Sponsored by:

Question on Heat Cycling of R Compound Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:18 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Question on Heat Cycling of R Compound Tires

In the past I have always had my tires pre-heat cycled by the place I would buy them from. However, I just bought R888R tires for which that was not done with the intention of going out to the track for one session and then removing tires and letting them sit for 24 hours. It looks like I wont have time to do that before my first track day. Some of my friends say there is no need to do the pre heat cycle. What is the philosophy of you guys when it comes to that?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn’t stress it - assuming this is for a DE?

Try not to overwork the tires on your first session, let them come up to temp then give them a rest for an hour or so before the second session.

I would never pre heat cycle tires for just a DE. In a competition setting then all bets are off though
Old 04-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

At a DE level, or even at a hobby racing level I would not waste a heat cycle paying someone to do it for you.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Brand new tires still have some of the mold release compound in them. If you don't heat cycle them at least once, that mold release makes the tires a bit greasy the first time out. Be careful that first session and let them cool afterwards.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:35 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Its typically done on parade laps by real race drivers. F1 preheats all tires but I’m not on an F1 budget? Are you? If so, I’d love if you could donate a lowly GT3 to my causes, even an 04 with high miles...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:56 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the perspective....

I think based on what you guys say....this is what I will likely do.

1) Install wheels and tires at home and drive 35 miles to the track
2) Take car out at 80% for the first session
3) Skip the second session to let tires cool down
4) Do the rest of the six sessions.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't skip a session because of tires or any other reason. They are way too important to miss!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The way that I understand it, heat cycling also has to do with curing the rubber. When you first run the tires and heat them up some of the volatile compounds burn off to a certain depth and also the rubber gets stretched/compressed/kneaded. It is my understanding that when first running the tires, you don't want to "overcook" them as it burns out the volatiles to too deep a level for it to cure properly... and the kneading of the rubber is also important to the cure. You are supposed to go out for a few laps and build heat, then put the set aside for a week for the curing process to complete. In the end, buy curing the rubber you are supposed to get a longer usable life.

If it's a trackday event, then I'm with Slakker, too much fun to miss out. Just run'm.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:07 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtred
The way that I understand it, heat cycling also has to do with curing the rubber. When you first run the tires and heat them up some of the volatile compounds burn off to a certain depth and also the rubber gets stretched/compressed/kneaded. It is my understanding that when first running the tires, you don't want to "overcook" them as it burns out the volatiles to too deep a level for it to cure properly... and the kneading of the rubber is also important to the cure. You are supposed to go out for a few laps and build heat, then put the set aside for a week for the curing process to complete. In the end, buy curing the rubber you are supposed to get a longer usable life.

If it's a trackday event, then I'm with Slakker, too much fun to miss out. Just run'm.
You guys crack me up! Give me all the reason why I should cure the tire first and then say screw it....run'm. Is that what you all do?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:46 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Overthinking this. Don't skip anything.

I never heat cycle the tires. I just go easy the first few laps.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:35 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Overthinking this. Don't skip anything.

I never heat cycle the tires. I just go easy the first few laps.
The 30 minute drive to the track should get me that...Thanks!
I won't skip anything...:-)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I mean tires don't last forever.

I drove RE71rs 250 miles to an autocross. When I took the first runs the next morning they were garbage the first heat. But after a couple hours of cooling off, they were spot-on the second heat.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default You got a reasonable plan,

Unless your in A/B run group you should be OK The drive there will rid release compound if you work the tires,

My Sport Cup2's usually take a couple warm up laps to come in, then last the whole session w/o becoming greasy like other brands.

I have a Powerpoint somewhere which Michelin sent/passed out for sizes and setups for most Porsche's, including pressures and temp ranges coming off track.

Let us know how it worked out. always interested to hear the "They don't squeal, right up to the point they let go"
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Mike, now you have me all worried....I am in the intermediate group....I guess as someone earlier said....I am overthinking....I need to shut up and drive. I am picking my car up tomorrow... new engine and tranny with additional 100HP then the last time I drove it so a lot has changed.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought the same tires as you this year. First DE is in 2 weeks. My plan is to get them mounted and drive the back roads for 15 minutes and get them hot. Pull them off the car and let them sit for a week before the event. With the extra HP you have it should be quite the experience! Are you worried about breaking your new motor in?

Quick Reply: Question on Heat Cycling of R Compound Tires