Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 996 HID retrofit install upgrade done, PICS (none Litronic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:15 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche 911 996 HID retrofit install upgrade done, PICS (none Litronic)

(Long title so the Googler can find it and maybe it will help someone in the future)

This is on a 2002 None Litronic 996.2 with OEM projectors.

Lows at night.

Pass HID, driver Halogen.

Low HID and high halogen.

Low HID daytime.

Low HID about 20ft away.

Low HID profile.

Double stick 3M tape on back of ballast with heat shield (not necessary if not mounting on back of dust cover).

Butyl and silicone over gromet coming out of dust cap. Electric tape on wires taken out of original halogen h7 and plugged into Morimoto stuff.

Some materials, didn't need all of it.

Ballast, canbus, igniter.

Kit: h7 Elite Morimoto from The Retrofit Source, price $150
Included in kit: 2x h7 bulbs in the 5k temp, two 55watt ballasts, two igniters and two canbus. No relay harness and no anti flicker (figured wireing is same as in the Littronic cars)

Tools required: Nothing except a drill and 22mm bit. Also helpful, electrical tape, silicone sealent, Butyl glue.

Everything is pretty much plug and play and straight forward, took about 2hrs. I originally was planning on attaching the ballasts to the back of the dust cover hence the heat shield but found a better place for them. its a little tricky to take plug out of the bulb holder and then the wires out of the plug but again, straight forward. Yellow is hot so it connects to red and brown to black, fyi. Put electricla tape on back of those so they don't short out if they touch the body. Silicone/butyl the grommet in the dust cap to avoid moisture.

I left ALL the other bulbs OEM stock halogen to avoid a ricy look and codes. So far, no codes.

Verdict? Worth the money and time, nice and bright, hopefully OEM looking but really hard to tell with all the city lights. Pics should be self explanatory. Hot spots are not too bad (driver could be adjusted a bit lower), cut off is clean enough, highs still get a little brighter but prolly won't need them and no one has flashed me yet. Cheers!

PS
Morimoto quality is pretty good, almost OEM, especially for the money its by far your best bet hands down. Been using them for years in other "retrofits", customer service is great too.

Last edited by michalik.piotr; 03-13-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: title
Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey, nice Seamaster, I like your taste in watches.

Oh, and the headlights ain't bad either!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

It turned out well. Nice job.

Are you happy with the performance of the factory projector?

TRS is a great place to get stuff, and I've had good luck with Morimoto in the past.

Seems like a nice upgrade for those of us with non-litronic 996.2 lighting.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Dr, you Sir, have a grt eye! Thank you, it was getting in the way when fishing inside the fender! True watch guy, blurry pic and all!

CDS, ya, for the time it took and price I'm satisfied, seen better but definitey seen much worse. Basically plug and play, no messing around with drilling new holes, leveling, etc. If there was a clear lens swap (OEMs are foggy) or a drop in projector that was better I would have done it. But, like I said, its definitely an upgrade to the driver and I think it updates the car from the outside to on lookers. I recommend it and would do it again. This was my first time (have done 7 HID retrofits/swaps) using 55watt ballasts and I wish I put a 35watt in one side to see both at the same time but I think the 55 is the way to go, I am curious tho how much life span it will take off the bulb. I have a set of Lobster wheels and with a pair of LED tails I think to most people the car would look much newer but I don't care that much and certainly don't want to come off as I'm trying to fool anyone or trying too hard (I actually believe it or not like the styling of the 996.2 wide body better.... but would prefer a newer car simply to avoid reliability issues).

I wish I took the exact same pattern pics BEFOERE the swap with the halogens for comparison!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

great write up. did the oem projectors only come on 02+ cars?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

shooter, thank you....and yes, i think so. I would not do this w/o projectors so either get used oem (my first choice), ebay repros or take yours apart and retrofit projectors... someone else on here did an amazing detailed write up on it, although its a LOT more time and money.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Can these be installed where everything stays inside the headlamp or do you need to mount the ballasts outside the housing - in the cavity for the headlight somewhere?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Exactly, inside the fender. No room inside the headlight, even if there was i prolly woudn't b/c of too much heat and difficulty of access should you need to test/replace ballast or igniter. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 996 HID retrofit install upgrade done, PICS (none Litronic)