside the car with that harness... I would make the harness long enought to be tucked away right inside the back edge of the hood... then you just attach a MICRO-START in one second and you have jiuce to the entire system. But to go further you just keep your MICRO-START in the glove box... our smallest one call the SPORT is actually about the size of 2.5 cell phones laying on top of eachother... but not only will it jump start your Porsche... it will also charge any USB devices like your phone or tablets...https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...-starts/sport/

It will actually easily fit in your pocket it so small...

Hope
Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Redconv
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Just to clarify, the charger has a "START" mode to provide extra power which is when the horn alarm activated. I did try the frunk and engine compartment electric releases with no luck. Will try a jump from a running car next.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

If I were you, I would locate the engine lid emergency release cable under the left side rear light. Put some painters tape on the bumper (to avoid scratches) and use a wedge to separate the bumper and light. Then make a hook out of a piece of wire and "fish" around under the light to locate the release cable. Pull it and open the engine lid. Use the jumper points in the engine bay if trying to jump from another car. I would not hook up jumper cables to the fuse box...just too many amps to be messing around with that.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Silver6
Advanced

Antigravity, I like the idea. To me it makes a lot of sense. Question, Do you have to worry about the elements (weather) getting to the connection over time if it is run to the backside of the hood?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:45 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

I had this happen as few weeks ago. I used a portable jump starter (like what the tow truck guys carry) to get the frunk lid open. All good. More juice = Open sesame.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
If I were you, I would locate the engine lid emergency release cable under the left side rear light. Put some painters tape on the bumper (to avoid scratches) and use a wedge to separate the bumper and light. Then make a hook out of a piece of wire and "fish" around under the light to locate the release cable. Pull it and open the engine lid. Use the jumper points in the engine bay if trying to jump from another car. I would not hook up jumper cables to the fuse box...just too many amps to be messing around with that.
My understanding is the OP has an '03, which means he does not have an emergency release cable.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver6
Antigravity, I like the idea. To me it makes a lot of sense. Question, Do you have to worry about the elements (weather) getting to the connection over time if it is run to the backside of the hood?
We would make a cover for it.... that is a good question. I will make one and test it on our GT3 then bring it forward after some testing.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 AM
Silver6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Antigravity
We would make a cover for it.... that is a good question. I will make one and test it on our GT3 then bring it forward after some testing.
yes. I will be excited to see how it turns out. I would be all in for something like that.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Redconv
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the advice. Used another car battery with jumper cables connected to the fuse panel positive and the door hinge ground, Horn started and then pushed the buttons on the key long enough for 3 cycles, horn stopped, trunk release worked, charged the battery, everything good. To prevent this in the future, can I plug a trickle charger into the cigarette lighter? The car is parked outside, so will this work with the doors locked?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Redconv
Thanks for all the advice. Used another car battery with jumper cables connected to the fuse panel positive and the door hinge ground, Horn started and then pushed the buttons on the key long enough for 3 cycles, horn stopped, trunk release worked, charged the battery, everything good. To prevent this in the future, can I plug a trickle charger into the cigarette lighter? The car is parked outside, so will this work with the doors locked?
Glad it worked out for you. Many folks forget about the procedure outlined in the owner's manual (use a donor battery, remote to open, etc.) and it most cases the process works as advertised.

Keep an eye on your battery...once they start to fail, it's a pretty good indicator it will continue to disappoint you usually at an inopportune time.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Redconv
yes that is why the lighter is always “hot”.

My original post was “satirical”. We don’t use green, or any contrasting color, font here for joke threads.
Also many folks hook positive to the red pullout and the negative lead to the DOOR STOP that is a very poor ground. The manual shows using the chrome lock loop on the B pillar, a much better ground.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:28 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bbboomer67
My understanding is the OP has an '03, which means he does not have an emergency release cable.
They all do. 996 is in the right side in the cavity in front of the fender liner.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:14 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Tried all the above with no luck 02 996
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Silver6
Advanced

Default Any closer?

Just wondering if you were ever able to test this?

Originally Posted by Antigravity
That interesting and cool, thanks for showing that to me. Don't know if that connection wouldn't be alble to handle 6-10 amps of current.... I don't think since it looks like is just a magnetic connection and not a mechanically sound connection. It would be good for a maintainer potentially though.... I see some other uses also.

My idea is a bit different....Our current harness is like this image below.... it takes the place of the clamps on our MICRO-START unit. You bolt it to the battery like a typical battery charging harness... but then when you need to energize the system you plug in the blue end to a MICRO-START.... then energize or even jump start the car. ITs used instead of having to connect clamps directly to the battery.... https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...newer-xp1-xp3/.

I was just thinkin we could make the wires a little longer to allow them to get outside of the frunk and tucked away where they can't be seen but accessable....

Quick Reply: Trunk won't open even with jumper cables