996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Porsche: 1999 911 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Welcome dayunbao, gorgeous color. Enjoy it in good health!

Big Swole - good look on those pics. Without you this thread would be worthless.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:18 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 609 Likes on 298 Posts

99 is divine
Welcome
Rich
Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove

Big Swole - good look on those pics. Without you this thread would be worthless.
My pleasure. Everyone deserves to have pics posted of their new first Porsche!!

Cheers!!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
dayunbao
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I'm really enjoying the car. It didn't come with the owner's manual, though, and I haven't located one yet. There are a few things in the car whose function I don't quite understand, so I'd like to get a copy. Also, does the owner's manual have recommendations for RPM ranges? I tend to keep the car around 3,000 RPM, but that's solely based on the sound the engine makes at that RPM. It seems to be the Goldie Locks Zone (not too high or too low, but just about right). However, I'm basing this on comparison with the sound of the engines of other cars I've owned. Not sure if I should be comparing a Porsche engine with a VW engine, though.

Nice rIde! Blow off the Bentley's manual and get the 101 996 projects book and the 996 Torque Guide. They are a heck of a lot more useful. The 101 even has a list of tools to purchase to work on your 911 that is excellent. The '99 is the best year model Porsche ever made. It has all of the nimbleness of the 993 but with more HP.

101 Projects for Your Porsche 911, 996 and 997 1998-2008 (Motorbooks Workshop)https://lnengineering.com/996-torque...utomobile.html
Thanks for the tip!

I've got to disagree on the Bentley vs. 101 projects... 101 is great if you just want to do basics and "skim" information - granted, it's got engine removal etc. but they skip a lot of stuff and have virtually no background information. Bentley sort of errs in the opposite direction, so it's probably overkill for many "home mechanics" and it's expensive - the reason I like it is, because just about everything is in there, albeit difficult to find at times... + 1 on the KG Torque book - invaluable!!! Easy access to torque values for every nut/bolt on the car (that you actually need a value for).
Good to know. I'll probably just get all of the books mentioned. The 101 Projects is pretty cheap, and for certain books I like to have a hard copy. PDFs are great, but if I'm wrenching outside I'd rather have an actual paper book to reference. No screen glare or battery dying with a good old fashion book.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 PM
dayunbao
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrote a long reply to this thread the other day, but was notified that an administrator had to approve the message for some reason. My response seems to have been lost in limbo, since it hasn't been posted yet. So, I'll keep it short. Thanks to everyone for all the info and warm welcome!
Old 03-06-2018, 04:32 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Welcome. Love your wheels. And the year. Color ain't bad either.

No, I'm not biased...

I need a service manual too. Sorta pricey though. I should look for used ones. Anyone know of a good source?

TIA.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Porsche: 1999 911 Coupe