996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gasket Quality

Old 03-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Gasket Quality

As I look for parts to turn my short block back into a complete engine, I obviously need several gaskets and seals/o-rings. When I look at the usual recommended websites, most have "Elring Klinger", "O.E.M.", and "Genuine Porsche". I'm certain that the Genuine Porsche parts are factory service parts, and as such generally the most expensive.
I'm less clear on what "O.E.M." means, but I expect it is not what most consider it to be when the term OEM is used. I suspect O.E.M. is a brand name of aftermarket parts, but can't substantiate this.
I also have no idea what Elring Klinger is other than an aftermarket supplier.
I'm looking for recommendations on what gaskets are good to use. I'm looking for good quality parts for the critical applications, but not opposed to saving a few bucks if possible.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.E.M. that you are seeing on some parts are most the time actually genuine parts with the Porsche logo removed. I've had a few of the O.E.M. parts where you can see where the Porsche logo was ground off.
Elring Klinger is also very highly recommend, as most times they're the OE manufacture for most gaskets.

-Jason
Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

^^What he said^^ (I paused to answer a phone call before I hit the submit button...)

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are the same parts used by Porsche but not Branded "Porsche"... hence a discount generally in the 20-30% range. This fluctuates somewhat depending on the part but they are usually the same quality and
often they are the exact same part without the Porsche label (either on the part or the box). Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gasket Quality