996 Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM
CDE18
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Newbie Questions

Hey guys,

New here. I'll be purchasing a 2000 Carrera in the next two weeks. It's completely stock. I want to make some modifications to it, most of them aesthetic initially. I live in southern California so tinting the windows is a must. I read some previous posts on here about issues with installation of the tint so I wanted to hear some feedback from those of you who've had them tinted. Did you have it done at a dealer or an indy? How much did it cost? Also was interested in getting the calipers painted red. I know there are DIY kits to do it but idk how much I trust myself to not mess it up. For those who had it done professionally how much did it run you?

Thanks guys and I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions to ask
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I had calipers repainted and rebuilt for about 300/caliper. I also have a set of 997S red Calipers which I had plans to put on my son's boxster but never got around to it that I may sell for the right price.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CDE18
Hey guys,

New here. I'll be purchasing a 2000 Carrera in the next two weeks. It's completely stock. I want to make some modifications to it, most of them aesthetic initially. I live in southern California so tinting the windows is a must. I read some previous posts on here about issues with installation of the tint so I wanted to hear some feedback from those of you who've had them tinted. Did you have it done at a dealer or an indy? How much did it cost? Also was interested in getting the calipers painted red. I know there are DIY kits to do it but idk how much I trust myself to not mess it up. For those who had it done professionally how much did it run you?

Thanks guys and I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions to ask
You could just call the tint shops in your area and ask, "How much to tint a 2000 Porsche 911?" The price is set for each type of vehicle. In my area the cost is about $200. Why take it to a dealer for tint? I would go to a place that does tint all day long. There must be an insane number to choose from in southern California. Enjoy the new car!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I had calipers repainted and rebuilt for about 300/caliper. I also have a set of 997S red Calipers which I had plans to put on my son's boxster but never got around to it that I may sell for the right price.
Can I ask who did your caliper rebuild/repaint? Lots of shops out there seem to offer repaint, but I'd be interested in somebody who will actually *refurbish* to make them function like new, as well as making them just look shiny. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 996 Newbie Questions