996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

40th AE Journal

Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My 40th AE project

Kudos goes to Peteb3 who posted his C4s journal, decided to do something similar. I had owned a 40AE a few years ago and decided to get into another 996, started looking at cars and came back to the 40AE, you just cant beat the spec and ultimately the drive. Honestly I have a bit of a car addition and have owned over 45 cars, and one of the first models of car I have ever purchased twice!
Purchased my car on BAT, its a great car, well looked after by a previous Rennlister. Paid a premium for it but had everything I was looking for, 50k miles, IMS & clutch replaced, full service history and the full 4 piece luggage. I live in MN, the car was in San Francisco and I had an business meeting in CA..............ROAD TRIP.
Picked the car up last Wednesday afternoon, I didn't take a pic of the odometer but it was sitting at exactly 50,500, drove to Palm Springs for my meeting. First thing that struck me was the noise, been a while since I had driven a 911 and on LA concrete freeways the Continentals did roar a little. The car also had a fair amount of wind noise, on checking the drivers door glass was poorly adjusted and sat 1/4 inch too far back. More on fixing that later.
Meeting over on Thursday 5pm so hit the road home

Great drive to AZ on Thursday night and called it quits for the first day, FM radio soon got boring, noise cancelling headphones and satellite radio helped the miles pass.

Friday morning start up and the engine check light decides to raise my blood pressure, I was only a mile from a Pep Boys, ran it there for a check, Misfire of Cyl 1. Car was running fine so I carried on, however was a little obsessed by every sound and vibration for a few miles. My old 40th used to throw misfire codes every now and then depending on the gas I used, so I plowed on.

Out of AZ, some great roads, stunning scenery, and a few quirky pics

Through NM, in the afternoon

Texas sunset

Called it a night in Oklahoma. Saturday started at 7am and Kansas, Missouri and into Iowa, all was going great until I hit this

A little tense on summer tires, but luckily it only lasted 20 minutes and the ground temp wasn't cold enough for it to stick.

6.04pm Saturday and I'm home, 2,497 miles, 8 states

Last edited by D6lc; 12-16-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM
D6lc
Pro

Fixed the window Sunday morning, sorry but I didn't take any pics, as mentioned before I needed to adjust the fore/aft on the drivers side. On my car the edge of the drivers glass was just touching the rear glass when closed, and it should be 7mm. Its a really easy quick fix, removed the door car, you don't need to cut or remove the vapor barrier. At the top of the door you will see 2 oval rubber bungs, remove these and loosed the 30 Torx screws clamping the glass. Slide the glass forward and tighten, check the gap and repeat until you get 7mm.

Took the car for a quick drive and the wind noise was fixed!!.

However just 3 miles of MN ownership and -

The passenger side radiator springs a leak. I guess I have to be thankful that it didn't happen in the middle of Oklahoma late at night on the way home. As you can just make out in the pic the end tank was a little crusty so was on it's way out for a while. Ordered replacement left and right rads, may as well do both whilst the front it off and the coolant drained @ $400 each....great!

As its still winter here decided to strip the mufflers off and get the PSE mod done at a local shop, I'll post pics of the modified mufflers when I get them back. Getting the off the car is a little fiddly but not too difficult. The hardest part is getting the tail pipes of, the bracket unbolts fine but its tough to open enough to take it off. Easy tip as shown below, just add a bolt and 2 nuts to split the bracket, then it comes off really easy.

Finally cant wait to get these beauties on the car, love the AE but not a fan of the bling wheels.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 PM
D6lc
Pro

The car came with all the original IMS bearing, clutch and RMS. removed the seals and cleaned up the IMS for the ultimate office fidget spinner.

The previous owner had it done when he purchased the car ~45k, I think his timing was very fortunate, you can feel the bearing pick up very very slightly once it was cleaned. You can just see some light pitting on the inner face in these pics, maybe most are like that and it would have lasted for many more miles. I feel he was very lucky.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Is that a Classic or Pro bearing?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM
D6lc
Pro

It’s the original Porsche bearing, how can you tell? As it didn’t have any markings other than K701 I think
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Luch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed the 'road trip'. I always wanted to buy a car like that and bring it home...most everything I ever ended up buying made the western trip on a trailer without me though! The pictures and experience are terrific.
Can't wait to see the pictures of the car with the wheels!

Chris
Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 AM
D6lc
Pro

Got some time to spend on the car yesterday, removed the front bumper and wheels fenders to get to the radiators. As you can see from the pics I dont think they were ever cleaned, honestly there was at least 10-15% of the surface area blocked by dirt and debris. If you haven't checked, removed your front bumper its a really simple DIY and a very important one.
My RHS rad had failed around the top endcap. Whilst the front is off I replaced both left and right rads.

I also got the mufflers back from a local shop, whilst the integrity of the mod is good, the quality of the visual welding isn't great. luckily you cant see it when fitted to the car and how I have sport mufflers (without the switch) for $91
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

That’s just a light dusting of snow. We got our 996 at the beginning of April 1 year ago and we ended up in a road closing snow storm in Colorado. 996s perform very well in bad weather, way better than American built RWD higher horsepower cars. It’s actually impressive to drive a 996 in bad weather. Of course my car never leaves the garage in bad weather now.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:01 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Congratulations! Nice car, great drive home.

That muffler mod will be the mellowest of the two types of Gundo/Fister hacks. A more aggressive one leaves the end cap and connects the two existing pipes with from 1 1/2” up to 2” dia pipe depending on desired sound pitch/level.
One of the ***** in post 3 looks like it has some damage also.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 PM
D6lc
Pro

Default Window drop issue fixed for $15

Fixed another job on the car tonight, after I got the car home I noticed it suffered the window drop issue. To be fair to the PO, there was no issue when I purchased the car. The issue was that the window would drop when opening with either the internal or external handle, but once you released the handle the window would rise even with the door open. Its a common problem that this great forum has listed a bunch of fixes.
The issue is due to the microswitch in the door latch failing. If you take the door card off and peel back the water barrier you can test the switch in the latch. Remove the wiring connector to the latch and test pins 3 & 4 for continuity, with the door latch in the open position you should have continuity.

If you find it has failed unfortunately Porsche dont sell the switch separately and you have to purchase a new latch at ~$300. Some geniuses on this forum however worked a fix of the switch.

Basically the tiny plunger in the switch breaks, here is mine, plunger broken off and rattling around in the latch

Go to Digikey.com and order part # SW719-ND, its a similar switch/plunger. Cut the new switch apart and remove the plunger and rubber. You can gently prise your latch switch apart and replace the plunger and rubber, then pop it back together. here is the new switch chopped up on the right and plunger fitted to my old switch.

ll put back together and it works perfectly, the switch was around $6-7 and Fed-Ex was $7, but a fix for $15 vs $300 is what I like.

In searching posts it looks like the switch is the same as a VW door switch, search Ebay for 3bd998786, I think this would be better to replace with the VW part vs taking the old one apart, however you may need to epoxy it in place if the housing is not identical to the Porsche one (The Porsche one has 2 locating pins, looks like the VW is the same). I didn't go this route as all of the VW switches listed were from China and I didn't want to wait to fix it, Digikey shipped the parts in 3 days. The VW switches are only $6 so I've ordered one and will save it for if/when my next one fails.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Luch
Instructor

Excellent repair. I love to read about the creative fixes like this...

Mounting the tires and wheel install soon?

Chris
Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 PM
D6lc
Pro

Ah yes the wheels!!

Dropped them off to a local Porsche Indy last Friday to get my current and nearly new tires fitted, wasn't in a rush as had the rads to fix,

Got a call Tuesday, to say they were mounted ......BUT..... the tech accidentally dropped I tire iron on one of them and chipped the wheel

They are trying to get it repaired and have agreed if it isn’t perfect that they will replace the wheel, expensive for them and time consuming for me.

Well is still snowey here for the next week, so the delay is annoying, but not the end of the world.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Luch
Instructor

I feel the pain as well with the weather up's and down's...the warm season can't start soon enough.
What a bummer on the damage, nice job from a careless Tech! At least they are doing the right thing for you.

I have been in the wheel purchase category for my car now...what brand are these wheels? I thought I had THE perfect set
of wheels until I found out the manufacturer didn't have the correct offset. Back to the drawing board.

Chris
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by D6lc
the tech accidentally dropped I tire iron on one of them and chipped the wheel

They are trying to get it repaired and have agreed if it isn’t perfect that they will replace the wheel, expensive for them and time consuming for me.
They damaged one of your original 40th wheels? Oh boy I hope they have insurance because not only are they not really repairable due to the finish process, they are also ridiculous expensive to replace. Even if you aren't a fan of the "bling" wheels (I'm not either and I run OZ allegeritas as my competition wheels), they are part of what makes the car special and I wouldn't accept anything short of a replacement.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM
D6lc
Pro

Originally Posted by knfeparty
They damaged one of your original 40th wheels? .
No luckily if you want to look at it in a positive way they damaged by new Fuchs wheel that probably can be repaired, if not replaced. Whilst I am not a fan of the original wheels, I will be keeping them in a safe place with the luggage for the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 40th AE Journal