Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Ohlins suspension (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1054421-ohlins-suspension.html)

Cosmo Kramer 02-28-2018 03:08 PM

Ohlins suspension

I have a line on some suspension bits for my 2002 cabrio from a guy parting out a 2004 C2 .I can get the following:

Ohlins street and track shocks and springs.
Tarret engineering adjustable drop links F/R
Adjustable rear sway bar
Monoball front camber plates.

Would this be overkill for a street car? I can get everything for less money than a M030 kit from Suncoast .

dan_189 02-28-2018 10:31 PM

Sounds like a good deal, worst case scenario you can pick and choose what you install to your liking.

I'd install the Ohlins if you get them for a good price!

lowpue 02-28-2018 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by dan_189 (Post 14837941)
Sounds like a good deal, worst case scenario you can pick and choose what you install to your liking.

I'd install the Ohlins if you get them for a good price!

I agree....

JAhmed 03-01-2018 12:16 AM

Would definitely go for the Ohlins...

Slakker 03-01-2018 12:26 AM

If it's a good enough deal and a street only application, install the ohlins using your stock mounts and sway bars and sell the rest to help cover the costs. Depending on the ride height you may need the drop links but if not, PM me as I have a project I can use them on.

Cosmo Kramer 03-01-2018 12:44 AM

Thanks for the advice, kind of what I was thinking as well. I think the Ohlins has adjustable hide height which is a real bonus .

Slakker: If I get everything and have some stuff I don't need I will definitely let you know.

TonyTwoBags 03-01-2018 12:54 AM

Pass on the deal

But reply to my private message requesting the seller's contact info

:icon107:

butzigear 03-01-2018 10:06 AM

That sounds like a very solid street set up. Spirited drives will be enjoyed even more after you install!

Nickshu 03-01-2018 10:37 AM

Ohlins are pretty soft IMO, fine for street. The softness is why I did not go with them on my mostly track car.

DeanClevername 03-01-2018 03:48 PM

Ohlins are great for the street. Stiffer than GT3 springs, but they ride better than M030 (according to my calibrated butt-meter). Super fun at autocross and stiff enough for DE type track work where you're not competing against anything but yourself. Monoball bang for the buck is not as good on the street unless you're really looking for that last degree of precision, which I'm guessing you aren't since given the soft top. I use stock mounts with mine and it's a really nice compromise and they would probably be a better match for your goals without adding undue harshness. You'll probably need the adj drop links. Iirc rears are already adj to an extent, but front aren't. It all depends on your eventual ride height and corner balance.

As for the sway... front vs rear bar is a big debate. Kind of counterintuitively, from what most autocrossers report on these cars, a stiffer front bar will actually give you less understeer (up to an extent obviously) due to minimized dynamic camber loss. From what I understand, a rear bar will also give you less understeer but by virtue of adding oversteer due to less traction on the rear axle. I have stock bars on mine and any balance problems seem to be traceable to driver input. That said, I'm debating upgrading both front and rear bars for better stability in transitions. I'm just wary of too much roll stiffness on a car with no LSD that already likes to one-wheel-peel in off-camber corner exits. So I guess what you do here should be defined by your use case

Cosmo Kramer 03-02-2018 02:36 PM

Thanks for the detailed info Dean, and others, much appreciated! Helped me make my decision for sure.

Made a deal with the owner and will be picking everything up next week. Ended up with an adjustable front swaybar and a pair of rear adjustable toe arms as well.

I will put in the shocks first and go from there. If I end up not needing the other stuff Slakker is first in line. :)

Guy is parting out the car, problem its close to Toronto so not too convenient for people here. Has a roll cage if anyone needs one.

Vancouver996 03-03-2018 01:48 AM

Get the drop links , you'll need these on the lowered car , might need adjustable toe links too .

Slakker 03-03-2018 01:59 AM

Thanks Cosmo! Congrats on the Ohlins!

Cosmo Kramer 03-03-2018 08:34 AM

One of my rear links has a touch of play in it. When I saw the parts car had adjustable ones I definitely wanted them.

Thinking I will start with the shocks, drop links and toe links. If I'm happy with that setup I will sell off the adjustable sways and top mounts.

Vancouver996 03-03-2018 12:13 PM

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to fit Frount and rear sways if you’ve got the opportunity especially with coilovers , one of the best upgrades you can do . That’s why Porsche offered it with all the sport suspension packages . Check your existing top mounts , my car only had 40 k miles on it when I did my suspension and they needed replace ment , I used stock ones to reduce vibration as it’s a street car

you’ll likely need to do some bushes too , given these cars age