Sponsored by:

2004 40th Anniversary 996 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Ben Przekop
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 40th Anniversary 996 Purchase

I am considering purchasing a 40th Anniversary 996, and have asked a number of people about things to look for. Since this car has not had an IMS replacement, most (but not all) of those whom I asked (including Porsche dealers, independent Porsche shops and a couple of 996 owners) have said they strongly advise me to do this. That will likely mean doing the clutch and flywheel at same time (car now has 62K miles, had clutch and flywheel replaced at 36K several years ago) which will wind up costing about $4500. The seller is asking $34,500 for this car, which is in very good shape cosmetically and (apparently) mechanically; it is consigned to an independent dealer who supposedly did a 70 point inspection, and has been servicing the car for the last two owners. (3 owner car, all in my state (Washington) and clean carfax). The price seems fair, except that when I add $4500 it is now pushing $40K, so I hope they will lower the price to $30K but not sure they will. I owned two 996's back in early 2000's and of course at that time no one was talking about IMS issues (ignorance is bliss) and it has also been over 12 years since I owned one. Questions: 1) Do you think the price they are asking is fair or should I insist on $30K? 2) Is the IMS fix a "must" at this point 3) Are there any other typical 996 issues I should particularly look for in the PPI (which I will have done if I decide to go forward). I appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:00 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

One would hope that the clutch and flywheel would last longer than 26k miles.
IMSB is a crap shoot. I would replace it with your favorite replacement kit.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Przekop
I am considering purchasing a 40th Anniversary 996, and have asked a number of people about things to look for. Since this car has not had an IMS replacement, most (but not all) of those whom I asked (including Porsche dealers, independent Porsche shops and a couple of 996 owners) have said they strongly advise me to do this. That will likely mean doing the clutch and flywheel at same time (car now has 62K miles, had clutch and flywheel replaced at 36K several years ago) which will wind up costing about $4500. The seller is asking $34,500 for this car, which is in very good shape cosmetically and (apparently) mechanically; it is consigned to an independent dealer who supposedly did a 70 point inspection, and has been servicing the car for the last two owners. (3 owner car, all in my state (Washington) and clean carfax). The price seems fair, except that when I add $4500 it is now pushing $40K, so I hope they will lower the price to $30K but not sure they will. I owned two 996's back in early 2000's and of course at that time no one was talking about IMS issues (ignorance is bliss) and it has also been over 12 years since I owned one. Questions: 1) Do you think the price they are asking is fair or should I insist on $30K? 2) Is the IMS fix a "must" at this point 3) Are there any other typical 996 issues I should particularly look for in the PPI (which I will have done if I decide to go forward). I appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance.
I have a 40 AE - 33,000 miles. I like the car that much that this is my second one - I still have seller's remorse about the first one. I had the IMSB replaced 18 months ago (preventative) and opted for the IMS Solution installed by a certified shop. If you go that route you might also consider replacing the RMS and AOS as part of the job. I paid about $4,500 for IMS Solution, clutch, RMS and AOS. Any of the LN products (including the IMS Solution) have a pre-qualification inspection required. Maybe you could get that done as part of your PPI. Also, two weeks ago a 40 AE sold on BAT for $39K and it did have a bearing replacement...and it did have the luggage

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-7/
http://theimssolution.com
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Ben Przekop
Track Day

JH Brennan: Thanks very much for the info! Much appreciated! It is great to hear how much you love the car in that it is you were second, that says a lot right there.I have seen a lot of different LN engineering options chosen by folks, the most common being the ceramic bearing, which seems to be good for six years, and the “solution” which they maintain is good forever (“ permanent solution”) as much as any car part could be I guess! My interpretation of the solution is that instead of simply using a different kind of bearing (ceramic) compared to the Porsche original equipment, they are really changing the approach to using the cars oiling system To lubricate a standard bearing as would have been the case with the air cooled cars. If I decide to buy this car I will certainly get the advice of the best independent Porsche shop here in the Seattle area where I live, and may or may not need the other work like clutch and flywheel etc. although it’s usually best practice to do them all at the same time.thanks again! -Ben
Old 03-11-2018, 10:25 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

JH Brennan: Thanks very much for the info! Much appreciated! It is great to hear how much you love the car in that it is you were second, that says a lot right there.I have seen a lot of different LN engineering options chosen by folks, the most common being the ceramic bearing, which seems to be good for six years, and the “solution” which they maintain is good forever (“ permanent solution”) as much as any car part could be I guess! My interpretation of the solution is that instead of simply using a different kind of bearing (ceramic) compared to the Porsche original equipment, they are really changing the approach to using the cars oiling system To lubricate a standard bearing as would have been the case with the air cooled cars. If I decide to buy this car I will certainly get the advice of the best independent Porsche shop here in the Seattle area where I live, and may or may not need the other work like clutch and flywheel etc. although it’s usually best practice to do them all at the same time.thanks again! -Ben
Hey Ben - good luck with all this. Not sure where Redmond is in relation to Seattle but there's only one "certified" installer of the IMS Solution in Washington. Might be worth a call to these guys to get more info.

http://www.chrisgerman.com
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Ben Przekop
Track Day

JH Brennan: Yep, that is the shop I checked with on a friend’s recommendation but great to know they are certified by LN! Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:47 PM
bumerang911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 40th for 2 years and it has 109k miles now. I loved almost every minute of it. Issues I've come across: it appears catalytic converters have about a 50k mile life cycle (previous owner replaced both at 53k miles and I had to replace one recently) so budget for that if they have not been replaced yet; fuel pump quit on me at 98k miles, $1k to replace including the fuel sender assembly. I did the LN bearing, clutch, flywheel, AOS, and RMS as soon as I bought the car, cost around $5k. Also, keep in mind that 40th had natural gray full leather interior (unique color with unique perforation pattern) and finding any replacement pieces or re-trimming seats can be very difficult and expensive (I was quoted $6k+ for replacement seat covers from Porsche, upholstery shops will be around $2,500 for re-doing two seats), so make sure the interior is in pristine condition. Have the spark plugs & coils been replaced recently? The 40th edition have been holding their values well and I think you are pretty much paying market price since IMS has not been addressed. Does it come with the 4-piece luggage set? The one which sold on BaT had all 4 pieces which is extremely rare. Most seem to come with the 2 suitcases only. Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=jhbrennan;14859781]I have a 40 AE - 33,000 miles. I like the car that much that this is my second one - I still have seller's remorse about the first one.
I believe that your the 3rd person that has done this, and at least one owner that has 2 40AE (UK I think)

I had the IMSB replaced 18 months ago (preventative) and opted for the IMS Solution installed by a certified shop. If you go that route you might also consider replacing the RMS and AOS as part of the job. I paid about $4,500 for IMS Solution, clutch, RMS and AOS. Any of the LN products (including the IMS Solution) have a pre-qualification inspection required. Maybe you could get that done as part of your PPI.

the prequalify is excellent idea, the X51 would be a expensive endeavor if it were to implode

consider too that there is a member who has 344,000 on his 40th, original IMS bearing
I'n not saying don't do the bearing, you should. Just testament as to what these cars are capable of

You absolutely won't be disappointed
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Make the offer you are most comfortable with (You'd be surprised what you can get away with if you have cash in hand) and if it works out enjoy the car. Simple as that. You won't even think about the +-2k difference after you've had some time to enjoy it. Stash away a few bucks for the first year though catching up with maintenance. Don't be discouraged during that time with the unexpected fix here and there until you have the car sorted.

This is my second 996 (First 40AE) and I absolutely love the car vs my previous C4S. Completely different animal.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

I'm no expert on 40th AE pricing, but based off the few I've looked at, $32.5k would seem fair for this car given the mileage so perhaps shoot for that as a middle ground?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the 40th; that price is good for those miles. Go ahead and do the clutch and flywheel and get an IMS Solution while you’re at it. Drive to 500k miles and don’t look back.

I basically only drive mine for autocross and track days and I get about 12-15k out of a clutch before it starts to slip on hard launches. I would expect at least 30k-50k out of regular street driving

Quick Reply: 2004 40th Anniversary 996 Purchase