Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Air cooled to 996. 1 year anniversary this month (long)

Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 658 Posts
Default Air cooled to 996. 1 year anniversary this month (long)

I had seller's remorse when I sold my ’70 911T a few years ago so I started looking for a replacement. I settled on a 996 because they seemed like the most bang for the buck. The problem around here is that 90% of the ones for sale are cabriolets and out of the remaining 10% that are coupes, 90% of those are Tiptronic. So last March a 35,000 mile 1999 Arctic Silver car popped up on Craigslist. It wasn’t really the year or color I wanted but The IMS had been done so I decided to check it out. It turned out that it was the original PCA member owner who ordered it new in 1999 from Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad (North San Diego County). This guy had a binder with EVERY receipt going back to 1999 in it. Reading through the last year’s worth of receipts was like doing a PPI. It checked out so we made a deal and I had a spirited and stressful drive home.

After a year in, I have to say I LOVE the car. It's a completely different animal than my '70 911T so I'm not going to try to make any comparisons. I went water cooled because I'm not getting any younger and I wanted something that would have more creature comforts on a road trip while still being a blast to drive. So far, the 996 has fit the bill.

Sorry for how long this post is. I realize now that I should have started a thread when I first bought the car and just added to it as I went along.

How it looked the day i picked it up.

On its first night in the garage, I put some fresh cardboard under the engine and transaxle and the next morning it looked like this. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a car that didn’t leak something.

Some of the work done by the P/O in the last 8000 miles included:

New oil pump O rings, resealed left valve cover. $450.00

New Interstate battery. $172.95

IMS bearing replaced with LN Engineering ceramic bearing, replaced AOS, replaced water pump, replaced thermostat, replaced coolant tank cap, replaced horn retaining ring, replaced deck lid shock, replaced radio *****, replaced wheel center caps, installed LN Engineering magnetic oil plug and spin on oil filter adapter, replaced RMS, replaced timing chain tensioners, replaced clutch throw-out bearing/ball pin/release lever, oil and filter change. $5,563.12

Check charging system, check brakes, replaced sparkplugs and sparkplug tubes/seals, oil and filter change, fix oil leak. $1093.31

Looking at all the receipts, it looks like he never went more than 4000 miles between oil changes.

It also had brand new tires, as in less than 50 miles on them.

Handbooks, leather oil pouch, leather sunglass case or maybe it’s for the stereo faceplate.

Training VHS tape(?) and accessories catalogs along with a Welcome Aboard letter from the president.

Apparently the only times it wasn’t garaged was during Monterey Week where it had this cover on it (top quality too).

Some very expensive microfibers and some product.

I don’t think the sunshade has ever been used.

Halon extinguisher

Three month old battery

Binder with every receipt going back to 1999

Original window sticker

The original old school credit card receipt from his deposit

The binder also had covers from magazines that featured the 996

I’m hoping to do the majority of the work on it myself but it’s a little intimidating…

Compared to my 1970 version

Sliding the stereo out so I could install the Miniplug cable where the CD changer would normally plug in.

I also put the warning triangle, oil bag, tire mobility kit and first aid kit in the frunk. I have no idea where they’re supposed to go, but they fit nicely like this.

The wheels on the car were in amazing condition but the Twists just don't do it for me so I decided to go with the Sport Classic II.

Starting on wheel disassembly.

My wheel polishing guy in Logan Heights es no mas so I had to do it myself. This is an area where I FULLY support using local businesses but sheesh, I was getting some insane quotes.

Just because someone is the country legally, doesn't mean they should price gouge.

Busy weekend ahead.

Exhaust upgrade(?)

Exhaust finished pending some minor adjustment on the tips.

Put the 'new' wheels on.

Starting on some of the interior stuff.

Installed the 997 shifter and a non-gray **** and gaiter.

I also installed a USB charging port in the new black center console's storage compartment.

I decided that I'm not going to do ANYTHING to this car that isn't 100% reversible so I used the cell phone option plug that is both switched and unswitched.

With this pigtail from Becker Autosound, so no wiring hacks for the USB port.

Installed the Sport Wheel and got rid of another gray item, which was nice.

I bought the M030 ROW Sport Suspension and it was surprisingly cheap.

A guy at work totalled his 997 3.6 that had a K&N Hot Air Intake® on it so he gave me his stock air box.

Not only does it look a lot nicer, looking at the innards, it 'seems' much less restrictive air flow-wise. I also removed the Helmholtz box.

So a few months ago, out of the blue, one of these Tequipment wings came up locally so I said, "what the hell?".

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I kind of like the Q-Ship aspect of the retractable version. I don't care for any of the aftermarket wings and this IS the only factory one I like.

Starting on the brakes and Sport Suspension.

The links seemed fine so I just cleaned them up.

The Sport suspension isn't a yuge drop but I'm hoping it will still 'settle' a bit..

The original brake hoses were hard as a rock.

I also installed this factory engine skid plate thingy since the car is lower and here, the roads completely suck.

Replaced the motor mounts

With 993 RS mounts.

Cleaned up the fan since it was out.

I thought I had inspected the radiators pre purchase but after reading more stuff on the interwebs, I saw that there's no way to know what's in there without taking the bumper off. So I did.

Pulled the ducting off.

It wasn't horrible but I'm glad I went in.

Separating the condenser from the rad.

You've probably read/heard about the world's vanishing bumble bee problem. I found them...

Driver's side.

I also popped the black grill out of the bumper to see if it would clean up or if it needed a spray of SEM trim paint. It cleaned up fine.

Coming off my experience with my e39 bumper, I made sure I had 500 Porsche plastic rivets on hand for the reinstall.

I rerouted the Ipod cable through a hole I drilled in the console cubby.

I also removed the CD storage thingy and installed the factory second cubby. I think I would use the CD storage more than the second cubby though.

After finishing the day by cleaning the wheels, I realized I made a horrible mistake with my choice of brake pads. I bought the ones that stop the car instead of the low dust versions. I are an idiot.

Somewhere in all that, I forgot to mention that I found a set of the wheels that I had REALLY wanted the whole time. BBS RS-GT.

This is how it sits today.

Last edited by SoCal911t; 05-07-2019 at 02:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SoCal911t:
autoRS (04-07-2021), Bossing (03-27-2020), Gingerman (03-29-2020), Nyimetaay (04-14-2021)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 AM
bw1999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speechless. You have done one incredible job.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing. That's the factory wing I want too but have yet to find one priced well.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:05 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty incredible indeed. Awesome to see the transformation from bone stock to your own personal customization. Great looking wheels and I love that shifter.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

wow…. so impressive! the committment paid off. car looks fantastic…
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing & congrats on a personalized, great-looking 996. Enjoy!

p.s. some wheel spacers & drop links may add some looks & handling you'd appreciate
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Great job! That's a boatload of work for 1 year of ownership - you're clearly obsessed!!!~
Old 03-23-2018, 08:49 AM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stuff!

Do you have the part number for the pigtail you used to connect to the cell phone connector?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What a complete history you have provided and what a remarkable to do list you have accomplished in your first year of ownership. Welcome to the water cooled club.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:58 AM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all the kind words. Just to clarify, the items I mentioned in the beginning of the post that are followed by a price were done by the previous owner before my purchase.

Originally Posted by 40th steve
Great stuff!

Do you have the part number for the pigtail you used to connect to the cell phone connector?

Thanks
It is part # 5001.524. I bought it through their Ebay store here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-AUX...-/252389052709
Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks great! I’m also thinking of going from the standard suspension to ROW M030. Those wheels look amazing.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good job! Makes me wonder what's in my radiators now
Old 03-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 172 Posts

very nicely done

you touched all the items that a 996 needs, aside from the spoiler I took nearly the same path

are your Classic wheels 8" & 10" ?, I've grown to like those, but they always seem to
be 7.5" front
I know they made 8" front, but never see them for sale
Old 03-23-2018, 02:21 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 99 looks amazing! Nice work. I have an 00 C2. I swapped suspension to the ROW M030. I did not notice that much of a drop (lowering) in the stance. Did you notice a difference? Also, what year is the airbox from? 997.1 ?

Derek
Old 03-23-2018, 03:17 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fracture
very nicely done

you touched all the items that a 996 needs, aside from the spoiler I took nearly the same path

are your Classic wheels 8" & 10" ?, I've grown to like those, but they always seem to
be 7.5" front
I know they made 8" front, but never see them for sale
As I mentioned, I'm not 100% on the spoiler but I kept the original intact so if I go back, it's just four bolts and a plug. And yes, the front wheels are 7.5

Originally Posted by dedens
Your 99 looks amazing! Nice work. I have an 00 C2. I swapped suspension to the ROW M030. I did not notice that much of a drop (lowering) in the stance. Did you notice a difference? Also, what year is the airbox from? 997.1 ?
I didn't notice much of a drop but I've only put about 30 miles on since the install. I'm hoping for a little more after I get some more miles on it. From everything I've read, there is only about 10mm drop with these though.

The airbox is from a 997 3.6. I left the small hose on because I was worried about failing smog. I plugged it from below so it would look stock.

Last edited by SoCal911t; 03-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air cooled to 996. 1 year anniversary this month (long)