Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coil packs and plugs. How often to change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coil packs and plugs. How often to change?

How frequently should these be changed and any tips on DIY? For 01 C2 Cab. Is the Pelican article a good place to start?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Here is the service schedule.
https://gaudinporschelv.com/images/d...oxster_986.pdf
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you replace coil packs for any reason other than one went bad?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
Why would you replace coil packs for any reason other than one went bad?
They are plastic and tend to crack with age and then water intrusion may become a problem.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

When you're ready to do your ignition coils and spark plugs, here are the links to purchase.

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/BERU...997-602-107-02

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/cata...ion-Spark.Plug

-Jason
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
They are plastic and tend to crack with age and then water intrusion may become a problem.
I know they go bad - I had one fail a couple years ago in my 99. I just don't quite understand why you'd want to preemptively replace a perfectly good working part. I keep an extra new one on hand and will replace when needed. Different strokes, I suppose.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So looks like change intervals are 60k miles? Is that just for the plugs?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

I like the maintenance schedule from Porsche, oil change every 15,000 miles, filter change not necessary lol.

For coils my experience with cars that have COP is that they can fail in two different ways. One way they will "lightly" misfire under load at low rpm and never throw a check engine light but will impact drivability. Very hard to diagnose which one, in this case I do them all. If the car has been running fine, then one fails completely and throws a CEL, I do just the one.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
...... snip............they can fail in two different ways. One way they will "lightly" misfire under load at low rpm and never throw a check engine light but will impact drivability. Very hard to diagnose which one, in this case I do them all. ........ snip...........
I just changed plugs and coil packs on my 2013 Panamera at 103,000 miles. It's new to me and has had regular service, but I don't have all the details. Many just say "Required Service Performed", so no telling when the plugs were replaced. A missing screw on one of the covers hint that they were changed, but I have no proof. They looked pretty good, so I doubt if they're original. No telling about the coils. I suspect they indeed are original.

Anyway, a spirited test drive indicates to me that the car starts more quickly and runs more smoothly. More power? Well it seems like it, but I also did a nice wash job today too, and we all know that cars run much better just after cleaning, so I suspect it was just the wash job. Still, the shifts seemed smoother and I'm pretty convinced that the new plugs and coils made some kind of difference. I checked for codes before and after; ............. nothing. So I'll have to agree with your comment about driveability.

Last edited by Mozella55; 10-03-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:01 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
So looks like change intervals are 60k miles? Is that just for the plugs?
That's for MK-II cars. For some reason MK-I cars are due at 37k miles (60km).

I replaced my 20 year old coils at 75k miles and the old ones were still perfect. I figured I would change them as I was already in there and the were 20 years old. They're not very expensive if you buy them right. Warehouse33 is a great source.

Last edited by wyovino; 10-02-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 AM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
I know they go bad - I had one fail a couple years ago in my 99. I just don't quite understand why you'd want to preemptively replace a perfectly good working part. I keep an extra new one on hand and will replace when needed. Different strokes, I suppose.
It's called "preventative maintenance."

When I bought my 2008 BMW 335i, I pretty much replaced EVERYTHING, including the tires, brakes and plugs/coils because I wanted to give the car a fresh start. Ironically, one of the new coils that I received was "bad" and had to use an old one to keep the car running. Got the replacement later and just put it in the trunk to use if another one goes bad. The "old" coil has been functioning just fine w/the other 5 "new" coils for the past 8 years. LOL!

I just replaced the 8 yr old battery (actually there are 2) in my MB ML350 because I know that batteries tend to die around 7-8 years and the battery in the ML350 is stupidly placed under the passenger seat, which requires removal of the seat and is NOT something that I can or want to do easily myself. I've replaced a lot of batteries in my time and if I can get to it myself, I'd do it myself but in the case of my MB, it was just better to replace the d*mn thing before it actually died.

I also routinely change the oil/filter in my cars annually, even though I drive most of them (5 out of 6) only 2-3k miles/yr and the other (the MB) I barely drive 5k miles/yr. There's no reason why I "need" to change the oil/filter that frequently especially using modern synthetic oil but I just think it's the right thing to do and it certainly can do no harm, except to my pocketbook which is thick enough to cover these routine expenses.

Last edited by sgt1372; 10-03-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:38 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Or you can do as I did... Start getting crazy misfires (O2 codes, MAF code and all cylinders) and CEL in June. Change out MAF... change out CPS... Check clean and tighten all grounds (I even added one on the bank 1 side). Trace all connections to coils, injectors and sensors for continuity - check... All the while, after each procedure, I’d test drive the car for 10-15 miles to see if the symptoms returned... As soon as the car reached full operating temp (usually around 8 - 10 mi.) it would start to misfire. Eventually, I broke down and ordered both coils and injectors, but didn’t install them right away because I was busy with other things. Finally, the last week of September and at my wits end I decided what the heck, let me throw the coils in... Guess what, it worked... wow, almost 4 months and it was the coils all along (though cleaning and tightening the grounds may contribute to the longevity of the new ones)...The moral of the story is: if you start getting random debilitating misfires across all cylinders, change your coils (all of them). 😉
Old 10-03-2020, 09:20 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I got an interesting comment from a BMW mechanic about coils a while back...

On my 2004 BMW 325i I change the plugs about every 50,000 miles. The car currently has 238,000 miles (I'm the original owner). I asked the mechanic if I should change the coils because they're original, never had any issues. He asked how often I change the plugs and I told him. He said "that's why your coils are still working fine". He said that as plugs age they can make the coil work harder (the ECU is telling the coil to maintain the same spark intensity - or something along those lines).

Not sure if it's true but 238,000 miles on six original coils it must account for something.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:45 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I changed plugs and updated my coil packs to 997 part number @ 60,000 miles.
The car was nearly 15 years old at the time, seemed logical to do, look at it as preventive maintenance.

-David
Old 10-03-2020, 11:12 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

I did mine over the summer because I had no records of when they were done. I didn't see any cracks on the packs and the plugs looked okay, one was a little damp from the tubes but looked okay otherwise. Given that its a Porsche its relatively cheap to do, probably do it every few years rather the mileage.

Quick Reply: Coil packs and plugs. How often to change?