New member looking for my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 AM
Sanderspt27
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking for my first Porsche

Hello all.
I am currently on the hunt for a 02-04 996 Tiptronic with decent service history behind it and around 70k or less miles. Would prefer a 4S but a standard C2 would be great all the same. I have owned some pretty cool cars in the past ('08 CLS63, '10 C63 and a '14 Jeep SRT) and after lots and lots of reading feel the 996 fits what I am looking for in my life right now. This would just be a nice weather / weekend car. My daughter got to grow up as a baby in the C63 and the SRT. With our infant son, I feel like I am being unfair with him in my Infiniti This would help even it out right??

I have read through countless hours of forum posts about issues, buying tips, etc. But, I feel somewhat lost in terms of pricing and am usually reserved financially to wait on that right deal. Would spending around the 25k mark get what I am looking for? I have played on the main car search engines every day for the past couple months and prices seem all over the place...

Look forward to the Rennlist community and continuing to learn about these machines.

Thank you!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:07 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel after 40 views you deserve a reply. Yes, from what I have seen from my recent 1.5yr search (in the NW) you should be able to get a nicely sorted/services c2 (unlikely right now for a c4) for 25 or a decent one for under 20 then spend the rest on bringing it up to speed. But why a TIP? Good for you tho, way more of them out there....but don't expect a lower price b/c of it. Good luck in the search, be patient!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty rare for someone to want a Tip. I myself have a 00 C2 tip (car sort of fell into my lap) and I really enjoy it. No shame in not wanting to row your own despite all the crap people will give you. If I’m not mistaken the take rate on 996 with auto was around 10% (I’ve seen this number thrown around but you know what they say about stats). The previous poster mentioned not paying less for a tip but I’ve also seen people say that they are priced a bit lower (1-2k$) however, for a well sorted car (ims, rms, aos, brakes, tires) etc and in a color combo you want I guess paying what a manual car would demand to get what you want wouldn’t be unreasonable. You may be able to find a decent example for around 15k but then would have to spend another 5-8k getting it sorted. I I think low to mid 20s for exactly what you want and good maintenance isn’t absurd.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Sanderspt27
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. As to the question of why a Tip... Easy answer is my wife. This would be a car used by both me 90% of the time, and her when it fancies her mood or if we are on a long weekend at the beach. She has zero interest in a manual. If I was concerned about just going fast and autocrossing it, I would be looking at a manual or pdk, but then again I wouldn't be looking at a 996 either...
Currently looking at lower mileage 04 C2 (40k) with minimal service history but the dealer has it priced it as if it has all its paperwork and maintenance done. Well see if they listen to reason
Old 02-25-2018, 02:28 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

I don't think its just about going fast or autocross, its just more fun and engaging and a different experience in which you feel more in control and more connected to the car, thats just me tho. Manuals are not faster anymore, haven't been for a long time, nor do they get better mpg's, there is a reason a LOT of true sports cars, exotics and supercars don't come with them anymore (ironically nastalgia for manlyness is driving prices of Modenas and Murcies with the gated shifters...the last of the manuals).

Anyways, you are a better man then me.... I would get the manual, "sorry honey". Or, get the 6spd and buy her a cheap auto Miata.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Sanderspt27
6th Gear

You are 100% correct on the engaging part, sorry should have been more elaborate with the reasons for the tip. At this point, I am meeting the boss in the middle of getting something but something she can enjoy as well. And something the kids can enjoy for just a while, at least while they are still small. I think the end goal would be something in the current gen Cayman for the sake of an engaging experience that would double as a fun track / cross car.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:12 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

You should be able to pick one up for that money. Lots of 996 cars available all over the country . When I was shopping for cars recently, I ran into Tip cars every time I turned around (I wanted a manual). You may need to look a bit for something in that mileage range though.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 597 Posts

Take your time and you'll find a well-taken care of C2 for ballpark $23-25 that's had a recent RMS/IMSB and clutch/transmission service. I found one of mine at a Mercedes dealer...talk about a fish out of water! I low-balled the crap out of them and off I drove. Enjoy the hunt, sir.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Sanderspt27
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Take your time and you'll find a well-taken care of C2 for ballpark $23-25 that's had a recent RMS/IMSB and clutch/transmission service. I found one of mine at a Mercedes dealer...talk about a fish out of water! I low-balled the crap out of them and off I drove. Enjoy the hunt, sir.
Awesome! I have feelers out there to the MB dealer / sales associate that sold me the AMGs about what I am looking for. I hope this one with the 40k miles works out in the meantime. It is at a Honda dealer so I hope they just want it gone...
Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I pm'd you a c4s with the mileage, transmission, and cost you are looking for. You shouldn't have a problem finding one. The tiptronics are very strong transmissions, not a bad choice.

Keith
Old 02-26-2018, 03:05 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

How bout this?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...504975042.html
Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by michalik.piotr
Gone!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Sanderspt27
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Gone!
Thanks for link but wrong side of the country really. With that type of mileage I am hoping for east coast to go pick up in person.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:34 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exact same issue for me. My wife absolutely LOVES driving the 996 TIP, no way she would a manual. It made it more than worth it for me! I drive an S4 manual for my daily driver dose of manual, and the TIP is still an absolute riot to drive, and i get the bonus of making my wife incredibly happy anytime she drives it. As she said while dealing with an aging parent issue: "It's hard to be sad when you are driving a Porsche." l couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: New member looking for my first Porsche