Sponsored by:

Distant cousins once removed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Distant cousins once removed...

After purchasing my 996 AE in November, I've decided to embrace this whole German Engineering philosophy. Picked up a VW Atlas this weekend and I'm loving it. Perfect size and interior space. The technology is pretty amazing and it's actually kind of fun to drive. The Atlas truly is a great bang for your buck in the Mid-Size 3 row category. Not sure how much these two companies are still entwined with one another, but sure does look good in the garage.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow it looks bigger than I thought it would be.

I know our Cayenne is much larger than the 911 as well but it doesn't appear to be as wide as the Atlas. Does that have the 3rd row seating?

Oh and I'm jealous of how much space you have in your garage. Ours is so narrow in comparison.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 AM
e90steve
Racer

Yes 3 useable rows. A grown adult is comfortable in the 3rd row and the 2nd row is down right spacious. It's def one of the larger SUV's out there in the mid-size category. Most reviews put it just shy of the Tahoe in terms of size. But the steering feels more like a car than an SUV. I've got that new car glow, so can't objectively say it now but hoping it's a great car for many years to come.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve
Yes 3 useable rows. A grown adult is comfortable in the 3rd row and the 2nd row is down right spacious. It's def one of the larger SUV's out there in the mid-size category. Most reviews put it just shy of the Tahoe in terms of size. But the steering feels more like a car than an SUV. I've got that new car glow, so can't objectively say it now but hoping it's a great car for many years to come.
That's one thing we thought we wanted but went ahead with the Cayenne purchase anyway. Since it's not often we haul more than four of us we figured we'd just rent a minivan if we needed the extra space. Only have had to do it twice in the last two years so I guess it was a good call.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by fpena944
That's one thing we thought we wanted but went ahead with the Cayenne purchase anyway. Since it's not often we haul more than four of us we figured we'd just rent a minivan if we needed the extra space. Only have had to do it twice in the last two years so I guess it was a good call.
I'm sure the Turbo Cayenne is a BLAST to drive how does the driving experience compare to the 996? Assuming it's faster off the line, but how about the corners? We needed the extra space for car seats etc so we went with the bigger of the SUV options.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve
I'm sure the Turbo Cayenne is a BLAST to drive how does the driving experience compare to the 996? Assuming it's faster off the line, but how about the corners? We needed the extra space for car seats etc so we went with the bigger of the SUV options.
I'll admit I was not a fan when Porsche announced the Cayenne. But then we needed an SUV and I read good things about it so I drove one. WOW!

The 996 feels very light and the steering really communicates with you but for 90% of daily driving the CTT is the better tool. It feels really solid and like you said is quicker off the line. Plus we have a Fabspeed exhaust on the CTT so the engine howls when pushed. With the air suspension it actually stays just as flat around corners as the 996 but feels more planted. I would argue it is easier to drive more quickly on curvy roads the the 911 is.

Not that I'm bashing my 996 as it is almost a decade older and has a very different intended purpose but I really am that impressed by the Cayenne is what I'm getting at. Love them both and happy I get to experience them!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Not such distant cousins
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diamond Blue

Not such distant cousins
Might be closer to an older sibling/younger sibling relationship!

Hey I just noticed the three 996s on this thread all have the "911" badge on the back. I thought that was pretty unusual given that I rarely see it.

Quick Reply: Distant cousins once removed...