Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Suspension Options

Old 03-28-2018, 01:22 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why even post? Just get the Konis and RUF springs and then tell us how much you love them. I love when its obvious when people have their mind made up then ask input and advice to then just ignore it. As for the price of things, playing with Porsches isnt cheap, buy once...cry once.
The following users liked this post:
cpsneineleven (11-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by michalik.piotr
Why even post? Just get the Konis and RUF springs and then tell us how much you love them. I love when its obvious when people have their mind made up then ask input and advice to then just ignore it. As for the price of things, playing with Porsches isnt cheap, buy once...cry once.
Lol. I made a purchase and it isn't what you've assumed. I asked because there is very little info I could find on the products I asked about. I'm all about putting quality parts on my car, but not everything has to carry the porsche tax. Thanks for your expert analysis. So far in 5 months I've put 10k in this car to simply bring it up to where it should be as far as maintenance. Clutch, IMS, RMS, AOS, Tires, Wheels, Fluids, Brakes, Wheels, SAI Pump and Lines yada yada. All OEM new parts installed minus the IMS. All installed by the most respected shop in town. I'm aware of the cost to run these cars.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:48 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope I didn't offend you man, sometimes I call like like I see it. Glad you got some suspension, let us know what you got and how it works for you. I will be shopping for suspension soon and starting to do research as well. I'm all about avoiding paying premiums based on marque and love recycling second hand parts if possible..... guy on here got lucky and got some Ohlins suspension for less then half price of retail! cheers!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:50 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, whichever combo you've chosen please be sure to update here once they're on and sorted. The usual suspects for road and DE/autox seem to be ROW m030, PSS10 (spoke to someone the other day who claimed he had a hard time findung them because supposedly Bilstein is FINALLY replacing them. Rumors, I know...), x74 and now a few of us running the Ohlins R&T and Feal. AFAIC the more options that are documented here the better the community will be. Especially when it comes to all the numerous separate spring/shock combos. BTW, what's your use case for these? Go too low on otherwise stock hardware you'll run into a few geometry issues that are well documented here, but that may or may not matter much depending on what you're using the car for.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Why don’t you try the ROW M030? Very well priced and lower the car just the right amount vs your current US M030. I fitted a set on my last AE, from what I remember the ride and feel were very similar between the two.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 AM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
Well, whichever combo you've chosen please be sure to update here once they're on and sorted. The usual suspects for road and DE/autox seem to be ROW m030, PSS10 (spoke to someone the other day who claimed he had a hard time findung them because supposedly Bilstein is FINALLY replacing them. Rumors, I know...), x74 and now a few of us running the Ohlins R&T and Feal. AFAIC the more options that are documented here the better the community will be. Especially when it comes to all the numerous separate spring/shock combos. BTW, what's your use case for these? Go too low on otherwise stock hardware you'll run into a few geometry issues that are well documented here, but that may or may not matter much depending on what you're using the car for.
I do not track the car. Purely street driving and honestly will be about 2-3k miles driven per year in the suburbs/country roads surrounding atlanta. I will update for sure, but I did end up going with the Bilstein B8/RUF combination. Hopefully will be happy with this and won't find myself wishing/wanting for the PSS10 or the new Bilstein Coilovers that I hear are about to come out.

Originally Posted by D6lc
Why don’t you try the ROW M030? Very well priced and lower the car just the right amount vs your current US M030. I fitted a set on my last AE, from what I remember the ride and feel were very similar between the two.
Was hoping for ever so slightly lower drop vs the ROW M030. RUF claims 25mm. Which is exactly the slight drop I was chasing. Hopefully they ride well paired with the Bilstein B8's.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:54 AM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have H&R springs. It is decently low, my tires are just about tucked. It rides good.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 PM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by professorman
I have H&R springs. It is decently low, my tires are just about tucked. It rides good.
Thanks, yes avoiding going too low. Actually want a bit of gap between the tires where, yes it's lower than stock to get rid of wheel gap but not noticeably lowered. Good to hear it rides well.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the RUF springs are actually manufactured by H&R (I don't think RUF manufactures anything, but I'm not sure). It'll be interesting to see/hear about your results.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 PM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by dporto
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the RUF springs are actually manufactured by H&R (I don't think RUF manufactures anything, but I'm not sure). It'll be interesting to see/hear about your results.
I'm sure H&R Manufactures a great product. However I did not want to go that low. 1.25" (Some say even more). The RUF springs are 25mm which equates to .98".
Old 03-30-2018, 04:34 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve
I'm sure H&R Manufactures a great product. However I did not want to go that low. 1.25" (Some say even more). The RUF springs are 25mm which equates to .98".
Nice... I just checked out the RUF site - they only show springs for the Turbo (would work for C4/C4S as well)...In any case, mighty expensive at $718.xx for just springs... Ouch! I hope you got a decent discount from that #... Good luck, and be sure to post some pic's when finished
Old 03-30-2018, 05:05 PM
e90steve
Racer

Nice... I just checked out the RUF site - they only show springs for the Turbo (would work for C4/C4S as well)...In any case, mighty expensive at $718.xx for just springs... Ouch! I hope you got a decent discount from that #... Good luck, and be sure to post some pic's when finished

Can find the 996 C2 version here:
https://rufautomobiles.com/product/r...ng-kit-996-c2/

Looking forward to testing them out.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:22 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the H&R coil over package for $1700. Very happy with the ride being a little stiff, turn in is superior for a street car. My only gripe is the rear camber. I maxed out the factory bottom link adjustment at 2 degrees and that will wear the tires prematurely. I'll have to do something soon to correct it to factory spec.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve
Can find the 996 C2 version here:
https://rufautomobiles.com/product/r...ng-kit-996-c2/

Looking forward to testing them out.
Well that’s a much better price! I hope they work out well for you
Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_A
I did the H&R coil over package for $1700. Very happy with the ride being a little stiff, turn in is superior for a street car. My only gripe is the rear camber. I maxed out the factory bottom link adjustment at 2 degrees and that will wear the tires prematurely. I'll have to do something soon to correct it to factory spec.
If you have the toe correct, 2 degrees of rear negative camber should be fine. Porsche tolerances for the stock suspension allow for almost 1.5 degrees and Porsche X74 suspension allows for up to 1.83.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 Suspension Options