Sponsored by:

New Member intro

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 AM
mfg_guy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member intro

Hello everyone. Been lurking here for a few months getting boned up on these 996's so I could make an intelligent decision for buying one. So pulled the trigger back in early January and found one that met most of my criteria. I have been traveling almost non-stop since my purchase, so haven't had a chance to get any good shots to post or put a lot of miles on, but here is a link from BAT a couple of years ago with a profile they ran on the car: https://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/19...e-911-carrera/. The car has never been offered for sale through BAT, so not sure what that profile was all about. I purchased it locally through a specialty car dealer. But it still looks exactly the same as in the link. Since I am a first time Porsche owner, I tried to follow all the advice in this forum and had the PPI done at a local Indy shop that specializes in P-cars. The car currently has about 60K miles on it and has not had the IMS done yet, nor the clutch. I used these two factors to negotiate a fair discount on the asking price and plan to do both sometime in the near future myself. (Yes, I am a DIY guy all the way). To add a little intro background, I have had a number of interesting cars through the years and used to do a little racing in my younger years. I have started a modest little collection of three cars that I now add the 02 996 to: 93 MR2 Turbo that I purchased new, 98 Lexus SC400, and a BMW 850i 6-speed, all in some sort of red color. All of my cars are in pristine condition and I do all my own wrenching. I just finished a full cosmetic restoration on the MR2, so needed something new to occupy my time. A Porsche has always been pretty high on my list of cars I wanted to own. I look forward to sharing my future with this new car and gain as much knowledge as I can through this forum. And lastly, I must say, the car is an absolute blast to drive!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats man!
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Sounds like you are off to a great start with this car. Orient red is a nice change from the more common colors, IMO.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Welcome
Great color combo
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats and agreed, great color combo! Great that you can do all the work DIY, a great way to enjoy every dynamic of the car!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats - sweet looking color combo. That interior looks brand new.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Excellent car, congrats!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 AM
mfg_guy
AutoX

Thanks all for the nice welcome. The color combo was a significant influence on my decision to buy this car. Being local was also nice, since I don't buy too many of my cars locally. The car has a complete Fabspeed exhaust system which sounds real nice, but those tips are not a good idea. I noticed that the exhaust had discolored the bumper cover around the tips before I purchased the car, and did more research here and confirmed that the tips are the culprit. I will be looking for stock tips to put back on. But it amazes me that a company like Fabspeed would sell something like this. The exhaust was dealer installed about 15000 miles ago, but the burning seems to have gotten noticeably worse in the few miles (approx. 300) that I have driven it. New tips are a high priority.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:45 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I have a full Fabspeed exhaust, headers to tips. No issue with it discoloring the bumper. But , it does cause a random CEL that I periodically clear.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 AM
mfg_guy
AutoX

Thanks for the info and pics. I'm on the road this week, but your tips looks like they may be slightly more extended and perhaps a little lower than in my car. When I get home, I might try loosening the clamps and see if I can reposition the tips a little. Maybe that's all it is. Of course I will also need to deal with the discoloration on the bumper.

Quick Reply: New Member intro