Purchase Advise Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:09 PM
marked19
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Purchase Advise Needed

I posted this in the 40th Anniversary thread, but thought I'd try here too:

My local SoCal Porsche dealer has had a 40th (#300) for sale for a few months. I went to see it today and really enjoyed the look and drive:

https://hoehnporsche.com/inventory/u...tallic+1647625

They originally had it listed for $39995 and have gradually brought it down to $36995. Almost everything looks like it's in great condition and it drove very well - strong engine and nice feel to the clutch and gears. I know if I decide to purchase it I'll need a PPI, but I'm hopeful all of you can help me a bit first while I decide if I want to buy it. Here are the issues I could use your help with:

Service history - there is very little here. The car is low miles (37,000) and besides a few vague mentions of "vehicle serviced" in the carfax there are only 2 service records available: in Nov. 2013 the prior owner did 4 wheel alignment, 20,000 mile major maintenance, spark plugs and ignition coils, brake fluid flush, drive belt, new battery. The dealer here just put on 4 new tires, Brake fluid flushed/changed, four wheel alignment, new battery, and oil and filter changed. If a PPI looks good, can I live with this or is this car a potential ticking time bomb (I know it is to a degree anyway with the IMS, but is that worse with no history of oil changes or other services and the low miles)?

I know I'll want to upgrade the IMS and I know what that costs - how should I adjust the price based on that?

The car has clear bra on the front hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights. It's really scratched up badly - I guess better the clear bra than the paint. It will definitely need to be taken off - so any idea how much that will cost and to get the paint corrected? I'm a bit surprised the dealer didn't remove it because it's the only thing cosmetically that looks bad on the car.

The carfax notes damage to the rear Sept. 2013, and the dealer says the bumper was re-sprayed - it looks fine to me. Should I take anything off the price due to that?

It's hard for me to figure out the correct price for this car. I know it's a special limited edition and has lots of great features. When I look at the http://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale web site, prices are all over the place, although $34-$36k is in the range. kbb.com for the 40th Anniversary with 37K miles shows a fair purchase price of $26,975 and that seems really low. So what would you suggest I offer for this car given what little I know about the history and the need to remove the clear bra, correct the paint, and take care of the IMS and also do the needed 40K miles service? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks for whatever thoughts you can share on my potential purchase of this great Porsche!

Ed
Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't see any pictures in the link you posted....but I would say anything north of $30K is too much. That is my opinion. You can find low mileage 996's all over the place.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you set on a 40th? You're nearing Turbo money at that price point. Or a very well sorted C4S.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:23 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The car is overpriced. By a good bit. At $37k (plus the IMSB, plus removing the clear bar, plus who knows what) you are deep into the 997 zip code, so why wouldn't you go that route instead? If you want to get a 996 go for it. You should have no problem finding one with complete service history and possibly the IMSB addressed already for easily under $25K. Might not have the lowest miles but who cares.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:27 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If you can find a decent turbo for 35k I would say yes that would be better than a 40th. But good luck finding a turbo at that price without a million miles and/or TIP transmission. The 40th you found seems pretty minty.

As far as 40th vs C4S, I've owned both. I far prefer my 40th. The 40th is what you expect a 911 to feel and perform like when you drive one, much more raw than the C4S. The LSD, X51 (higher rev range) and lighter weight makes the 40th a completely different animal. The C4S feels bloated and slower at driving speeds. The C4S admittedly looks better, but the 40th with a few simple mods is no ugly duckling. I just don't see why the C4S would command a premium over the 40th in terms of price. You're also getting a numbered, limited edition vehicle in the 40th whereas the C4S is just one in the bunch.

Good luck with your purchase. Whatever you choose you should enjoy the experience. Although I will say I sold my C4S after about 2 months of ownership compared to the 40th which I have no desire to sell anytime soon.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM
marked19
Intermediate

I don't know what happened to the photos on the dealer website, but you can see them on Autotrader: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

I really don't have any interest in a turbo or C4S - the car is fast enough for me as it is in the base model, although with the x51 package the 40th edition is a special animal. I've driven a number of 996's and I do think this one is very special compared to them - so I agree with you completely e90Steve. My heart isn't set on a 40th, but since I saw this one I like it a great deal and really like the way it handles.

If I couldn't get it for significantly less with everything that will need to be done on it, then I might as well hold out for a 997.2.

Thanks for your responses
Old 04-15-2018, 04:59 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

There was a favorable article written on the 997.2 base model recently, that it is the 911 that people should be buying right now. Based on the price, reliability etc... so if it's in the price range couldn't go wrong with that.

https://www.pca.org/news/2018-04-10/...-all-be-buying

There is an argument to be made for every variety of 911 at a particular price point. Buy what speaks to you for what you can comfortably afford and don't look back.

As far as the 40th you posted, I think if it didn't have the accident history on the Carfax, someone out there would pay 33-35k. With the Carfax blip, I would say 30-32k would be a nice car. If the transmission isn't leaking, personally I would probably not change the IMS/RMS until you need a clutch, but I understand why so many people feel more comfortable sorting that out right away. Which could be a long time in a car with that low mileage. I swapped mine the day after I bought, but mine had 70k and needed a clutch.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM
marked19
Intermediate

I saw that article and agree with the argument about the 997.2. That's where I was headed but saw this 40th and am intrigued by it and enjoyed the way it drives - it does speak to me. I could hold out on the IMS, but with so little service history that seems like too much of a crap shoot at this point. Unless I can get this 996 for a lot less I'll hold onto my $$ for a 997.2
Old 04-15-2018, 06:06 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

They are asking $1 per mile. See if you can get it down to $0.85 then go for it. Does it have all three options? Luggage, key fob etc...?

i have that nav unit in my 04 turbo. It is a little “clunky” but we have learned to use it and it works fine. New CD sets, 2015, are available for it.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advise Needed