Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Ohlins suspension

Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM
HBdirtbag
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker View Post
I love GT3 sways on track and hate them on the street. When I go up the hump on my driveway, they make the front wheel come off the ground and land with an clunk. I know it is minor but it bugs the heck out of me.

my turbo does the same, not abnormal at all. The car is stiff bud, not a bad thing
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rear coilovers are in. The Ohlins instructions I downloaded gave a recommended ride height, which using their calculator would have given me a 25" fender height. They said this number could be +/- 10mm variable. I went +10 mm with their recommended spring preload and the damping on the line between street and sport. Worked out well, ended up with about a 1" drop in the rear with a fender height of 25.5". Front looks like a 4x4 now, lol.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Slakker
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll post a pic of my '99 with stock shocks and no engine a little later. Talking about a 4x4!

For 1" of drop, drop links and toe arms are not required. They are usually needed with 2"+. And no, I'm not just saying that because I'm trying to buy them.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 AM
Vancouver996
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't initially install rear toe links , as I had no intent to go more than an inch .
this put the stock ones at the end of their adjustment , and in street use they bent slightly .
this made me order the tarretts and they were easy to fit and the ease of adjustability made me wish I'd done it to start with .
i ordered the droplinks and put them in at the same time .
Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should have the fronts finished tonight. I got one done yeaterday. Top mounts and breaings were still fine so I lubed the bearings with lithium grease and reinstalled. I couldn't get the strut spring compressor at the local parts store tool rental, so I did the billy bob method. Jacked up the strut while it was in place, put zip ties on the spring and let it down. Pulled out the strut and removed the top mount. The fronts are pretty weak springs so I wasn't too worried, wouldnt do that on the rears! I will add pics tonight when I do the other one.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Slakker
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great idea on the billy bob spring compressor. I'll have to try that next time. I really don't like using the compressors with the shocks on the car. It's a total pain.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 PM
cully
User

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Rear coilovers are in. The Ohlins instructions I downloaded gave a recommended ride height, which using their calculator would have given me a 25" fender height. They said this number could be +/- 10mm variable. I went +10 mm with their recommended spring preload and the damping on the line between street and sport. Worked out well, ended up with about a 1" drop in the rear with a fender height of 25.5". Front looks like a 4x4 now, lol.
I just installed Ohlins R/T and GT3 sway bars with Tarett drop links, and thought the same thing,they sat the car too low for the street. I bumped the ride height u the max of 10mm and now I sit at ~130mm rear and ~120 front. Leaving the rest up to the shop when corner balancing. Coincidentally, I installed them on my 996 guards red convertible...
Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cully View Post
I just installed Ohlins R/T and GT3 sway bars with Tarett drop links, and thought the same thing,they sat the car too low for the street. I bumped the ride height u the max of 10mm and now I sit at ~130mm rear and ~120 front. Leaving the rest up to the shop when corner balancing. Coincidentally, I installed them on my 996 guards red convertible...
Nice lol. Let me know your thoughts on the ride. Mine has stock sways at the moment. I set my dampers in the middle at 10 clicks.

Billy Bob 101.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 AM
cully
User

Nice lol. Let me know your thoughts on the ride. Mine has stock sways at the moment. I set my dampers in the middle at 10 clicks.
I actually won't be driving mine for a little while, a month. I'll let you know then. I am setting up at 12 clicks to start, then get my sway bars set up, then fine tune the dampers. You said your height to the fender is 25.5"? I think that is about as low as we should go for the street. That is where I am also.

Billy Bob 101.
You know, it is easier to compress the springs, but I didn't. You can compress them by hand to get them out. Painful, but true. I did it, and still have most of my fingers.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:19 PM
dporto
Addict
Rennlist Member

"You can compress them by hand to get them out. Painful, but true. I did it, and still have most of my fingers."

Ok, I'll apologize in advance... Just because you can, doesn't mean you should ! And by no means should you advocate hazardous practices. Always practice safety first, use proper tools (within reason - keeping safety in mind) and take your time. Saving a few minutes or even hours is never worth endangering your physical well being. Mistakes take a split second, but the results can last a lifetime - don't risk it.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:52 AM
cully
User

Hey Cosmo Kramer, did you install the remote adjusters for the rear shocks?
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cully View Post
Hey Cosmo Kramer, did you install the remote adjusters for the rear shocks?
Yes I tip tied them to the cables running back to the convertible top. I open the top about 10" and I can get my hand in there to adjust them.

Got to take mine for a run today. Its cold so the ride feels rough (tires are like hockey pucks!). Body roll was nonexistant with the shocks set at 10, and just a tiny bit after I adjusted them to 13. Adding M030 sways and alignment later, should make it just right.

Can anyone comment on spacer sizes to use to bring the tires out to a nice spot now that I am lowered?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 PM
cully
User

Yes I tip tied them to the cables running back to the convertible top. I open the top about 10" and I can get my hand in there to adjust them.
I installed mine right behind the popups. Only problem is if I ever decide to remove them as i had to cut the molded fiber.

Can anyone comment on spacer sizes to use to bring the tires out to a nice spot now that I am lowered?
Seems like the popular thing is 15mm rear and 7mm front. Porsche only approves 5mm all around. I 5mm seems harder to find, but you can get 7mm pretty much everywhere. I think that the wider you go,the only benefit is more road crap splattered all over your car.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 AM
HBdirtbag
Addict
Rennlist Member

5mm spacers should be pretty easy to find, everyone makes them. Rss, H&R, etc
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's the final stance. Slakker and I traded some stuff and I put on M030 sways and 7 mm spacers with the Ohlins coil overs. Damping in street settings and it rides pretty good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins suspension

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: