Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
cully
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How cold is too cold?

Living in WI, I pretty much store my car in winter for a few reasons. For one, the streets are nasty with salt (literally coated with it so thick you can spin out on it), for another when they are not coated with salt they are coated with ice. Finally I usually spend time fixing/upgrading my car. I have read about cold weather bore scoring issues and was wondering how cold does it have to be to cause bore scoring issues? A few threads have hinted at single digits, but at what temperature are we safe from cold? Would that be like above 20F, above freezing?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Following.

Likely Charles from LN or FSI are the only people who can answer this. Although, with the recent arrival of reasonably priced factory short blocks maybe you just drive it.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Somewhere hidden in these forums Jake Raby speculates on some of the contributing factors to bore scoring in colder weather.

Letting the car sit at idle until it is warm. Allows the rich mixture to wash oil off the cylinder walls.

Running hard under load before the engine is fully warmed up. Causes the pistons to warmup and expand much quicker than the block does.

Porsche’s recommendation is to let the car warmup for a minute and then drive away gently (not sure if they use that exact word) until the car is thoroughly warmed up.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:10 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Lots of info here: Hartech Article
Old 03-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT

That article is brilliant. My brain hurts right now but I have learned so much.

D.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM
cully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JTT
Thanks, awesome article.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I live in MN which is at least as cold as WI if not colder and have driven my 996 for 2 winters without any issues. Porsche tests all their vehicles in extreme climates, so I'm not worried.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:29 PM
cully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Astro
I live in MN which is at least as cold as WI if not colder and have driven my 996 for 2 winters without any issues. Porsche tests all their vehicles in extreme climates, so I'm not worried.
The issues I am referring to are not necessarily daily operation in cold climates, but rather the known bore scoring issues that are exasperated in cold climates due to tight clearances and pistons expanding at a greater rate than cylinders (at least that is how I understand the issue, someone please correct me if I am wrong...). I am hoping to know just how cold it has to be for this condition to exist, as I like to get out in April, after the salt is gone.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Same.

Besides, there isn’t a more fun car to drive in the snow.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:03 AM
cully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Teekster
Same.

Besides, there isn’t a more fun car to drive in the snow.
Maybe not...but I am sure my Ford F250 superduty challenges it for fun...
Old 03-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry I'm going to have to disagree on that one... have an F150 I drove last winter and it's like any other 4x4 except the back end is so light you have to worry about spin outs and traction. The only issue I've ever had with my 996 was when the snow got too deep that it was a clearance issue.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Personally when I lived in new england I wouldn't drive my boxster in winter. The grit and salt will eat your car eventually, (see dporto's post) and even if you don't get to the point of rotting bodywork all the bolts/screws/aluminum underneath will corrode making every job on the car a roulette of "will this bolt head snap off?"

That is even before you think about if there will be increased risk of bore scoring or anything else.

I bought a cheap beater car and used that in winter
Old 03-14-2018, 02:15 PM
cully
Intermediate

Sorry I'm going to have to disagree on that one... have an F150 I drove last winter and it's like any other 4x4 except the back end is so light you have to worry about spin outs and traction.
That's the fun part.

End hijack - Everyone who enjoys driving your 996 in winter, continue to do so and enjoy. This is not about how much fun in the snow the 996 is, I would like to get at the original question.

My original question - How cold does it need to be for cold weather bore scoring to be a concern? It is below 0, below freezing...?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I don't think anyone can answer the question definitively...too many variables. Oil type/viscosity/age will play a big role, and so will how long it has been sitting, as in a daily driver vs one that sits for 2 weeks in low temperatures. Some people leave their cars outside in the freezing cold and never have a problem. Some are garaged but do develop a problem. It can go either way. I don't think someone can say yeah it is below 0, or below freezing...or anything below 50 degrees. Just my two cents....
Old 03-15-2018, 03:15 AM
derv88
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold?