Sponsored by:

IMS Solution o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Hybridiia
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Solution o-ring

What is the correct location for the second 10mm o-ring? The first one is already pre-installed in the ims flange. At first I thought it slid over the center stud after the ims flange was installed, but the nut would just crush it, so wouldn't do much of anything. I am now guessing it should be installed on the center stud before the ims flange is installed. This seems correct as there is a chamfer in the end of the ims flange that it looks like it would fit into but just want to confirm.

Last edited by Hybridiia; 03-20-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

You're scaring me! You are following the IMSB removal and installation instructions...right? Step 28 http://lnengineering.com/files/IMSR-...nual-03-23.pdf
Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Hybridiia
Track Day

Yes, of course I am following the LN instructions. You linked the wrong manual, but the correct manual (for the IMS Solution) does not mention the second o-ring nor does the online video. I have researched the forums and others have had the same question, but I could not find a definitive answer. I have a ticket into LN and hopefully they will respond with a clear answer.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I called them when I had the same question. It has been a long time, but as I recall, it is just a spare in case the first one gets damaged. Maybe call them? Their tech support is good.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:57 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybridiia
Yes, of course I am following the LN instructions. You linked the wrong manual, but the correct manual (for the IMS Solution) does not mention the second o-ring nor does the online video. I have researched the forums and others have had the same question, but I could not find a definitive answer. I have a ticket into LN and hopefully they will respond with a clear answer.
^^Correct^^ The manual that Joe linked to is for The IMS SINGLE ROW PRO IMSB...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybridiia
What is the correct location for the second 10mm o-ring? The first one is already pre-installed in the ims flange. At first I thought it slid over the center stud after the ims flange was installed, but the nut would just crush it, so wouldn't do much of anything. I am now guessing it should be installed on the center stud before the ims flange is installed. This seems correct as there is a chamfer in the end of the ims flange that it looks like it would fit into but just want to confirm.
The 10 X 1.5 o-ring should be left on the center stud, as with the IMS Retrofit flanges. It's a secondary seal. If the IMS isn't perfectly centered when the flange goes on, there is a remote chance the threads can abrade the o-ring that is pre-installed in the ID of the flange, so we added the backup for that explicit purpose.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (12-13-2021)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Hybridiia
Track Day

Charles - thank you! All clear now. Hopefully this thread will help others with future installs also.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Sorry about that. Was in a hurry this morning. For future reference here is the IMS Solution installation link http://imssolution.com/wp-content/up...nual-05-16.pdf
Old 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The 10 X 1.5 o-ring should be left on the center stud, as with the IMS Retrofit flanges. It's a secondary seal. If the IMS isn't perfectly centered when the flange goes on, there is a remote chance the threads can abrade the o-ring that is pre-installed in the ID of the flange, so we added the backup for that explicit purpose.
But the second o-ring is a spare, right? As in only one o-ring goes on the shaft?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

One O-ring is pre installed in the flange. The second O-ring slips over the shaft and goes behind the nut. You will see a little chamfer in the flange that the O ring sits in behind the nut. Just a secondary seal to stop leaks.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:50 AM
Dmhager
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Charles - I need your advice. I was installing the dual row Solution in my 996 this week (2001 996) and called to ask a couple of questions, including what to do with this second o-ring. Andy helped me out and was terrific! Many thanks to him. However, when I asked about the second o-ring that arrived on the stud in my kit, he told me to leave it, which I did, and I installed the flange on top of the second o-ring. Its not clear to me from your prior response whether that o-ring belongs on the outside (nut side) of the flange or the bearing side of the flange. Can you clarify please?

And if is supposed to be on the nut side of the flange (between the nut and flange), then do I have a problem having left it on the stud inside (doesnt seem like it would be a problem since it shouldnt bind anything, but ...)? Hope to hear back soon.

Thanks!

PS - its a really nice piece of kit and everything worked out well using Pro and Supplemental kits for me. The issues I had were:
- What to do with this o-ring,
- Wow to reach 12-20 ft lbs of torque on the stud nut (mine turned at about 8 ft lbs and I ) - I hogged out the 7/16 deep well socket (the one that came in the supplemental kit) to get a screwdriver through it to hold the stud, which solved it.
- The stud on my old bearing broke when I was trying to extract it, and I could have used some additional detail on how to pull the bearing using the backup bearing tool with the copper wire. The length of the large threaded puller bolt/rod is a bit too short if you have to pull the bearing using the backup method - I couldnt fit the washer so I had to use only the large nut and I had back out a few turns of thread engagement in the backup bearing tool (with the copper wire) and I could only get about 3 turns of engage on the big nut. It was enough to get the job done, but an extra 1/2 inch of length would have helped.
- Pull 2 vs. 3 tensioners (the instructions say 3, but I read a post from Jake saying 2 was fine) - it doesnt seem to me that you need to pull the 3rd tensioner by the AC compressor, but its probably a good cautionary measure even though its kind of a PIA.

Last edited by Dmhager; 05-18-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: additional input
Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dmhager
Hi Charles - I need your advice. I was installing the dual row Solution in my 996 this week (2001 996) and called to ask a couple of questions, including what to do with this second o-ring. Andy helped me out and was terrific! Many thanks to him. However, when I asked about the second o-ring that arrived on the stud in my kit, he told me to leave it, which I did, and I installed the flange on top of the second o-ring. Its not clear to me from your prior response whether that o-ring belongs on the outside (nut side) of the flange or the bearing side of the flange. Can you clarify please?
Andy indeed guided you correctly to leave the o-ring at the base of the center stud, not under the nut (which would prevent the nut from being torqued and would destroy the o-ring). There is a chamfer on the snout of the flange that captures that o-ring on both IMS Retrofit and IMS Solution flanges.

PS - its a really nice piece of kit and everything worked out well using Pro and Supplemental kits for me. The issues I had were:
- What to do with this o-ring,
- Wow to reach 12-20 ft lbs of torque on the stud nut (mine turned at about 8 ft lbs and I ) - I hogged out the 7/16 deep well socket (the one that came in the supplemental kit) to get a screwdriver through it to hold the stud, which solved it.
- The stud on my old bearing broke when I was trying to extract it, and I could have used some additional detail on how to pull the bearing using the backup bearing tool with the copper wire. The length of the large threaded puller bolt/rod is a bit too short if you have to pull the bearing using the backup method - I couldnt fit the washer so I had to use only the large nut and I had back out a few turns of thread engagement in the backup bearing tool (with the copper wire) and I could only get about 3 turns of engage on the big nut. It was enough to get the job done, but an extra 1/2 inch of length would have helped.
- Pull 2 vs. 3 tensioners (the instructions say 3, but I read a post from Jake saying 2 was fine) - it doesnt seem to me that you need to pull the 3rd tensioner by the AC compressor, but its probably a good cautionary measure even though its kind of a PIA.
Thank you for the feedback. As always, support is only a phone call or email away. Andy is a tech on the service and repair side of the business, so you were speaking to someone that has fitted these parts and knows them intimately.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
One O-ring is pre installed in the flange. The second O-ring slips over the shaft and goes behind the nut. You will see a little chamfer in the flange that the O ring sits in behind the nut. Just a secondary seal to stop leaks.
This is not correct, however the Pelican kit uses a chamfered washer and o-ring under the nut, so perhaps that is where the confusion stems from.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Dmhager
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Andy indeed guided you correctly to leave the o-ring at the base of the center stud, not under the nut (which would prevent the nut from being torqued and would destroy the o-ring). There is a chamfer on the snout of the flange that captures that o-ring on both IMS Retrofit and IMS Solution flanges.

Thank you for the feedback. As always, support is only a phone call or email away. Andy is a tech on the service and repair side of the business, so you were speaking to someone that has fitted these parts and knows them intimately.
Thank you so much Charles for the quick response! No, it didnt make any sense to me to crush the extra o-ring under the nut, a few postings from others made me question the proper install method. I do want to say again how much I appreciate the support from you and Andy (its always great to speak to the guys who have done this job and know their s#it). In this internet shopping age, its such a refreshing experience to deal with knowledgable and responsive tech support.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

This is not correct, however the Pelican kit uses a chamfered washer and o-ring under the nut, so perhaps that is where the confusion stems from.
Scary how quickly someone could be misdirected and sent into a rabbit hole!

Quick Reply: IMS Solution o-ring