996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ceika Performance Coilovers - my review

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

all these brands, including feal, ksport, etc just repackage and rebrand the same stuff, no? I find it hard to believe that feal or ceika is doing anything other than sourcing some custom springs from the lowest cost supplier. Not to say that its a bad product, but what happens when these guys all go out of business in a few years or if you have an issue?

I went with bilstein/h&r setup and I'm regretting it, so I looked at Feal. While I want to think they are better than just getting the cheapest ones off ebay, I really don't think thats the case.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Going with Feal on my next race build. Custom valving/springs for dedicated track use (900#F/1000#R is my preference) and rebuilding their own shocks for $75/corner are perfect for my next build.

Last edited by Slakker; 07-28-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Thibaulb24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceika

Did you get/ need camber plates for the rear? What spring rate and valving did you get? I’ve have issues in the past with coil overs being rather bouncy on the street, do these have that issue?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:46 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
all these brands, including feal, ksport, etc just repackage and rebrand the same stuff, no? I find it hard to believe that feal or ceika is doing anything other than sourcing some custom springs from the lowest cost supplier. Not to say that its a bad product, but what happens when these guys all go out of business in a few years or if you have an issue?

I went with bilstein/h&r setup and I'm regretting it, so I looked at Feal. While I want to think they are better than just getting the cheapest ones off ebay, I really don't think thats the case.
Why do you regret it?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

For a street car, its a great setup. The ride on the progressive H&R springs is outstanding, and the handling is good. But the car has become more track oriented and the suspension is just too soft for a track car and you can't corner balance or adjust. This was intended to be an interim setup and things escalated more quickly than expected (should have known). So now seeking something a bit more track oriented
Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

It's amazing how stiff springs can feel on the street and how soft the same springs can feel on the track.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

For a street car, its a great setup. The ride on the progressive H&R springs is outstanding, and the handling is good. But the car has become more track oriented and the suspension is just too soft for a track car and you can't corner balance or adjust. This was intended to be an interim setup and things escalated more quickly than expected (should have known). So now seeking something a bit more track oriented
I'm in the same boat albeit with ROW 030. Piecing together a new package now. Just need to decide on coilovers. Got GT3 F&R LCAs with solid mounts and monoballs, and camber plates F. Watching these coilover threads. Feal seems like a good bet to me so far, barring a good deal on something used.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:55 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience with offshore brand suspension parts is that they just don't do well in environments where Road salt is used . Seals go and corrosion gets so bad you end up replacing them long before you would if a more mainstream component was used .

it will be interesting to see how these units do 2-4 years out .

for my money , TUV approved German built parts like the h&r coilovers I used , with their bilstein hearts were worth it .
fyi factory gt3s came with h&r / bilstein joint venture coilovers .
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

from the subie threads, it seems these hold up ok. for a track oriented car, corrosion shouldn't be a big concern.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:45 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

moburki, if you decide to go the coilover route, I might be interested in your row m030 set up if its lightly used and fits a C2
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

from the subie threads, it seems these hold up ok. for a track oriented car, corrosion shouldn't be a big concern.
hopefully they will hold up to the extreame duty service of track use
it will be great to hear how these hold up two years from now . If they meet expectations they could be a real bargain !
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 PM
nivlek
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My PSS9 had a blown shock, I wanted to try something new, was researching on pss10, h&r, ohlins, these are the brands that I had experience with on my other cars. I then decided not to spend so much money on coilovers this time, since I only drive my 996 for about 3k miles a year and it doesn't see rain/snow. I was then searching for BC coilovers which few of my friends are using on their weekend cars with good results. However BC doesn't make coilovers for 996 c2, so I went for ceika instead with custom spring rates. I chose 7k front 10k rear. The cost of the ceika are a lot lower than the german brands, which gave me the budget to upgrade other worn suspension parts. I replaced the dog bones, front/rear toe links with RSS units.

My ceika setup do give up some comfort when comparing to the pss9 unit, but they feel sportier to drive with my chosen spring rates. Overall I have no complains based on what that they are offering at this price point, you still get a quality product.

Here's how the car looks with the new setup.

The following 3 users liked this post by nivlek:
barbancourt (12-06-2019), Nate.Evans (02-07-2022), rotaz (12-08-2022)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
My experience with offshore brand suspension parts is that they just don't do well in environments where Road salt is used . Seals go and corrosion gets so bad you end up replacing them long before you would if a more mainstream component was used .

it will be interesting to see how these units do 2-4 years out .

for my money , TUV approved German built parts like the h&r coilovers I used , with their bilstein hearts were worth it .
fyi factory gt3s came with h&r / bilstein joint venture coilovers .
I live in heavy salt area...a lot of the underbody has general rust and i drive all season long. Ksport coilovers lasted just over 60k miles throughout 3 winters. I replaced them with another set of new ksports this past fall due to 2 blown shock/struts. Some rust on the components but they held up just fine rust wise. Cost me 1.1k each time...can't complain
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM
911-man
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. What spring rates did you go with baq911?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nivlek
My PSS9 had a blown shock, I wanted to try something new, was researching on pss10, h&r, ohlins, these are the brands that I had experience with on my other cars. I then decided not to spend so much money on coilovers this time, since I only drive my 996 for about 3k miles a year and it doesn't see rain/snow. I was then searching for BC coilovers which few of my friends are using on their weekend cars with good results. However BC doesn't make coilovers for 996 c2, so I went for ceika instead with custom spring rates. I chose 7k front 10k rear. The cost of the ceika are a lot lower than the german brands, which gave me the budget to upgrade other worn suspension parts. I replaced the dog bones, front/rear toe links with RSS units.

My ceika setup do give up some comfort when comparing to the pss9 unit, but they feel sportier to drive with my chosen spring rates. Overall I have no complains based on what that they are offering at this price point, you still get a quality product.

Here's how the car looks with the new setup.

Stance looks great. What offset/tire combo are you running on rear?

And can I just say, headlights look badass on a lowered, clean setup 996.
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Ceika Performance Coilovers - my review