Sponsored by:

Bought the 40 AE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Ben Przekop
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought the 40 AE!

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly to my many questions about this model, and their experiences, you helped me make the (correct) decision to purchase this car! Mine is No. 482 of 1963, and completely stock except for a Porsche short shift kit installed by original dealer shortly after first (of 3) owners took delivery. It has 62K miles and is in very good shape, interior pristine, leather hardly worn, and paint great except for some minor road rash on front bumper and hood. An "honest car", I thought, with 3 owners all in my state of Washington. Chris' German Auto Service did the PPI and they endorsed my decision to buy this baby! Since it has not had any IMS work, and needs a new clutch, I will shortly have the work done by Chris' shop to replace original IMS bearing with the LN Engineering "Solution" which seems to be the best and longest lasting fix, as well as clutch, flywheel, etc. The tires will need replacing shortly as well, and my expectation is that new tires (I will get Michelin Pilot Sport PS2) will markedly improve ride comfort (not only are these worn, they are old, and M&S Conti's) as well as handling, although in that area I have zero complaints so far. This car, with its sports suspension, corners as flat as my 997 GT3's ever did, and the X51 Powerkit gives this car plenty of power for what I intend to use it for (highway use only, no track). The only "upgrade" I am thinking about, and am on the fence about, is upgrading the two mufflers with slightly louder sports exhaust units, as this car seems a bit too quiet for my tastes. I remember that back in the day (2004-5) I owned a C4S and had the same thought, and at that time replaced the mufflers (Cat back approach, no different headers or cats) with GHL (if I recall that right) mufflers, and was very pleased with the results. Does anyone have any experience with different mufflers on this car?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like a great buy...Photo's or it didn't really happen... RE. Tires - If not traking, the PS2's are probably not your best bet (no personal experience, but this is what I gather from reading). PSS or the new P4s - may be better suited... RE. mufflers - I've got Fabspeed Maxflo's on mine and love the sound (stock manifolds, soon to be Agency Power headers)... There are tons of options, so do your homework and you should be happy with whatever you decide on. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:04 AM
Luch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Glad to see another AE found a god home! I think your plans for the solution/clutch are great. I did the Fister mod on my car due in part to the number of positive feedback's...glad I did as it is terrific sound!
Look forward to some pictures!

Chris
Old 03-17-2018, 11:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Congratulations - these are great cars! Here's what I did for exhaust - I think it's just right.

https://fdmotorsports.net
Old 03-17-2018, 11:36 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

+++ on Fister D
Old 03-17-2018, 11:27 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+++++++++ on the Fister's, also read up on tires, many will say that you need to run N rated (Porsche rated) tires but if your using it for every day driving and want a good spirited tire, read the reviews on other brands. Many other brands get better millage with a great handling tire that is not N rated. I ended up with the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 and have been very pleased with their grip and longevity.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:07 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Excellent! Congrats, Ben. Can't go wrong with an Anniversary car. May you enjoy it in good health!

(P.S. *crowd chants* We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! )
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stuff & a fantastic choice, look forward to seeing some pictures.

Quick Reply: Bought the 40 AE!